Any thoughts on these maps? In the past few days i've tried walking around downtown ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

feelmaroon no está en línea Stack level 2

Pearl Native 'Street Maps' Opinions on it?

Advertisement

Any thoughts on these maps? In the past few days i've tried walking around downtown chicago and this evening downtown nyc (soho) using the scrollwheel and walking in different directions and the maps work perfectly and load quick enough as i walk to load the picture i need to see(even catches the small sidestreets). I tried google maps but the one built into the Pearl seems better for instant street to street details. (probably more suited for nyc, chi, boston, and san fran, etc) Having the scroll wheel is like having a mouse and rolling it N, W, S, E as you please and it showing you where you are/need to be. I was lost in the loop (chicago) and just pulled out my pearl and said "go to", typed in the street address i was at and it immediately came up and i followed it to where i needed to be. on my way, a few drunk girls were looking for a street ahead and i scrolled up on my phone and showed them they were going the wrong way. they were blown away that i was doing this on my phone. are the streets in whatever cities you're in all detailed properly and seemingly 'size scale proper'? downtown chicago and nyc (manhattan). check.
    Last edited by feelmaroon; 09-17-2006 at 03:38 AM.

zukutu no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Pearl Native 'Street Maps' Opinions on it?

hello feelmaroon,

I am not able to use my map at all.
    Do you mind explain step-by-step on how you use it at the first time?
    My map only show grid and a small bulls eye on every top-left corner of the grid.
    No picture of the map at all.
    Could you please help me...

Thanks =)

kwyjibo no está en línea Stack level 2

It got me lost going from Philly to Baltimore, but I was on a conference call and not paying great attention. Comparing directions to MapQuest, though, I think MapQuest gave slightly more "direct" directions. What I do like, though, is the line by line instructions along the map. I haven't tried Google Maps yet, but I have found them to be very unreliable directions.

as for line for line directions, you're right, i'd go with the mapquest/googlemaps/hopstop website. i was more referrring to just having a walking map for taking walking tours and its proving to be perfect. i just turned it on and took a walk through the upper eastside (NYC) and it catches everything.

to zukutu. haha. yeah, i had the same problem at first and thought "just another junk feature." then i got it working and i think its the number one feature on the phone for me sans email.

when you load it up, it just gives you that blank grid. click the menu button and click on "GO TO" and type in an address "ex: 500 east 12th street. NY." it'll then go straight to the street grid with that addy in the center and you are then able to 'bookmark' the address. from that point, you can just scroll wherever you want to go and it shows you the layout of all the streets as far as you want to walk.

what i did was place a handful of bookmarks in all the places i tend to be. downtown, midtown, uptown, west village, etc. you can also grid all your favorite stomping grounds around the us and have a map ready at one click whenever you need it. seriously, awesome feature on the BB pearl.

there is something to be said about knowing that i'll never ever be lost while walking again. queens, downtown LA, downtown kansas city. just a few clicks and i got street maps of all of it. and this seems to be a throw in feature. SWEET!

zukutu no está en línea Stack level 2

HUAHAHHA....
    I talked to RIM tech support regarding this issue, it turns out that I need a data plan in order to use the MAPS application.
    Dang it... why they didn't mention it at the first place... =(

splurge for the data plan and get it. well worth it. then you can load up wap bookmarks which'll make your web experience fast and usable.