I've been browsing around forums and google for about a day now trying to find ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jrogers23 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Pearl/Keyboard Surface Mount LED's

I've been browsing around forums and google for about a day now trying to find information about this but I haven't found an answer to what I'm looking for, maybe someone can help.

The 8100 pearl has a multi colored LED underneath it, allowing for the color to be changed. Well I and a number of my friends own 8130's and we're stuck with white. Being handy with a soldering iron we figure how tough could it be to replace that LED with a different colored one? But I can't seem to find anyone who has done this online with a note as to success or failure...and I also am unsure which LED would fit there. There are a variety of surface mount LED's that look similar...but without seeing them in person I couldn't be sure.

Ultimately I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this being accomplished before and can point me in the direction of a site...or if anyone knows where I can find a service manual with a parts breakdown for the 8130?

Thanks in advance for any help!

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Pearl/Keyboard Surface Mount LED's

I wouldn't recommend doing this. But if I were to do it I might start by looking up shop cnn and see if you can get a hold of the manufacturer LED set for the 8100. That would be your best bet as far as I can tell to get a hold of an LED that would fit. Be careful though the LED settings on the 8130 are light sensitive and you may loose this feature by doing this. I beleave they put a multi color LED in the 8100 to test to see if they could get rid of the service LED and have it all go through the trackball.

Yeah getting a hold of the oem LED set is a good idea, thanks I'll look into that...however I was thinking that putting a single color LED of the same style/model would be the best bet...and probably easiest to get functioning. And I'm not all too concerned about the problems that could arise, I have access to plenty of broken ones to try it on first =)

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

yeah.....if you just replace the stock (white LED) with a colored one, you may have a shot of getting it to work!!

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

or put a peace of clear tape over the led and color it with a sharpe!!!!

Hahah I played with the sharpee method because that's the only solution I've found so far, with the darkest red I can find the pearl/keypad comes out Pink...which isn't quite what I'm going for, but the girls like it. And I'm not sure how lasting that will be.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

mix black and red???

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

yup...that's what I would do, just start combining colors to make it the color you want....