I am a medical device sales rep and have been using some form of a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Akayak65 no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl/Treo/Blackjack Dilemma

Advertisement

I am a medical device sales rep and have been using some form of a Palm based phone from Sprint since 1998. I used one of the old grey scale flip phones to the I300 and then the Treo 600 and now the Treo 650. The 650 has been used for about a year. So I have a history with the Palm OS system and like it. I use versamail for Outlook as my primary e-mail application when I travel to stay in touch with corporate and customers. So I don’t have to lug my laptop along. I do not use any Documents to Go applications but could certainly use it.

Sprint service has gotten continually worse in my neighborhood and house over the last 4 years. While giving Sprint the benefit of the doubt that they would fix it, they haven’t. My phones signal strength bounces around from Roaming to 1 to 2 bars of strength to No Service all in the span of several minutes all while sitting on my desk. This was true of the 600 as well. And I have experienced UNBELIEVABLEY BAD customer support over the last 3 months. But that’s an entirely different post.

So now my Sprint contract is finally up. I intend on going with Cingular as many of my neighbors use it and it seems to be the only service that works consistently in my home and hospitals that I work in . I tried a 700W with Verizon and service was no better than Sprint.

So my question is to go with the Treo 680 with Cingular or to maybe go with the BlackJack or even the Blackberry Pearl? The 680 seems like a lateral move but maintains the touch screen and familiar Palm OS. But the BlackJack is intriguing with WM5 and the Windows Office Applications. And the Blackberry Pearl seems a very interesting option as well with its word recognition in e-mail and text. I also like the option of long battery life with the Pearl.

Does anyone have any experience moving from a Treo 650 to a BlackJack or a Blackberry Pearl, or vice versa, and what was your learning curve, happiness with the switch, etc.?

I carry my Treo 650 phone with a silicone skin in my pocket. I refuse to use a holster. So the problem with the Pearl’s trackball getting jostled and turning the ringer off or making mystery calls from my pocket could be a deal breaker.

Thanks

tony597fittr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B9B8D

Re: Pearl/Treo/Blackjack Dilemma

I have never used a treo or the blackjack. Before I got my pearl I was on this forum learning and asking questions about which to get and from what people say the BB os is the best, never crashes and is very stable unlike the other two.
    You should look at Tmobile, there voice and BB service is the cheapest out of all the carriers. I was nervous switching from Verizon to Tmobile before, but I am happy with them.
    Also the new updates stop the trackball muting problems.
    Last edited by tony597fittr; 12-05-2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello and welcome to pinstack. I have no experience with any other smartphone than Blackberry.

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Hi and Welcome,

Just a couple of observations here, switching providers soundslike the best option for you and if Cingular works best in your area, go with them.

As for wich device, well that is very much a personal decision. Having said that I will give my 2 cents worth.

I have used Palm, Windows, and BB devices in the past. For me the BB works the best. I primarilly use it for email and my company has a BES server to allow my corporate email to be sent automatically. I also have my personal email sent to it as well. I think for email this is definately the best device.

You did not say what else you use the device for. Are there other applications that you use. You can view attachments for the basics, Word, Excel, PDF and you can get add-on products to give you edit capabilities for the office apps.

The biggest transition you would have is not having a touch screen. None of the BB's have this.

I have not used the blackjack to know how well it works so I cannot comment on that, however I do have a user with the treo and he has gone thru 3 of them with various issues.

Well i am not sure if this was helpful or not, but feel free to contact me if you need any more info.

Mike

The cingular version of the pearl does not mess with the ringer when in your pocket. (in fact a OS update to the other models will stop that as well)

ErikRL no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23de7e82

the blackjack is really similar to the motorola Q.... we tested that here at work and were not impressed in any way with it.

we have the same problem with treos as ffmike said, everyone here has complained about the OS, and reliabliity of the hardware, and all but one has been replaced at least once in less then a year.

we also have a BES and have been supporting BB for about 3-4 years company wide. our vice presidents, president, and executives love them, and have been able to figure them out inside and out (these are all guys with the power button of their computer labeled, and the icon for outlook renamed to "Mail")

i would highly reccomend the perl.... and depending on your area, T-Mobile i have had it for years and have been nothing buyt completely satisfied with just about every aspect of my service the entire time

good luck and welcome either way

tl_1981 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have used the Treo 650 and it depends what you need it for. If it is just emails like you say then you can't beat the bberry

mcookyconsp no está en línea Stack level 2

I've used treo 650, blackjack and always came back to BB, its one of the best os ever. treo drops calls, hangs. blackjack is total Sh....... very bad os and battery life.
    Hope this helps

AngelJo008 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have used the treo 680 and WM5 devices and let me tell you....go with the blackberry. The treo 680 has some major issues such as battery life. for example, I just bought the 680 and for one day had it charges at 100%. this was at 8 am when I took it off the charger. By 3:30pm I was at 23% battery with no usage what so ever!!! It remained in my holster all day. It locks up and I had 2 resets in a span of less than 24 hours. As for the WM5 devices, if you are into tweaking, have fun. You have to tweak a WM5 device in order for it to work as it should in the first place. I have owed a number of devices and by far, once I came to the BB, I will never change to palm or WM ever again. Symbian even has it's issues. It really comes down to preferences. I prefer something that works, period. (BB)

2ndHalfCor no está en línea Stack level 1

I was a long time PalmOS user before switching to the BB (although I never had a Treo). I also switched to a WM5 device (TMO Dash) for about 3 weeks (which was as long as I could handle it). There are things about the Palm I really miss, especially its large 3rd party software base and terrific 3rd party PIM apps like Datebk6 and Keysuite. The BB versions are far inferior, and there are some applications for the Palm for which there is no adequate replacement at any price on the BB. No device is perfect (sigh!). However, for me, the stability and functionality of the BB simply overwhelms all other considerations. It just works and keeps working just like you expect it to. When you use a device for business, as opposed to just for kicks, it has to work. That's why the BB is so popular among business users: it just works. I thought the push email would be a minor perk, but once you've had it, you can hardly live without it.

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6

The blackberry is the undisputed king of email. The 650 crashed twice a day for me when I used the internet. And the company kicked in the BB for free so I sticking to it. I only lost goofy apps that the Treo had like guessing your gender based on birthdate and my palmasutra. That might be a great idea. Anyone what to create a bbsutra?