Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 LastLast

Once you have the BB Desktop Manager (and device drivers) running and you hook up ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Advertisement

Once you have the BB Desktop Manager (and device drivers) running and you hook up the BB to a USB port it should be recognized automatically (after a few seconds), and a Standard Modem device will show up in your windows Device Manager (under Modems).

Try it with USB first, and then you can see whether you can make it work with Bluetooth as well. [ I always use USB as it also charges up the BB ]

quietcoolone no está en línea Stack level 1
    I've read through all these post and was able to configure and connect, however when i get this when i try to browse the internet:
    HTTP ERROR: $CODE$

$MESSAGE$RequestURI=/

I wish to add that I DO NOT HAVE A DATA PLAN WITH T-MOBILE.
    Is one required to browse the web using this connection?

Thanks.
    Last edited by quietcoolone; 11-29-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    Quiet!

tensionline no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D217F
    I am assuming that you have TMO or a different carrier?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

quietcoolone no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tensionline View Post
    I am assuming that you have TMO or a different carrier?
    I have T-mobile but no data plan.
    Quiet!

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    I tether using my 8100 with T-Mobile, however I have a data plan. I am pretty sure that you need a data plan. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    I tried everything over and over again posted here and nothing had worked. I was able to connect to the internet and launch Internet Explorer, however I would lose communication / connection. I have an 8100 and an HP with Vista Home Premium. Finally I called TMobile BlackBerry support and I believe I finally got a solution. He told me to go into the Command Prompt that is found in Accessories. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. I then entered a series of command prompts and restarted the computer. So far so good. Let me know if this works for anyone else. The prompts are as follows:

1st one: ipconfig /flushdns
    2nd one: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    3rd one: netsh int ip delete arpcache
    4th one: netsh winsock reset all

After that I restarted the computer and so far so good. I will keep my fingers crossed. Let me know if this helps anyone.

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    I forgot to mention that you have to unprotect / uncheck the UAC (User Account Control) in order to enter the prompts. This can be found in Start, Control Panel, User Accounts. You will have to restart the computer after this change is made as well.

Also the fix works for both USB and Bluetooth connection. The Bluetooth works without connection to Desktop Manager as long as your Bluetooth dongle comes with its own drivers. However only Windows drivers will work with Desktop Manager and for some reason the Bluetooth will only connect to the internet via its own Bluetooth drivers. The bottom line is that so far I can only use the Bluetooth dongle to either connect to the internet or connect to Desktop Manager but cannot connect to both without intalling and reinstalling different drivers.

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by tensionline View Post
    I tried everything over and over again posted here and nothing had worked. I was able to connect to the internet and launch Internet Explorer, however I would lose communication / connection. I have an 8100 and an HP with Vista Home Premium. Finally I called TMobile BlackBerry support and I believe I finally got a solution. He told me to go into the Command Prompt that is found in Accessories. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. I then entered a series of command prompts and restarted the computer. So far so good. Let me know if this works for anyone else. The prompts are as follows:

1st one: ipconfig /flushdns
    2nd one: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    3rd one: netsh int ip delete arpcache
    4th one: netsh winsock reset all

After that I restarted the computer and so far so good. I will keep my fingers crossed. Let me know if this helps anyone.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the operation of the BB as a modem -- the 4 commands clear out and reset your PC's networking... Domain Name and Address Resolution caches etc

You can avoid fooling around with UAC by starting the Command Prompt with Admin rights. To do this open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32, scroll until you find cmd.exe, right-click it and choose "Run as Administrator". Of course you must provide an Admin password.

If you need the Command Prompt often make a shortcut for it on the desktop
    (right-click at an empty area and choose New... Shortcut...)

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    Thanks gkast1 for the clarification. I knew it was an issue with my laptop and not the 8100. I have another question. Why did my computer get to this state and is this something that I may have to do in the future? I wasn't sure if anyone else was having this problem or not, but was just trying to be helpful. Thanks again.

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    Ok everyone, after countless hours of troubleshooting here is what I have found or at least what I am suspecting at this point.....

After I did the fix that I mentioned above; only to find out that I had the same problem again. I have no problem signing on and authenticating, but the connection would only hold for a minute or so. The peculiar thing is that the computer would sit there loading up a web page and the send - receive arrows on my 8100 would just disappear causing the page to stall out.

I called T-Mobile yet again and we went through every setting and configuration imaginable!!! After countless reboots; shutting down the Windows Firewall; and disabling the Kaspersky security it was our conclusion that it was the 8100 that was at fault. After an hour and a half on the phone with T-Mobile, I packed my laptop and my trusty 8100 and went over to my friend's house to test our theory. My friend has an identical 8100; the same OS version; the same laptop; same Vista Home Premium, the same carrier (T-Mobile), and the same Kaspersky security that I have.

I tested my 8100 on my friend's laptop and vice versa; switched out SIM cards; and tried every scenario / combination known to mankind. My 8100 tethered almost flawlessly, but noticed that once in a great while that it would lose connection. My friend's 8100 was behaving very similar, but for the most part both of our 8100's performed almost flawlessly!!!

I then went back home scratching my head only to find out that my 8100 would only stay connected for a minute or so again! How frustrating.

I then remembered that I have a app called "Signal Location Utility" on my 8100 and continued to investigate. Come to find out that in one area of my house I am only able to see one cell phone tower. In another area of my house I was able to see a second one. Yet in another area of my house I was able to see a third. Keep in mind that this whole time I have a good solid 4 - 5 bars between 86 - 94 dB which is fairly good regardless which cell phone tower I was seeing. When I was in a certain area of my house, my tethered modem worked flawlessly!!!

Therefore, it is my theory at this point that alot of the problems that I have been having are not related to my 8100 or my laptop, but are strictly network related with T-Mobile. For some reason, tethering with T-Mobile is picky in regards to its network or is cell phone tower related and I am not sure why, but it appears to be so. Has anyone else experienced similar results???
    Last edited by tensionline; 12-07-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammar

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    And yes I had all upper case EDGE.

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I have on a couple of occasions walked my laptop around, tethered BB and all,
    and found a little bit of difference. It turned out the house was built with so much
    metal embedded that it was almost a Faraday cage. I stepped outside and discovered that walking five steps and getting past the house corner turned 2 bars into 5. (Yes, uppercase EDGE).

I wasn't aware of what you say above, though... that the number of cell towers can matter! Thanks, that's good to know.

Networking does get chancy from time to time. While it is possible to troubleshoot to quite a depth if you have the right tools it is often the case that
    things come back to normal, or a semblance thereof, in less time than it would have taken you to delve in and pry the layers' secrets apart!

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    Ok everyone.... I finally figured out how to tether to my 8100 flawlessly!

It turns out that I had an old style / old design SIM card in my 8100. I went to T-Mobile and they gave me a new one to replace the old one for free. I am not sure what the difference is, but the old SIM card and the new one do look quite different. The old SIM card was very sensitive to what cell phone tower(s) I was connected to and or my location.

After installing the new T-Mobile SIM card, my tethering works flawlessly! What a difference!

Mystery solved!

Doc Hunter no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Does that work on the curve as well?
    Doc Hunter
    20a9d722

PIN/ID
    204D217F
    It should.