All of a sudden my Pearls' ball does not function properly. It moves in all ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sulavsingh no está en línea Stack level 2

Pearl's Pearl Acting up

Advertisement

All of a sudden my Pearls' ball does not function properly. It moves in all directions but up. I can move side to sid eand down, but when i scroll upwards it doesnt do anything. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Pearl's Pearl Acting up

Try using canned air or push the pearl down hard and then push it up

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5

press the pearl down hard,
    use a qtip with some alcohol to clean it..

i wouldnt use canned air, might push dust to the inside of the screen..
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Go to Radio Shack or another Electronics store and buy a can of clean air. Use it to blow out what ever is causing the blockage. Be careful to read and follow the instructions on the can.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

DesertBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

I had this problem, a battery pull fixed it for me.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5

ah yes the magical battery pull!! =)
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If worst comes to worst you can always take the assembly out and yet cleaning it. Not for the newer users though. If you really want. directions just post back and I can get you some links.

sulavsingh no está en línea Stack level 2

the pearl ball itself is not acting up. i think something is wrong with the os. The ball rotates fine its just that the phone doesnt recognize. I tried pushing it down hard; still nothing. I think im going to run application loader wipe all the data and restore the data. Ill post my resutls. Thanks for the help.

(Oh and battery pull didnt work....i was hoping it would)

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

Quote Originally Posted by sulavsingh
    the pearl ball itself is not acting up. i think something is wrong with the os. The ball rotates fine its just that the phone doesnt recognize. I tried pushing it down hard; still nothing. I think im going to run application loader wipe all the data and restore the data. Ill post my resutls. Thanks for the help.

(Oh and battery pull didnt work....i was hoping it would)
    sounds like your rollers are dirty... that's right, not the pearlball itself, but the four magnetic rollers it moves. you may want to disassemble your pearlball assembly and clean things out. there is a thread dedicated to this somewhere in here

sDOTmelfi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c3a2e5

i had this same problem happen for the past week. i finally got the ball to work with this method, but in the process broke the silver ring that holds it in and now is held in place by scotch tape. i'm sure you can do this without breaking the ring, but i was at a bar, had a few drinks, was using a little too much force...you get the idea.

What you need to do is take the ball out. you can do this by removing the plastice silver ring holding it in place. take something small like the blade of a pocket knife to use as a lever to pop it off. once you have this off, you have to remove the flimsy metal ring below it. that should just come out with your finger. once you get that out, now it's time to get the pearl. the easiest way i found to get it out was bay smacking the back of the phone once. it popped out pretty easily. once you have the pearl out, flip it over. there should be a metal prong on that back that when you push the pearl in, it moves out a little bit. now bend that prong out a little more than where it was at before. put the pearl back in and see if it works. repeat this until the pearl starts working again. it took me about 3 times to get the prong bent enough to start registering again. once it is working, put the metal ring back on then the platic silver ring and you are good to go.

like i said, i used too much force trying to get the silver plastic ring back on, and snapped it in half. that was my only mistake. this is the only way i got it to work. the air didn't work for me, the rubbing alcohol didn't either, nor did the battery removal. it is the prong that got bent backwards from pushing on it too hard/much that is screwing up. i figured this out because when it still wouldn't scroll down, i flipped the pearl around and put it back in before i bent the prong. when i did that it would then scroll down and not up.

so long story short, the prong behind the pearl that touches the sensors is bent from pushing too hard or too often and needs to be adjusted. i'm not a professional or anything like that, but that's what i figured out from my tinkering. hope this helps.
    Last edited by sDOTmelfi; 08-15-2007 at 11:37 AM.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

fkirk89 no está en línea Stack level 1

just happened to my pearl last nite, but its covered under warranty, so im getting a new pearl thru cingular.