I've been browsing the site looking for an answer or someone with a similar problem ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

xFusioNx no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl Trackball question

Advertisement

I've been browsing the site looking for an answer or someone with a similar problem but I can't seem to find one.

I've had my pearl since July and it's great, but last week I went to click with the trackball and it was unresponsive. The trackball moved around and selected everything, but I couldn't get the clicking of the trackball to function. I let it sit for a while, removed the battery, etc and when I powered it back on it worked for a while, but then it stopped again. It also sometimes will randomly come to life on its own, selecting my call log and dialing the last person I called, or selecting my messages icon and randomly sending blank texts out to the last person I texted. I don't really get what's going on.

I'm assuming it's an issue with the actual button under the trackball. However I don't really want to take anything other than the trackball assembly itself apart to see what's wrong.

My other issue is that I called RIM and spoke to customer care. They told me that the phone is only serviced in warranty by the original point of sale, not by RIM so I can't warranty it. They told me if I wanted them to replace or repair it, it would cost me 220 dollars, more or less the cost of a new device. That is absurd. How on earth do you warranty this phone then? When I purchased it I was told it had a manufaturers warranty for 1year.

Any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Re: Pearl Trackball question

well did you get form your service provider or did you get it from or from someone else ro from rbay? if you got it from your service provider you can contact them and do a warranty exchange. if not try and do this at your own risk
    try pulling the silver ring out from around your ball and pull it out. blow it out, and replace it. it may work.

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

DORKMAN1981 no está en línea Stack level 1

open the back and take out the battery. check the bottom of the battery and their should be a white sticker. if it's red, then it got wet.
    now, check by the memory card. their should be a white sticker at the "wall" where the top of the memory card. if that's red, it got wet.

that's what happened to me. i just opened it up, took everything (battery, sim, mem card) out and let it dry. works fine now, but insurance won't do squat with red on it. replace your battery if that's the only thing thats red.

xFusioNx no está en línea Stack level 1

I purchased it from eBay for 249.99. Guy who sold it to me only sells Blackberrys and has 99% positive feedback. He sells them saying they have a 1 year manufacturer warranty. The phone I got was completely brand new, sealed in a box etc. I sent him a message, as of yet no response on how I'd go about using this warranty.

I took the trackball out and cleaned it, I looked at the stickers, nothing. I checked for corrosion, nothing. The phone has never gotten wet, I pretty much leave it in my truck while working so it never gets any kind of shock/pressure applied to it. Not really sure what the deal is with this phone. I'm reloading the software on it in hopes of it being the cause of the issue.

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

that bites, im not too sure but did you pay with paypal. I think if he doesn't respond can't you file a dispute, only thing is i heard it takes forever...........good luck!