Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Dash is a great device, but that said if you are wanting the device ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Pearl user contemplating switching to a Dash

Advertisement

The Dash is a great device, but that said if you are wanting the device for editing and displaying Word and Excel pages,then I would recommend against anything that is a Windows Smartphone, such as the Dash. I have had numerous PDA's and would say that the Dash would be a fromidable handset and decent for reading and possibly small editing ventures on the device, but if you plan on doing heavy workloads, I would opt for a full PPC device with the touchscreen as well as the keyboard as it makes the job much easier and more desirable/comfortable. If documents aren't a huge thing deal breaker and e-mail is a major concern, I would opt for a BB device. I had to switch to BB devices (and although I do miss the plethora of programs available for the WM devices), the e-mail is much nider onthe BB and the wife is much happier with the devices we have (Pearls) as they are more intuitive for her and more phone like. You really need to decide what you wnat out of the device and aim your sights towards a device that will help you accomplish that goal.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

I say give it a shot. I have used most PDA's and Operating Systems(phones) out there. All have their advantages and disadvantages. It's really up to what your needs are and how much you like to tinker with your phone to get those needs met? I'll admit that I still switch back to my Dash and even Sidekick every once in a while. Makes me appreciate the BB more

bshpmark no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have the Dash and a Pearl. I hate email on the Pearl because it does not display html code and all I get is the code in my messages. The Dash is much better. I also like the browser in WM better. On the other hand the Dash freezes at times.

Now that I am on my PC I can add a bit more on the Dash vs. Pearl issue. I love the Dash overall. The size is great. The QWERTY keyboard is much better IMO than the Pearl keyboard. (I also have two 8700g BB's right now and prefer their keyboard over the Pearl as well.) My thumbs don't hurt after typing on a QWERTY keyboard like they do after typing on the Pearl.

The issue of more programs available for the WM6 platform is important to me as well. Just as an example - try to find a good standalone weather program for the Blackberry. I have been searching for weeks now and have not found one yet that can hold a candle to Fizz Weather for the Dash or even the free Dash Weather program from Dogula.

If you get the Dash, check out Agenda One software from Developer One. It is IMO the best calendar, contacts, and tasks program out there for the Dash.

I would like to meet the person who can successfully manipulate, edit, etc. Word and Excel and Powerpoint documents on a Smartphone. I mean do more than just read them or type a few unformatted lines. I have tried it and I have been in the IT business close to 30 years and I can tell you it is a nightmare to do and do it right.

I have not found the push email function of the Blackberry to buy me any advantage over the Dash which goes out every 10 minutes and checks my accounts anyway. The Blackberry is only checking every 15 minutes according to RIM.

For some reason I really want to like the Blackberry but it is hard to convince myself to do so. There is no Wi-Fi; the browser is bad compared to WM6 which loads a heckuva lot faster; and the received email format of the blackberry just drives me insane. I have to wonder why everyone has raved so much about Blackberry and email. Plus, my Dash gets signal in many places that my Pearl does not. I must confess though that the phone quality and the speakerphone of the Pearl is much better than the Dash.

The main thing that bothers me about the WM platform are the memory issues. You can close apps and still eat away memory. I end up having to reboot the Dash once or twice a day just to get it totally refreshed. But that is not the Dash's fault. It is the fault of the OS.

I hear there is new Blackberry coming to T-Mobile in September that has Wi-Fi. Maybe the email will look better on it as well. I may have to sell everything and go for it.
    Last edited by bshpmark; 07-04-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Not trying to hi-jack thie post, but for those out there that are not liking the e-mail on the BB, try EMPOWER or BlackBerrySmart. I am not associated with either, but they both allow the HTML viewing of e-mail that I have been missing. I had a Samsung BlackJack with WM6 and the e-mail handling of WM6 compared with these 2 programs is the difference between night and day.

Where can I get EMPOWER or BlackberrySmart? I'd be happy to try anything that gives me better email on the BB.

I am not sure if I can post link, but a google search will bring up BlackberrySmart and the Empower thread is in the third party applications forum (I think BlackberrySmart is there also). The third party forum shpuld supply you with all of the answers to the questions you may have.

Never mind, I found them both. I like the BBSmart. Makes a world of difference.

robertmrome no está en línea Stack level 3

Personally, I love my Pearl... If I were to switch it definitely wouldn't be to a Windows Mobile Device as I have never had luck with them.

Have you considered a Nokia E61i?? I hear a lot of positive things about them and the software for S60 3rd Edition is definitely as prevelant as that for WM6! Let me know if you wind up giving it a shot.
    I also love the form of the SE P1, but am scared to try a phone without 850Mhz as I am a Cingular user.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12