Ok, so I read the thread on how to free up as much system memory ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3

Pearl RAM utilization?

Advertisement

Ok, so I read the thread on how to free up as much system memory on the pearl as possible by preconfiguring an OS update without all the language files and video/music/ringtone samples. And now I have a nice shiny pearl with about 40 megs of free memory. But does this have any impact on performance? Or is this whole procedure just meant to give you some extra memory to store data for yourself? Basically, does the pearl use it's own device memory as operating RAM? Having less memory could = less performance? Or is it more like a pc, you have your ram and then you have your storage space, and for the most part the two are mutually exclusive of each other.

For example, assuming page files didnt exist and the computer ran entirely out of RAM, if you had a pc with 1 gig of free harddrive space vs 1 meg, the system would perform no different. But a blackberry doesnt exactly have harddrive space. It just has one big hunk of flash memory built in. Files are stored within the system's RAM so to speak, and thus you want to have as much free as possible correct?

Finally, if your BB has a nice 1-2gb memory stick, are you concerned at all with language files and napster and google maps and all this junk being installed? Will it have any effect on the pearl at all since that stuff is installed to the device memory instead of the SD card memory?

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by javijavi View Post
    Ok, so I read the thread on how to free up as much system memory on the pearl as possible by preconfiguring an OS update without all the language files and video/music/ringtone samples. And now I have a nice shiny pearl with about 40 megs of free memory. But does this have any impact on performance? Or is this whole procedure just meant to give you some extra memory to store data for yourself? Basically, does the pearl use it's own device memory as operating RAM? Having less memory could = less performance? Or is it more like a pc, you have your ram and then you have your storage space, and for the most part the two are mutually exclusive of each other.

For example, assuming page files didnt exist and the computer ran entirely out of RAM, if you had a pc with 1 gig of free harddrive space vs 1 meg, the system would perform no different. But a blackberry doesnt exactly have harddrive space. It just has one big hunk of flash memory built in. Files are stored within the system's RAM so to speak, and thus you want to have as much free as possible correct?

Finally, if your BB has a nice 1-2gb memory stick, are you concerned at all with language files and napster and google maps and all this junk being installed? Will it have any effect on the pearl at all since that stuff is installed to the device memory instead of the SD card memory?
    You have a good grasp of the way devices work, the Pearl needs to have a memory card for stroge, the freeing up of memory on the device will help with proformance, the BB handles memory much better then windows, but over time the available does get lowere and lower, once a week i pull the battery to free it back up. works great, Like you I have pulled all that stuff out of my pearl, curve, and 8800.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")