I've had my bb for about 5 months now with no problems and recently this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

darkrhyda no está en línea Stack level 2

Pearl Scroll Wheel Not Working

Advertisement

I've had my bb for about 5 months now with no problems and recently this weekend the scroll wheel hasnt been working properly. it can scroll up and left and right but it wont scroll down! i checked the ball to see if there was something stuck there but there isnt. anyone know what to do???? please help!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Pearl Scroll Wheel Not Working

you can use some compressed air to lighly blow around the ball, it's usually a small piece of dirt or debris under it.
    I just press down on the ball hard and roll it around then it's good
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

AVT
    AVT no está en línea Stack level 1

Its a software glitch. I had the same problem. You need to do a hard reboot of the handset If that does not correct the problem your service provider should assist with uploading new service books. Dont forget to back everything up because once you do the hardrest - its all gone - back to "like" new. Its a pain customizing everything again.

The second time it appeard on my handset I called Rogers, the provider in Canada, and they were great about it - they sent me a new handset! My unit was 5 months old at the time.

Hope this helps.

Lomaximus no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DEA9FF

I was actually having the same problem with the scroll wheel not going up or down, I found an online tutorial on blackberryforums.com on how to take out the scroll wheel unit, and then further take that apart and clean the individual rollers. The rollers for up and down scrolling were clogged with lint from my jeans pocket. It takes a while the first time you do it, but a cleaning every few months shouldn't take long.

I don't seem to be able to post a url since I'm not a level 2 stacker, but just do a google search with "cleaning blackberry pearl trackball" and it should be the first link.

Just be sure you are careful witrh the trackball unit itself, once you remove the last retaining pin ring the ball and the rolls will fall out if you arent careful, and make sure you dont bend the pin tabs that fit around the trackball housing or you are effed in the a.

I used a toothpick and tweezers and denatured alcohol for the job (I used the toothpick because the rollers are magnetic and kept sticking to the ice pick I was using)

thanks for the help everyone. ill try it out

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Let us know how you make out with this darkrhyda and what ended up working. Good luck.

scroll wheel started working again, without me doing anything?

bump..

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

just be thankfiul and dont question it! LOL! Your BB is messing with your mind! ha ha ha

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

you probably got something very small underneath it...
    mine does that about once every couple of weeks...dirt, salt, something tiny...i just blow REALLY hard into the direction of the pearl no need for compressed air
    lol..just kidding. but ya...it does happen

CommonAnomaly no está en línea Stack level 1

I had a similar issue with my curve. I left my battery out for about 5 minutes and it worked fine after that.

doughboy0163 no está en línea Stack level 1

Yeah I have had this problem as well...the first few times it happened I did a battery pull and it worked itself out, the last time that didn't work, so i pressed the trackball in and scrolled it upward and that took care of the problem. I do want to try that step by step of cleaning the trackball, but honestly I'm scared I'll mess up my Berry, and sadly I am very addicted to it!
    As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.