Hello! I am trialing my first BlackBerry device and need some help from experienced users. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Stronius no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl - Voice Issues

Advertisement

Hello!

I am trialing my first BlackBerry device and need some help from experienced users. I chose the Pearl as I am mostly a phone user and I love its diminuitive size. The 8100 seems perfect for me in many respects, but I am experiencing two voice related issues that has me thinking about returning it.

1. Talking on the phone is very frustrating. There's either a delay, or something, going on during the converstation and I find myself either interruping or talking over my caller. It reminds me of the times I spend in Alaska in the mid 80s and would call the East coast. The short delay in both listening and talking (at that time distance related) made the converstation very difficult. I'm having the same problem with the Pearl. Tonight, I received a call from a relative and my wife grabbed the phone for a few minutes during the conversation. She compalined of the same problem so I know it's not just me. Several callers have mentioned it also. It does not happen with my Treo or any other cell phone I have used. Does anyone have any experience with this problem or have any suggestions about how it might be improved?

2. Often, there is also a delay when first answering the phone. I know it's connected but the calling party doesn't seem to hear me until I've said hello several times. It can be quite annoying. I've had several people hang up on me as they thought I hadn't answered.

I really love this phone and its form factor and would hate to return it. This is my first BlackBerry and I love the push e-mail. I purchased the phone from Cingular several weeks ago and it has the .71 operating system.

Any input or assistance would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Pearl - Voice Issues

Welcome to Pinstack!
    What OS are you running? go to options, then about... it will give you the version cause that might be the problem

SICKBOY no está en línea Stack level 2

i had that issue before updating OS but according to your message your runnin what i ended up updating to....perhaps attempt to reload that OS see if it helps?

Stronius no está en línea Stack level 1

Specifically, my OS is v4.2.0.71

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

You could try going up a OS to .73 for the red pearl. I can't say that I have the overlap issue. The delay when answering issue is still there, I just have gotten use to waiting 2 seconds until speaking. Annoying, I know, but really what do you do? I'm running the .73 on a TMO Pearl.

You have to keep in mind that my phone is mostly used for data. I hate talking on the phone! I still love my pearl though! Hope this helps a bit.

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

I had this same issue when using .64 from TMo. As soon as I switched to .71 it seemed to clear it up. I've never used .73 but heard it's much like .71. I now have 1.66 and there are little quirks to it, I can't say that I haven't had any lag issue because I have. I'd say you're most likely safe where you're at with OS, does it happen all the time or just sporadically?

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

In a lot of cases just reloading the software can fix issues with a blackberry. In the case of Audio, the first release from all providers suffered form the aformentioned lag, the second release addressed this and Rim is working on one for the memory hole issues in most of the current US releases. I am running 1.66 from Italy and don't seem to have the memory hole issue but then I have a 2 gig memory card and delete mail daily.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")