Hello, I'm new to BB, just got the "Pearl" from T-Mo. I'm coming from a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tMax no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E2018A

Pearl/T-Mobile Zen Application Shortcuts, Fonts

Advertisement

Hello, I'm new to BB, just got the "Pearl" from T-Mo. I'm coming from a Symbian/S60 phone and, so far, I love the Pearl!
    A couple of things bug me though:
    - I like the T-Mo Zen theme, but launching any application that's not one of the top 5 is hair-raising! Even without 3rd party apps, the list is so long that I keep finding myself scrolling back and forth to find the app I'm looking for. Is there a way to assign shortcuts to launching apps? (On my Symbian phone I was able to switch between list and grid views for applications and I could put applications into folders.) Everything else seems to have been designed better, why not the launcher?
    - Who designed these fonts? They are ugly and they are hard to read. The "square" ones (BB Condensed, Millbank, -tall) are especially bad. Clarity is ok, but runs so wide that menu text often gets trunkated... Are there any 3rd party fonts out there??? Palm has managed to design fonts that are crisp and clean and easy on the eyes -why not RIM?
    - The Map applications seems to have a few bugs that need to be worked out. I installed "Google Maps" (which is free) and seems to work a lot better, even if it doesn't "talk" to the address book. The Map app has a hard time finding some addresses (maybe it's really finnikey about the formating?) and can't understand zip codes. Also, I haven't figured out how to look for businesses near a location...

Everything else, though, is impressive. A really well thought-out operating system in a very sleek package! Many of the bad things that people say about the BB I don't find to be true! In my opinion this phone beats any Symbian phone by a wide margin!

I'm on a Mac, using PocketMac 4 and it seems to be working just fine. I'm having a hard time finding 3rd party apps that don't come as Windows downloads, but I think that's a question for the BB Mac forum...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Pearl/T-Mobile Zen Application Shortcuts, Fonts

tMax, welcome to PinStack.

I'm not sure about the Pearl and Zen, but on most themes and BBs, some apps have keyboard short cuts that pop them up when pressed. May require "Dial from Home Screen" turned off.
    Here are just a few from the 8700c,
    • A - Address Book,
    • B - Browser
    • L - Calendar
    • R - Alarm
    • M - Messages
    • U - Calculator
    • T - Tasks
    • P - Options
    • D - MemoPad
    • S - Search
    • H - Help
    • N - BB Messenger
    • K - Keyboard Lock

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

You can also rearrange the icons and hide the ones you don't use by pressing the menu key while you're in the programme list. Also other themes organize things better, such as Today Plus, Orange, and Vodaphone (I love the last of those).

penk no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    I'm not sure about the Pearl and Zen, but on most themes and BBs, some apps have keyboard short cuts that pop them up when pressed. May require "Dial from Home Screen" turned off.
    the Pearl, and previous SureType models (7100n, 7105t, 7130n) do not offer a selectable "Dial from Home Screen" option*.

a now-disabled "side-effect" (bug, glitch, god-send?) of the Zen theme does allow 3 home screen shortcuts ("A" for Addresses, "L" for Calendar and "O" for Options/Settings), but is only present through Cingular's 3.14 release (OS v4.1.0.292/Platform 1.8.0.144).

like above, the best solution is to hide everything you can and then order the remaining icons according to your usage frequency.

* asinine to not allow this option given that all 'berry models now have dedicated Phone application buttons via the green Send key

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Thanks for the info Penk.

Rebjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    23E2018A

Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by docholliday
    You can also rearrange the icons and hide the ones you don't use by pressing the menu key while you're in the programme list. Also other themes organize things better, such as Today Plus, Orange, and Vodaphone (I love the last of those).
    Would I be able to download and use these or one of these themes on my 8100? I'm with T-Mo USA. Where would I find these themes?

- tMax

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Tmax, try pointing your bb browser to:

Mobile.blackberry.com

They have themes for the 8100 there...

PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

There's also instructions for unlocking vendor themes (I personally use and love the Vodaphone theme):

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...or_themes.html

PIN/ID
    23E2018A

Quote Originally Posted by docholliday
    There's also instructions for unlocking vendor themes (I personally use and love the Vodaphone theme):
    I saw the link, my head is spinning...:-)

My problem is, I'm on a Mac.

I can download the OS file from T-Mo, but it downloads as a ".exe" file, which doesn't help me... and even if I had the OS file and made the changes, I still wouldn't be able to upload the edited OS file to my 8100 without the desktop application - right???

So are these vendor themes available as theme downloads from somewhere????

- tmax

PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

Do you have access to a Windows machine? I generally use Fedora Core Linux, but keep a small (10GB) Windows partition for my Pearl.