Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please do and good luck. I'm very interested to see if this works.... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Pearl in Coca-Cola - That's Bad, Right??

Advertisement

Please do and good luck. I'm very interested to see if this works.

realcomix no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~it should be fine ... I have saved many a phone this way ..

cobra2525200 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E636EB

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If I dropped my pearl anywher, especially in any type of liquid, I would probably drive into oncoming traffic to rid me of the misery.

blkmz3 no está en línea Stack level 3

I bet if they had dropped it in a glass of pepsi, you'd be alright!

Blondiexpl no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e9e043

Quote Originally Posted by cobra2525200
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If I dropped my pearl anywher, especially in any type of liquid, I would probably drive into oncoming traffic to rid me of the misery.
    hahah have to admire the love ! lol but the distilled water def an intresting idea, i really really hope i dont need this advice in the future. I never dropped anything in any liquid, how can that happen to someone anyway. I already know part of the story either alcohol or lil kids are involved. good luck though with the cell, i mean u see soo many ppl buying broken cell phones and ipods, they need to be using them for something. have to love the ppl with that skill!

cclaw125 no está en línea Stack level 3

you guys are too much...

hpmcdonald no está en línea Stack level 2

Our Story so far....

I just called the CPR (Cell Phone Repair) shop. He took apart the device and let it dry, put it back together and it won't start up. He's not disuaded by this development.

It seems that cola has an acid in it that can quickly corrode soft metals like lead solder (sp?). So, the next step is to give it an alchohol bath, followed by re-soldering key spots of the circuit board or "flowing"the entire circuit board (which I can only assume is dipping the bottom of the circuit board in a tray of liquid solder)

I've been told that I shouldn't expect anything more that about $65 dollars for the repair. That'll be cool if I have a functioning device at the end of the week.

Apparently, there's still hope that I'll have my spare Pearl after all. Either that, or my 3 1/2 year old will have his very own Pearl, just like Dad's.

blkmz3 no está en línea Stack level 3

keep us posted.. hope all turns out good!

Wet Pearl Update:

It's been at the shop for two days now. I called today to see what progress has be made. It's not looking great, but they're not giving up.

The technician knows that it's not top priority for me, so he's working on it between emergency cases. So far, he hasn't been able to get the screen to display, but the led shows that it's taking a charge.

I guess that's like a comatose patient squeezing your hand, but not opening his eyes....

squ34k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EAD2EE

It's hard to believe that two fluids will cancel out another fluid... But nonetheless, water damage has been taken. I'd have to agree with cobra, if I dropped my Pearl at all, in liquid or not, I probably would drive myself into oncoming traffic. D:
    Will you be my friend?
    AIM: killaninjamnky
    Y!: isitupsidedown
    MSN: squ34k@gmail.com
    PIN - 23EAD2EE

UPDATE:

Well, it turns out there's nothing more that can be done to save this Pearl. I'm gonna pick it up and at least have a charger for my extra batteries.

But everything I did was the right thing to do, I've been told.

Remember, I was given this phone by someone who had dropped it into a Coca-Cola. She probably left the battery in it and tried to turn it on. I have no idea how much time passed between the event and when I started triage on it.

If she had taken the battery out right away and if she had given it to me directly, there would have been a much better chance for this BB Pearl.

So, if you ever (God forbid) drop your phone into liquid (Coke, Beer, Salt Water, or even Tap Water), TAKE THE BATTERY OUT and DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON. After that, try to rinse it out with distilled water, as counter-intuitive as it may seem. From there try to get it to a repair shop (if one exists in your town), or ship it out to one (do a google search for "cell phone repair").

There's even an article on wikihow.com regarding saving a wet cell phone that echoes the same thing.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Cercopes no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D8D11

Thanks for the update!
    Sorry to hear it could not be saved, but hey at least your kid will have his very own pearl to play with.

confidant no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23EAAD8E

Roommate once left his phone in his pocket, threw it in my washer and dryer. Heard some clunking noises, took the phone out, blew it with a hair dryer and let it sit for a day or two and it still worked.

Same with my Logitech keyboard. Spilled pop all over it and went haywire and screwy. Risened it out with water thinking really can't do any more damage to it, let it to dry in the sun for 2 days and it worked again perfectly, just a little sticky =). So this doesn't sound all too outlandish.

asotelo no está en línea Stack level 1

Actually, I had a similar experience recently. My Pearl was on the kitchen counter during my four-year-old's birthday party last week. Some paper cups leaked water and my phone got soaked. Thankfully it was off.

My cousin who's an engineer and I saw it at the same time. I pulled off the back and water just dripped out of everywhere. He told me it was not a loss yet. I pulled out the battery, SIM card, SD card and he got of all things a portable vaccuum with a nozzle and held it over the open back of the BB until drops of water stopped coming up (a good 3 to 5 minutes). He explained what another poster said: it was not the water as much as what's in it - minerals in tap water, sugars and acid in soda. So it was essential to get out the water before it dried and left mineral tracks that would short the board.
    I left it open overnight and in the morning reassembled everything, said a quick prayer and bingo - no problems.

In light of this the distilled water issue makes a lot of sense if your BB gets totally immersed in soda or tap water. No guarantees but it beats a lost unit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12