I have a recently acquired Pearl. After setting up the email accounts, I have the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bbfly no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl incoming email indicator

Advertisement

I have a recently acquired Pearl. After setting up the email accounts, I have the Messages List, Email address #1, Email address #2, and the BB.net address. When I got the device, the little red asterisk that identifies new messages appeared over each message list on the home screen, if there were messages in the particular box. Now, the red asterisk only appears on the Messages inbox. This means when I am waiting for an email from Email address #2, I can't quickly look at that Inbox on the home screen. I have to go into Messages and rummage through other emails to find the one I am expecting.

I have sent new service books to the device which fixes it for a few minutes and then it reverts back to only putting the asterisk on Messages. The User Guide makes no mention of the red asterisk. The service provider had not encountered this before.

I have also checked the message indicator in Options and it is set to Unread and Indicator Yes.

What am I missing here?

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Re: Pearl incoming email indicator

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

There is only one "inbox", and that is the main Messages app. The other icons are merely shortcuts to pre-filtered views of the Message list.

Are you reading/opening the messages in the Message list?

The red asterix will only appear when you have new mail AND you have not accessed the Message app.

For example, you get 5 emails at the same time. You will have 5 unread/unopened messages in the Message list. There will be an asterix above the Messages icon, but only until you open the Message list and view the new emails. Not open and read the new emails, but just view them in the list.

So, let's pretend you just received 1 email on each account. You will then see an asterix above each mail icon. If you go into any of those mail icons and view the message, then the other icons will retain the asterix. But as soon as you enter the Messages list, the asterix will be removed.

Does this help?

Suggestions: hide all those other mail icons, then make shortcut filter hotkeys in the Messages list to quickly filter for each mail account, or unread messages in all accounts. The filter / search criteria are quite ambitious, and you'd be pressed to not come up with a filter that works for you. Do this from the Messages app, Menu Key --> Search --> Menu Key --> Recall; this is where you will find the default filters, you can also create new ones, or edit the defaults.

Another option: if you use audible alerts, you can set unique alerts for each email account. You would do this through Profiles --> Advanced.

Let me (us) know if you require further help.

That is my exact point. Based on your example of 1 email per account, I am only seeing one asterisk over the Messages box, plus the envelope indicator of number of unread messages.

I do not get an asterisk above each mail box as I was getting when I bought the device. If I was able to get the asterisk on all mailboxes, it would assist with priority items.

Do you know why I would not see the asterisk on each mailbox?

tsolly no está en línea Stack level 1

I think Lewis is spot-on with this one. Also, the newest messages will always be at the top of the list in the general inbox. I, too, get a little confused sometimes as I have 4 accounts on my BB but I've become accustomed to (and really like) not having to deal with four seperate mailboxes - nice to have them all in one place (imho). Good luck.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F

Im not sure if you have done this or see this, but when you click your menu, do you see all 4 email box icons, when they are highlighted they will say the email address. I hardly ever click the MESSAGE icon. I always have my 2 emails on the soft link at the bottom of the screeen and they have the red icon on which ever mail box something comes in on. Is this what you do too?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

bbfly, Welcome to PinStack.

Can't help you here, but let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Madza driver, you are also making my point. Yes, I have the mailboxes all appearing but the red icon only appears over the Messages box and not the other boxes even though the other boxes have mail in them.

I am looking to understand why I don't have the functionality that you have as that is what I am after.

senna174 no está en línea Stack level 2

I had the same problem today, only after I started forwarding everything to the bb.net email address.

I had my gmail forwarded to the bb.net inbox and setup another gmail inbox on the bb and this is what I found out - I would get a red mark over my gmail inbox and a red mark over my message inbox which was clear to me that the bb.net email address is tied to the message inbox, and the bb.net inbox showing on your home screen is only a filtered inbox to show your bb.net emails ONLY.

This may sound a bit confusing but hey, English isn't my first language. My solution to this was to hide the bb.net inbox and I am good. Thanks.

ejmccartin no está en línea Stack level 2

the interesting thing is I have the opposite problem. when I get a sms or mms I don't get an indication in my general message box. there will be a message count icon but nothing in the message folder. I thought they were all connected. maybe its just emails? I don't get it. I don't do much texting so I had hidden that icon. I've since made it visible but it just doens't seem right.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Let me ask a question about the Pearl. In the messages Options, General Settings, is there a setting for "Show Indicator Count" or something similar? If so, what are the options, and what does changing them do?

Just Curious
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

RC:

The options are:

"Display message count - unread/none"

"Display new message indicator: yes/no"

The first provides the envelope icon and a number in the banner. The second provides a red * (asterix) on the Messages app icon.

A message is no longer "new" once it's been viewed in the Messages app list. Not that it's been opened and read, but merely that it's been viewed.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Thanks Lewis, I was wondering if there was a setting that might be causing some of the questions I've been reading about. Looks like this might have an effect on them.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer