Hi, new here - I'm planning on buying a Pearl thru amazon - my first ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Jose R no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Pearl - Mac - 2gb Card

Advertisement

Hi, new here -

I'm planning on buying a Pearl thru amazon - my first BB. I'm also going to add a microSD card. The BB will be for personal use. But:

From reading the archives and other sites, it seems that the 2gb cards only work with the updated firmware. Since I use OSX and Linux, it seems I'm SOL on being able to install the updated firmware as it requires a windows os...

So, what are my options? Stuck with the 1gb? Have any of you who are mac users, been able to install the firmware update?

Do I need to hunt down a friend who has a windows box and have them install DM so I could download the update and them update my BB? And if I do this will I screw up my BB by having it tethered to two different operating systems, if I first use PocketMac to administer the Pearl?

I haven't bothered to contact TM support to ask if they will provide an update for mac users...figure the response would be "not any time soon."

Would really love to dump a bunch of media w/o worrying about storage.

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3
    Jose,

Yes, I believe the only way to upgrade the 8100 OS will be through a friend w/ Windows Os...Or Parallels for your Mac (Longshot you're using an Intel Mac AND Linux...but just a afterthought). You will have no problem having your 8100 on a Windows based machine for an OS upgrade, and then switch back to Mac and Linux for your data. I think the only thing you NEED to do is make sure Desktop Manager is set to Backup and Restore all data on the 8100. I also highly recommend doing a manual backup on the Windows based box of your BB before starting ANYTHING, that way it is a max of 2 minutes to have your BB back to pre-OS upgrade, should anything go wrong (it shouldn't, of course). I always, especially since PocketMac 4, like to do a backup of my address book and contacts before I ever sync after doing an OS upgrade...one cannot trust that PocketMac gets an upgrade every time BB issues one for a device...this will just serve to make sure you address book, calendar dont get dup entries or any other database errors during transfer, good luck.

Jose R no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks for the quick response,

no intel yet here, just ppc (running unbuntu on my iBook and osx on imac). I'll probably just live with the 1gb for now. Had been planning on building a pc for a while now, but have been trying to avoid windows for home use...

thanks again.