I love this thing but now it's getting on my nerves. Need help before I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Pearl Shutting Down Already???

Advertisement

I love this thing but now it's getting on my nerves. Need help before I give up on BB.

I just used an extended battery (Seidio's 1250mAh 3.7V Li-ion battery) in my Pearl for a week and it worked fine. Now the thing shuts down after seeing the spinning hourglass for 2 seconds (similar to when my BB shut down while upgrading the OS). I have confirmed the same thing with 3 other batteries: 1) the Seidio 2400mAh Extended battery; 2) the C-M2 OEM Pearl battery (slim); and 3) the C-S2 blue battery (slim), originally for the 7105T. My 2 C-S1 7100 series slim batteries, and C-H1 7100 series extended battery, will not power up the Pearl at all. I get the icon of the battery with a red slash thru it on the screen with the last 3 batteries.

I recently upgraded the OS to TIM Italy's 4.2.1.66 (Platform 2.3.0.57). I just got this BB 2 months ago. I hate to have to take it back to T-Mobile and get a new BB (BB #10). If this continues, I may be done with BB for now (too much frustration and too many devices recently). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I cancel my BIS Add On. Feel free to PIN me on my 7100T at 23CB7830 or email me at ericask2@tmail.com.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-03-2007 at 02:50 AM.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Pearl Shutting Down Already???

wow that's weird...I have the slim battery and everything works great. I may just be the OS?

Yeah it's crazy. I JUST used it less than 10 minutes ago and now it won't even boot up properly.

Update: I connected the BB to Desktop Manager with a battery in the device and still the same problem exists.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-03-2007 at 02:47 AM.

rdc2000 no está en línea Stack level 2

I know people here love to upgrade the OS and probably know a lot more about computers than me. But it seems a little unfair to make what is an unauthorized change to the device, one that invalidates the warranty, and then blame the device when it goes haywire.

I have the standard TMO .64 OS, added over 1000 contacts from outlook, added some games, google maps, opera and have no memory problems whatsoever. Sure, I deleted the languages, the sample video, added the SD card for all media files. Plenty of memory, no leaking, no frequent battery pulls. Standard battery lasts solid 2-3 days even while playing way too much chess.

Like everyone says, OS upgrades come at your own risk- which is fine. But to complain that BB's are too much trouble after doing so????

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2000
    I know people here love to upgrade the OS and probably know a lot more about computers than me. But it seems a little unfair to make what is an unauthorized change to the device, one that invalidates the warranty, and then blame the device when it goes haywire.

I have the standard TMO .64 OS, added over 1000 contacts from outlook, added some games, google maps, opera and have no memory problems whatsoever. Sure, I deleted the languages, the sample video, added the SD card for all media files. Plenty of memory, no leaking, no frequent battery pulls. Standard battery lasts solid 2-3 days even while playing way too much chess.

Like everyone says, OS upgrades come at your own risk- which is fine. But to complain that BB's are too much trouble after doing so????
    I really don't think she's complaining...just trying to find a solution. My 2 cents. We also don't mind it. Anything to help out a fellow stacker.

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2000

To reddog: You are correct. I am not complaining even though I am upset. I just need to find a way to get my BB working (which unfortunately I have not been able to do so).

To rdc:

I have performed MANY OS upgrades without this happening. This is NOT my issue. I said this happened AFTER SWAPPING BATTERIES (read before you reply about the wrong thing). I am happy your Pearl works. I am just trying to find out what I can do to get mine working again (like Reddog said). I am NOT the only one who has complained of problems with their devices. There are MANY threads about problems all over this forum.

Second of all, who said upgrading a device OS voids the warranty??? Show me where you saw someone say that. I have loaded my Pearl just like you with games, apps, themes, and deleted things I don't use. I have no media card in the device. Again, not my problem currently.

Also, just to let you know, I have had MANY problems with BlackBerry devices before (radio shutting off, scrollwheel locked up, charger port broke, power button broke, themes gone wrong, software not working, etc). Sometimes I have been able to solve problems and sometimes I haven't. Unfortunately, this seems to be another one of those that I'm not able to solve and I will be calling T-Mobile first thing tomorrow moring about it (and getting BB #10. Right now I don't know if it will be another Pearl or if it will be a downgrade back to the 7105T).
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-03-2007 at 05:32 PM.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Have you tried to wipe your handheld? Also known as master reset

BB Downloads
    www.*****.com

I won't stay on long enough (2 seconds and shuts down). I have SEVEN new batteries.

Phillbis no está en línea Stack level 2

If it won't stay on then there isn't much you can do. I would immediately get TMO involved as the hardware seems faulty.

Bmd
    Bmd no está en línea Stack level 1

Your chances are if you cannot boot up the device, the TMO tech support is just going to exchange your device.

If your device can be booted up with any battery, there are 2 things that you can do. The first one being the Application loader which is very similar to a master reset, but allows you to keep more options on your phone. If that doesn't fix your current problem, then try the master reset on your phone. THEN if all else fails, your phone will be deemed as faulty, and you will have to get it replaced.

I'm warning you not to skip the application loader, or the master reset. With tmo, they don't always ship out a new phone. It may be referbished when sent out. TC will not garuntee you a new phone.

To Philbis: I will be getting T-Mo involved tomorrow morning.

To Band: I edited my second post in this thread after attempting to use Desktop Manager (does not recognize the device as being connected and therefore cannot back it up. I backed it up on my own a few days before) AND 7 BRAND NEW batteries. Everything I have done gives the same results.

To Steven: T-Mo has never told me that using the batteries I have voids a warranty. The only thing they told me that voided the warranty was water damage (which I made sure never happened unless the sticker sweat while it was being transported back to T-Mo) when I had to replace my first 7105T for a broken USB charging port.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-03-2007 at 10:27 PM.

rdc2000 no está en línea Stack level 2

Erica,
    I did not mean to be disrespectful in any way. This is not a forum for flaming, and I certainly hope I wasn't doing so. I was speaking specifically about your post but also in general about the many, many posts I’ve seen here with people having problems with their Pearl who also happened to have changed the OS. I re-read your post and it wasn’t made clear when you upgraded the OS, you just said that you had recently done so. You must have mentioned that you upgraded for a reason, and Reddog in the first reply asked if it was the OS. So I don't think I was completely off base by mentioning it.

You said-
    "...who said upgrading a device OS voids the warranty??? Show me where you saw someone say that."

Many people have cautioned users to be sure to change the OS back before returning it because it could void the warranty. Here’s a few quotes- two of them from the thread “new OS download at your own risk =P
    “..lot of people use other carrier's operating systems. You can even get one straight from RIM. They will all work on your pearl. I think it can void the warranty if they find out you were using another carrier's os though.”

”…yes, replace the OS to the latest release from your provider before sending it back in. also remove all 3rd party apps.

“I'm worried about voiding my T-Mo warranty”-
    “Don't worry about your warranty. Just save a copy of the older TMO OS and if you have issues, then reload it prior to sending it in.”

And I’ve come across many more than that in threads here. So if it’s true, what it means is that you have to lie to the TMO rep, (or play dumb, if lying is too strong a word) to having made any changes to the OS. (and based on another comment, sounds like you shouldn’t mention a non OEM battery either) I don’t necessarily have a problem with that, but that appears to be the situation. But you seem to be sure this is not the case, so when you call TMO, be sure to tell them that you are having problems with your battery and that you are 100% sure that it has nothing to do with the non OEM battery you put in it or the non TMO OS that you are running and that your device is under warranty and you expect them to honor it. You may well get lucky and get a rep on the phone who will agree with you, but I guarantee they won’t put it in writing.