Ok, I am thinking of buying a pearl off of ebay since I can find ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bigwayne3000 no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl on the VZW network

Advertisement

Ok, I am thinking of buying a pearl off of ebay since I can find ones fr a bit cheaper off there otherwise I'd have to pay the full $400+ retail since my 2 yrs isnt up for awhile. My question is, I have heard from countless people that I do NOT need to have a data plan when getting this phone. I will still be able to use it for the phone and texting capabilities but obviously wont be able to get onto the internet etc which is fine since I wouldn't use that anyway. Can someone 100% confirm this though? I've come to understand from people on a # of forums that the only reason you "have" to have a data plan isbecause of some contract between RIM and VZW where VZW pushes a data plan onto you to make more money to pay RIM for the fees etc they have thru the contract when in actuality, the data plan isn't necessary. Any help is appreciaed.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Verizon told me I had to and I bought my phone on eBay too. I wanted the data plan though. I spoke with a sales rep at ATT and they don't require you to have it though. It may just be a Verizon thing.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

So what did you wind up doing? I assume you got a data plan since you said you wanted one. When you bought yours off ebay and took it in to get activated, did they tell you they wouldn't activate it til you bought the data plan? I know for a fact you don't need a plan, its jusr VZW pushing expensive plans onto the customer a usual. Why/how could ATT not require a plan but yet VZW does and says its mandatory from RIM!? Sounds far fetched to me.

djdeerock no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    I am 100% certain that you CANNOT use this phone, (or any Verizon BB) without data. I've been a Verizon customer for about 5 years and my family has been customers even longer. I've been interested in VZW's data plans for the past 2 years, and have done a lot of research on all of them. I just got my BB about 4-5 months ago, and I thoroughly looked into every option. Many other carriers allow you to use the Pearl or any BB as just a regular phone, but ANY VERIZON BB must be linked to either a BIS or BES data plan, (separate from text messaging).

I don't know for sure what the reason is for this, but I'd say its a very good assumption that Verizon has some sort of contract with RIM. Either way, there isn't any way around this, unless you switch to another carrier that doesn't require a data plan. (I'm not sure which do and don't but you can easily find that here on the stacks)

Its really annoying when people from other providers post generalizations, thinking their carrier's policies apply to everyone. Sorry for any confusion those people may have caused you. If you need any other info. about Verizon data packages, ask a Verizon customer. lol Most of us are on top of it because Verizon has a tendency to screw people over. I'm sure we'd all be willing to help you out!

PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Bigwayne I did know before I bought the phone that I had to get the data plan so this was not an issue for me.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

well I heard this from people with VZW not other providers. They say that eac VZW person hey talk to, tey get different answers. Some say they don't require i while others say they do. I'm not sure whatt o believe though. Personally I think VZW is just trying to get more money out of people. As it makes no sense that on provider wouldn't require it while VZW does. If it wasnt for the fact VZW is really the only carrier that works decently where I live so I'm stuck...

PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Every Verizon rep I talked to said I had to have the data plan. But the other thing you can check to save money is to see if you can get discounts through your employer. I was able to get discounts on both my calling plan and data plan through my job which was the clincher for me in getting the phone.

djdeerock no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    I completely agree with cgaliffi. All Verizon reps say you need the data plan. I've never heard different. Anyone who says you don't need one, is grossly misinformed.

It is true. Verizon is trying to soak people for all their worth; especially in this area. It is also true that they should not be able to prevent you from using the Pearl as just a phone. However, the bottom line is that if you want their service, you play by their rules, and it sucks, but one of their rules is that data is necessary; there is no backdoor.

If you like the Pearl enough to switch providers, you can find it without the data. Otherwise, you can look into something like a MotoQ or maybe even the Treo. If I am correct, data is not required with those phones. However, you are missing out on a lot of stability and functionality that the Blackberry offers. [ I'm a little biased :-) ]

I personally think, that for $29.99 a month (BIS), I get my money's worth, both in productivity and enjoyment.

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3
    Have to have data you don,t have a choice. I am 100% certain on this!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hyperburn no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31A0E150
    I work for Verizon wireless. As of February, any Verizon customer that activates a blackberry must have the data plan attached to the account. Since this has happened, Verizon has lowered tbr prices for the data to accomodate better the customers wallets. Hope this clears it up.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

relotnek no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    318F735F
    The data plan is worth it on VZW anyway

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Plus, many 3rd party apps look for a data connection to register and update. I mean really....if your gonna own and use a BB to it's extent....a data plan is a must. It's worth it.
    Andy