Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I seriously need some help here.Now, I know we're all a little biased here, and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

BBschmuck no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E198CD

Pearl user contemplating switching to a Dash

Advertisement

I seriously need some help here.Now, I know we're all a little biased here, and I've been a bb user for a long time, but I need to know from someone who knows first hand.Is the tmo dash worth "upgrading" to?I love my pearl, don't get me wrong, but I need a little more "handheld pc" functionality. Does anyone have answers for a lost gadget geek?

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Pearl user contemplating switching to a Dash

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I have a windows mobile device in addition to my pearl and I love both. The pocket pc phone I have has way more programs and provides more multimedia capabilities. The downside is that its pretty big and sometimes crashes. The pearl on the other hand is better for daily use like texting, emails and instant messaging. I use my pocket pc on the weekends and the pearl the whole week. I guess it all depends on what you mainly use your phone for.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Not that I'd ever want to help someone leave the BB world but perhaps you can list some of the features you are looking for.

I'm a little confused exactly what it is you feel is lacking on the Pearl when you say "handheld pc" functionality.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

i have owned windows mobile phones. i will never again buy one. it is by far the worst platform for a phone. so many bugs and it crashes. not worth it.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

think we have a winner pearl but both phones are nice like everyone else above said and i cant stress it enough is windows base phones OS seem to crash often.

kidblue no está en línea Stack level 2

I had the same issue, only backwards. I was a Sidekick user, VERY happy (with the exception of the size), looking to "step it up" to a more professional device. I immediately went to the Dash for its wifi and customizability of a full-featured OS. I was VERY disappointed. Windows Mobile is a full-featured OS with all the issues that its big brother comes with. It's also rather slow, unwieldy and applications tend to not play nice with each other because of so much third-party incongruence. The Pearl has been a breath of fresh air, and nothing, absolutely nothing can beat the push email. It just works and very few devices just work. What you lose is a more open developer base, but generally I've been finding that something for everyone exists on the BB platform...

PIN/ID
    23E198CD

See, I'm intersted in things like pocket word and excel. I've tried the apps the bb has to offer, but they aren't very user friendly. I also want the handheld Franklin Covey software. Bb doesn't seem to have the equivalent.

courtlandre no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF64F9

I used a BB 7100 then a Pearl. I currently use a motorola Q (just because the service plan I have is amazing) and the BB's are much better. The interface is just much smoother and more user friendly. That being said, the windows devices do ALOT more and have more software available.

Flidus no está en línea Stack level 2

I have had the MDA from TMO and I hated the thing... excel is good and so is word.... but are you really going to use them that much? Plus the size of the thing is HUGE. I like to keep phones in my pocket, but that thing is to much... constantly cleaning the screen. with TMO i have the bb plan that cost me $20 extra a month. I can surf the web all I want and do a lot more than I did with the other one.

And who can beat free ring tones?

Encrypt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC6F6

I have the MDA, the Dash, and the Pearl (and a bunch of other smartphones) and so far the Blackberry has been the most stable, reliable phone I've had. WM5/6 is a very customizable OS, and its really not as bad as I see people make it out to be. When compared with the BB OS, WM cannot hold a candle. I've been completely satisfied with my move away from WM. The BB OS is just more user friendly, I NEVER have to reset my Pearl, things work fast and the way they should. There are far less "quirks" on the blackberry, the Dash/MDA needed many apps to get things to work right. The Dash is significantly bigger and personally the keyboard didn't feel as nice as my Pearl's. I have missed nothing, and had zero remorse coming to the BB.

rkelley_10 no está en línea Stack level 1

I've got a dash for sale. Fresh off of a warranty exchange so the first sim that is inserted upon starting it will have a year warranty and be eligible to add insurance. Just PM me if you're interested.

PIN/ID
    23E198CD

If not the dash, what about the wing?

Encrypt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC6F6

This wing is huge. It's primarily a data device with phone capabilities. The dash is a phone first, data second. The touch screen is nothing to write home about, and the form factor is very bulky in the pocket. Just my $.02

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I think the real issue here is that you are looking to do Word / Excel work on your handheld. Let me just say one thing about this idea.

I used to have an Excel / Word application for my palm pilot. Even with an external keyboard, I found the screen simply too small and the applications too limiting to correctly and accurately display or update data. While I could add to word documents, I found a lot of the formatting just didn't work out right. Perhaps your documents are simpler than mine were, but I found headings, tables and custom styles gave the editor fits. Excel was a bit better, but here at work we use a ton of VBasic macros and they didn't work well (if at all) on the handheld.

Therefore, I think that finding a very small laptop / tablet pc would be a better option for most of this work. At least something that can natively run the applications.

I can't speak to your Franklin software. I'm assuming it's some sort of calender / todo software. Perhaps you can find a more suitable calender for your needs and keep the BB?

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

MannyC525 no está en línea Stack level 2

I used the T-Mobile Dash to setup a customer's EDGE connection to his laptop (as I work in IT). Although the compablility with the Windows Vista OS was excellent, I felt that the device was too tedious in order to do a simple task (which was to active the USB connection for the Internet to go through to the laptop). Also, I felt that the device was too bulky for my needs, which is why I went with the Pearl. I'm pretty satisfied with the Pearl as I used it for texting, phone and as an agenda which I sync with Outlook. I would have to say that it all depends on what are your needs. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast