Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi guys, sorry my first post / thread is one titled as such, but as ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

spootinsteve no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Pearl Starting To Piss Me Off

Advertisement

Hi guys, sorry my first post / thread is one titled as such, but as of late, I have been having nothing but problems with my pearl, and feel that there are too many, and are too specific to continually be searching for the answers here.

Here is a short list of problems that I am having that I would absolutely love some help with!

But first, some background info:
    It's a Blackberry Pearl 8100, bought it when it was new and has worked fine...
    Has v4.2.1.101 OS on it and I'm in Australia

Now the problems...

1) When I plug the headphones in, the BB will not change the output to the headphones. I am not sure if this is faulty software or hardware on the BB, or if it is faulty hardware in the headphones... Fact is, it doesn't work, and that was the breaking point for me... I need my music during the working day!

And for the record, the headphones don't play any audio when I select to activate the Handset Speaker either.

2) Along those lines, the BB hasn't output a left channel through the headphones for quite some time now... This hasn't really bothered me as I only used the right at the office, where 90% of my listening went on...

3) Updating the OS. I read through the information last night, updated every bit of software I could, got the new OS, and nothing... Wouldn't even recognise there was an update for it... This isn't really a major problem, I will probably be able to read further into this and sort it out myself, but thought it was worth mentioning cause if the above are indeed software problems, this may just fix them

4) The camera shortcut button doesn't work anymore... this is definately a hardware problem, there is no button clicking sensation when pressed... not really fixable, just felt like complaining

Either way, I am largely unimpressed as of late with the problems I am having with this phone, and did look at an 8130 (which is not sold in this country as of yet) as a possible new phone... But that's a whole different bag of tricks I would have to go into...

Anyway, thanks for reading, I appreciate any help you can give, or any light you can shed on these problems

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Re: Pearl Starting To Piss Me Off

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if it is less than a year old your carrier should do a warranty replacement

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~sorry previous post cont. If that is not an option there are definitely ppl here who can help!

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3

Yeah, try the warranty. Also, you're Desktop Manager won't load a new OS unless you delete the Vendor file on your computer (or unless the software was released by your carrier). Try going to -
    My Computer > C:\ > Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader

In that folder you will find a file called Vendor.something or other

Delete it, and then try loading your new OS from the App loader again.

But your best bet is still the Warranty. Call your carrier and have them send you a new one.

Not an option...

I am actually privy to the cost price for smart phones from Telstra stores, and can actually sell what they can as of late, so I can get a new one for a small amount, but a small amount is still half a grand...

i also deleted the Vendor.xml* file last night and nothing happened... I read and did everything correctly (to my knowledge) it just didn't work...

Would an OS update fix these problems, or should I just throw the phone at a friend I don't particularly like?

*i think it was .xml, it was definately vendor
    Last edited by spootinsteve; 02-26-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3

Sounds like a hardware problem Steve. But just for s%#ts and giggles, why not wipe the phone (force it if need be) and reinstall your vendors original OS? Find the root of the issue before trying to get the latest and greatest software. If it is hardware, what about a BB from Ebay? There are plenty of reputable sellers. I'm one of them. That would certainly be less expensive. Pin me if you want. I hate to see some one so frustrated.
    Andy

Yeah that was another option... just wipe it completely and start over... I will most likely be trying all these things before I buy a new phone as most of my money is tied up at the moment unfortunately...

As for Ebay, I've never been a huge fan, but this thought did also cross my mind... and i have already had a look actually

Either way, if anyone has had any of these problems before and can speak from experience, that would be most appreciated

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by spootinsteve View Post
    Not an option...

I am actually privy to the cost price for smart phones from Telstra stores, and can actually sell what they can as of late, so I can get a new one for a small amount, but a small amount is still half a grand...

i also deleted the Vendor.xml* file last night and nothing happened... I read and did everything correctly (to my knowledge) it just didn't work...

Would an OS update fix these problems, or should I just throw the phone at a friend I don't particularly like?

*i think it was .xml, it was definately vendor
    When you deleted the vendor.xml, did you also uninstall any previous OS from the PC? You must remove the old OS or it will default to that and not the new OS.

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3

Ya, most of my money is tied up too....in other peoples pockets. I know the feeling. But welcome to Pinstack. You can't do something to a Blackberry that someone here hasn't all ready done. Good Luck!
    Andy

Thanks Schufly

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    When you deleted the vendor.xml, did you also uninstall any previous OS from the PC? You must remove the old OS or it will default to that and not the new OS.
    ... I don't know?

How would I go about doing this? When I ran the install for the new OS software, it's not like it came up asking for a directory for a file to be written, so I'm assuming it's in the systems folder somewhere...

So I never actually saw a file or anything, just ran the program, it installed the new OS (somewhere) apparently, and yeah... that's about it...

I hate when programmers don't trust people to do things manually... JUST GIME THE F*#KING FILE!

*cough* excuse me...

To start, did you have a previous version of the BB OS installed on your PC? If you were using DM to install apps then most likely you did. Open "add/remove applications" in your PC control panel. Look at the list and see what you have for "BlackBerry Device Software v4.2.xx" if you have two of them, uninstall the older version. Be carefull though because one may say "BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.x", you want to keep that one.

After uninstalling the older version, connect the BB and it should tell you there is an update available.

Flie locations are C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\<os version>

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1

If doughdaddy's advice doesn't work I'd highly consider hunting down whoever sold you that jacked up pearl and getting your money back. Or something of equivalent value to you You shouldn't be having these problems with ANY BB.

Yeah I do feel like I got a bit of a Lemon to be honest... I may be able to get a new one through work anyway and use this as a test or display model or some bullshit...

I'll try doughdaddy's advice when I get home from work... In like 4 and a half hours

Also, he's one post off a thousand

<< no at a thousand now, I will be in la la land in 4 1/2 hours, but post the results and I will check for an update in the morning. Hopefully this will take care of it.

youngkwangk no está en línea Stack level 2

are u sure ur headphone have right converter or right 2.5 mm headphone?

it should ahve 3 lines on it,

2 line means only 2 sides (right and left)

on 3 lines there's a mike line

you should have 3 line in order to work right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast