Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just so no one is too worried, my Pearl is absolutely fine. I happenned to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hpmcdonald no está en línea Stack level 2

Pearl in Coca-Cola - That's Bad, Right??

Advertisement

Just so no one is too worried, my Pearl is absolutely fine. I happenned to have come across a Pearl (for free) that had been dropped into a glass of Coke. I'm going to try to have it repaired, but tomorrow (1/10/07) is the earliest I can get it anywhere and it'll probably be Friday (1/12/07) until I can realistically do it.

I contacted the only cell phone repair shop that I know of (in Atlanta) and they said, counter-intuitively, I should put it into a zip-lock bag filled with distilled water, like a goldfish. Then, after an hour or so, put it into another bag with fresh distilled water only halfway up the phone, shaking it every couple of hours. The battery is nowhere near the phone.

I'm told that there's a good chance this Pearl can be saved if I do these things. It seems so strange putting a cell phone into a bag of water. Of course, if it's now even more ruined than it already was, I'm no better or worse than I was before. I'm hoping to have a spare Pearl for the cost of the repair.

So, what do y'all (I'm in the South) think? Any hope here?
    Last edited by hpmcdonald; 01-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: Pearl in Coca-Cola - That's Bad, Right??

Quote Originally Posted by hpmcdonald
    Just so no one is too worried, my Pearl is absolutely fine. I happenned to have come across a Pearl (for free) that had been dropped into a glass of Coke. I' going to try to have it repaired, but tomorrow (1/10/07) is the earliest I can get it anywhere and it'll probably be Friday (1/12/07) until I can realistically do it.

I contacted the only cell phone repair shop that I know of (in Atlanta) and they said, counter-intuitively, I should put it into a zip-lock bag filled with distilled water, like a goldfish. Then, after an hour or so, put it into another bg wit fresh distilled water only halfway up the phone, shaking it every couple of hours.

I'm told that there's a good chance this Pearl can be saved if I do these things. It seems so strange putting a cell phone into a bag of water. Of course, if it's now even more ruined than it already was, I'm no better or worse than I was before. I'm hoping to have a spare Pearl for the cost of the repair.

So, what do y'all (I'm in the South) think? Any hope here?

wow I have no idea but I would imagine putting it in water would only damage it more, but im not an expert. Just see what happens after they do cpr on your bb maybe it will work

Well, does anyone have any idea if I'm on the right track, or should I just throw it out now?

PIN/ID

Well, does anyone have any idea if I'm on the right track, or should I just throw it out now?
    Im not sure and someone will come here shortly with a beter response. Its better than throwing it away in haste and then finding out it could have been fixed

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I can not see how submerging your BB could possible do any good. There are entire threads here talking about people having problems with just spilling a little water on their BB's.

PIN/ID

ok maybe I was wrong

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I can't say definitively, just my 2cents.

gbillings no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301603FD

I once repaired an HP Photosmart camera after it had been dropped into a pitcher of beer. Can you say sticky?

If the device was off (not likely) when it took it's first swim than you have a mediocre to fair chance with the distilled water approach. You will need to let it dry out after a few days.

Given that BB's are always on, I can't see how one of the chips didn't short out.

I think your best bet is to disassemble it, have some q-tips, compressed air and rubbing alchol handy (70% is my preference), and see how far you can get without the thing turning into dust. The trick will be to see how much liquid got on the inside.

I have a peal and have resisted the temptation to do a tear down. Maybe once the 8800 comes out I will be more adventurous. I find the pearl to be poorly constructed (compared to say the 7290 which is a tank) and you are going to be lucky to salvage the casing, keyboard and screen for parts.

Does the unit power up? If not, it's a very cute Christmass Tree ornament.

On a side note - If it doesn't power up I'll buy it off you so I can do a tear down - I am very curious how the trackball is put together, if it's a sealed unit or what (looks for his torx set........)

*hears a loud voice* put the screwdriver down and step away from the blackberry!

Albeevr6 no está en línea Stack level 1

Well i would believe the purpose is to get the sticky coke out and off of the parts of the phone.

Also the use of distilled water i would think is because distilled water is free of minerals that could cause deposits on electrical components. Realistically if the phone is shot the damage is already done. So doing the water thing I would say is an option. I mean if I was to do this I would follow what you were told and afterwards leave it to dry without putting the battery in for like 2 days.

I know its different but I had a refrigerator in the garage and the whole motor was submerged underwater during a flood ( unplugged of course) and after the flood I gave it a few days to dry out and it worked fine. Although they are two very different things I am hoping for your sake the same principal applies.

sorry if I wasted anyones time reading just hope that everyones advice can help a little and you luck out in the end.

silverxj no está en línea Stack level 2

At this point you might as well give it a shot.
    You cant really hurt it anymore than it is.
    I had a nokia that I accidentally dropped into water as it was ringing, it continued ringing even under water, as soon as i pulled it out i pulled the battery and let it dry for 2 days and then gave it a shot.
    It still works to this day. maybe you will be as lucky.
    Anyway, good luck.

~John

The phone would not power up when I got it. I am sure that there's a fried circuit or two in there. I understand that the cell phone repair shop will have some ability to repair or replace some circuit boards. I am keeping a $100 limit in mind. That's a fair price for a SPARE Pearl, I think. More than that, I may as well buy a new one.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Ummm, if u do throw it out, let me know where exactly

seedyburner no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2438f59d

The problem is when someone drops their phone in water or soda or beer or bodily fluids, their first instinct is to turn the phone back on. That is actually when the cuircut frys. Not the initial contact. If instead you immediately take the battery out and try the distilled water approach (if it was something other than water that you dropped it into), then your chances are very good that you can save the phone with absolutely no problems. I like to let the phone air for about a week after submerging it. I know a week is a long time. I have saved about 6 different friends phones... as for me... I love my phone too much to submerge it in anything in the first place. You wouldn't drop your baby in the toilet would you?

baconismidog no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The shop is right. The reason that water ruins electronics is that it shorts the board. As long as you don't have current (no battery) you can submerge a board. At that point it is just metal and silicon. The distilled water is just to get the highly corrosive coke off the board.
    You should be fine as long as the lcd was not compromised and the thing did not short when it hit the coke.

B.

Well I've dropped it off at the shop.

The guy there assured me that the "goldfish" treatment was OK. When I told the repair guy that it was probably on (of course with the battery in place) at the time when it went into the drink, he didn't seem concerned at all. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast