Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I do not yet have a Blackberry, but I am really thinking about getting one ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

iamtheari no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl ring tone / SMS / MMS question

Advertisement

I do not yet have a Blackberry, but I am really thinking about getting one soon. Until now, I've just used regular cell phones, not smart phones. My current phone is a Motorola E815, and I am wondering if getting the Pearl will, on top of all the other advantages, get past this shortcoming of my phone:

When I set a custom ringtone for a contact, that ringtone applies to SMS and MMS messages from that contact, as well. So when my friend from Miami sends me a text message, I get 3 minutes of the Miami Vice theme song coming from my pocket. What I want to be able to do is set a ringtone per-contact that only applies to calls. Setting a different tone for SMS and even a separate one for MMS would be bonus territory, but the main point is to not have ringtones for each contact automatically and irreversibly apply to text messages from those contacts.

I hope someone can help set me straight. I am seriously considering one of these fancy Pearl things and just suffer from that technological OCD that compels me to learn all I can before I bite the bullet. Thanks!

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Pearl ring tone / SMS / MMS question

First of all I would like to say...YES!! Get a BB Pearl, its the best phone I've ever had! and I've had some good ones........so, yes!!

And as for your other questions, You can set a ringtone (MP3, MID etc etc) for each contact, and you can set a different ringtone for your MMS, EMAIL, and SMS text message alerts, but I don't think its possible to set the message alert according to a contact/person.......I may be wrong, but I don't think its possible!!

rainydayz no está en línea Stack level 3

Get the Pearl!!

Anyway, when people who have custom ringtones send me SMS, etc., normal text alert sounds rather than the custom, which only sounds when they call. IDK if there is a way to assign a certain tone to individual SMS. I haven't tried.
    It is whatever I say it is...

Honestly, I just want a dang *beep* when I get a SMS or MMS. Maybe a different beep for MMS, but the point is that I want to be able to set a custom ringtone for when contact X calls me but not have it play in full every time contact X sends a text message. So if I can have my Miami friend call me and play the Miami Vice theme song but only get a simple beep when she sends me a text message, I'm good.

The main thing I need to figure out is how to make my uber-expensive powered booster kit work with the Pearl. That's something I'm nervous about because, while I live and work in an area with good service, I spend a good bit of time on the road to and at a place where service is a question of wattage.

But the Pearl looks awesome and isn't as bulky as any other smartphone I know of. How is it as a phone, as far as voice quality and dialing phone numbers go?

Thanks for all the help so far. I like my E815 but want to upgrade, even if I can't think of a good reason why I should. :P

iTALY no está en línea Stack level 1

Dialing and voice quality ?
    I don't have hearing issues with pearl .. Some Motorola like my father's krazr takes real effort to hear sometimes
    . ... I dial flawlessly =)
    I know some buttons on motorola have no punch to em . Like the razr . Flat and can't tell if you pressed em
    Pearl has real keys . Good enough that I'm using it to respond to you ! ~via BB Pearl (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'm sold that the Pearl is good for typing. Thanks for the replies.

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

hey there ari, the I take it you are with VZW since you mentioned that you use the E815 ( a good moto btw ) I use the 8130 (( pearl )) and like it alot. Takes time to get used to using one after using a phone for so long. You can set individual ring tones for contacts but cannot set individual alerts/tones for sms or mms msgs.
    The pearl is a good choice, it has its quirks but I'm am figuring them out.

Caustic.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

The short answer to your question is yes. If you set up a custom ring tone for your friend, the song will only play when they call you. If they send an email, SMS, or MMS message it will have a totally different alert sound. (and you can assign a specific tone for email and SMS Messages)

The long answer is you also have the ability to set up custom ringtones for contacts that play no matter how the person contacts you. i.e. if they text message you, it plays the same tone as when they call you. This involves setting up custom profiles and exceptions in the Profiles menu. If you're interested in how to do it once you get your phone, PM me and I can post the instructions in a thread or link you to another thread where its been discussed.

Welcome to the Stacks!
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

sadie84 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask

get the pearl! i was the same way but finally took the jump and i don't know how i delt with regualr phones now that i've had my pearl :P

i've set mine so that SMS & MMS msgs have their own sound that way i know which is which.

asdfjkl07 no está en línea Stack level 1

I'd like the answer to the long answer.....how do you enable your phone to use the same ringtone for a call or sms text for a contact? I like knowing that it's that person instead of having just ONE ringtone for ALL texts.

livexsurfxcali no está en línea Stack level 1

i wanna know too..
    -------
    cause i had a razr before i had my pearl and i loooved being able to set individual ringtones for each person which included text.. thats the part i miss the most
    Last edited by livexsurfxcali; 01-23-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerged.

dhyde79 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319FB186

I actually went from the e815 to the 8130 pearl, and love the phone, the only thing I really miss about my 815 was its reception that would go forever, the ability to select multiple recpients for a text message all at once was nice, and I can get around it, but, it's about 4 or 5 times more work on my pearl, if there's a shortcut here I'd love to know about it. All in all, the pearl's a great phone. The 815 was in its own right, depending on your carrier, either a good phone, or probably one of the best the carrier has seen.....

another random question on it (not to hijack the thread...but.....) how do you shorten the "check" frequency for email? my pop3 accounts are delivering to my computer that checks every minute and I end up never seeing mail all day if I forgot to turn the mac off, there's got to be a way to decrease the time between checks on the pop3 accounts.....

anicolec6587 no está en línea Stack level 1

is it possible to set a certain ringtone to a certain contact when you get a text message from them cause it's only doing it when they call me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    The short answer to your question is yes. If you set up a custom ring tone for your friend, the song will only play when they call you. If they send an email, SMS, or MMS message it will have a totally different alert sound. (and you can assign a specific tone for email and SMS Messages)

The long answer is you also have the ability to set up custom ringtones for contacts that play no matter how the person contacts you. i.e. if they text message you, it plays the same tone as when they call you. This involves setting up custom profiles and exceptions in the Profiles menu. If you're interested in how to do it once you get your phone, PM me and I can post the instructions in a thread or link you to another thread where its been discussed.

Welcome to the Stacks!

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~it all works separately don't worry.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    If you go to profiles and click on advanced , you can add contacts and asign a different tone for each one. Then click menu again and it will bring up all the things you can set a tone for. I have a seperate tone for sms, mms, email, calender, browser,phone, you name it. The Pearl is the best phone that I have ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast