Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would say it's less likely a "virus" and more of just a defective OS ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Proxima no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Pearl has a mind of its own!

Advertisement

I would say it's less likely a "virus" and more of just a defective OS or hardware.

There's only been a couple smart phone virus's written so far, and they weren't destructive, just testing the capabilities so to speak. The one that was intriguing was a bluetooth spread package that would actively seek out other phones with their radios turned on, and try to send itself. But even these were written for Pocket PC, not blackberry OS.

But something so sophisticated as to randomly make calls, change volume settings, and send your text messages all by itself? I'm much more skeptical.

A defective or shorted keyboard could do all of the above though.

dave1721 no está en línea Stack level 1

A keyboard short was what my first impression was as it is usually always 1 key that will continually press itself. my first phone was always pressing the 8 key. this new one always presses whatever key mutes a call during talking and has recently switched to the enter key. I have basically ruled out a keyboard short however upon recieving my second pearl from a completely different vendor and the same problem is happening. I am currently dl'ing all the software again on another computer of mine which has had no contact with the first to see if possibly it could be a virus.

Just curious if anyone has brought this issue up to RIM and what their solution for it was?

rwakemanster no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F791EB

I never got in contact with RIM but that would probably be a good place to go from here. I had my fingers crossed that the stackers had experienced this already.

yeah i guess that is the next step. i just tried wiping my bb and reinstalling everything on my other computer. this computer had absolutely no contact with the first one at all and both the phones still loaded with the same problem. Driving me insane!!!!!

is it possible that loading an older operating system on the phone would be able to solve this problem?!?!

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yeah you could try loading an older version of the OS or a battery pull.....

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard! BUT, if you can reproduce the problem, you can solve it if you take the time. It'll take time and a steady procedure AND maybe some help but the most difficult problems to fix are the kind that you CAN'T reproduce. I realize that you've described a process that you've gone through (reloading this and that, battery pull, etc, etc.) and it works for a short while (which suggests intermittent) but, since it ALWAYS comes back, you have a chance get clues and figure it out.

Once you've exhausted all the possibilities that other folks know about and if you haven't come up with an answer, I suggest getting yourself a pencil, pad and some time to document what happens and why. The pearl is a great handset, all the BB's are. Sometimes these kind of problems take that kind of patience to figure out Even if it's a hard failure (not likely 3 times in a row) you'll come to that conclusion if it's right. I hope you take this as a constructive suggestion. I've solved mind-numbing software problems in the past.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ aww blackfish.your such a good helper!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

I really don't mean to preach - I hope it doesn't sound like that but these things can be solved. I wish I had that little "haunted" thing in front of me today. It's icy here and we're stranded - it's great - I don't have to go anywhere and couldn't if I did...so I'm roaming the stacks, taking care of fun stuff and ignorign the rest.

(what's ignorign?)

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I am also on my 3rd T-Mo 8100 since January 21, 2007. First one kept throwing Uncaught Exception errors when typing links in BB Messenger (OS upgrade temporarily solved this problem). It ended up shutting itself down 3 months after I got it. Enter another 2 or 3 OS upgrades until I got sick and tired of upgrading OS's.

Second one didn't like the portable charger I bought for it and after another 4 months started going into reset loops (connecting the USB cord to the PC temporarily fixed this until I got IRATE and killed it using that same charger that caused the problem LMAO) and got caught up in that huge BIS outage last year.

Got my 3rd Pearl in August 2007 and only used it 9 days. Switched to another phone and then temporarily couldn't figure out why I couldn't get anymore email until I swapped my SIM card to my other phone.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 01-27-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W

Ok rwakemanster. here is my advice...please correct me if you've already done this...

Step 1: do a back-up
    Step 2: wipe your phone.
    Step 3: unintall your desktop manager. *note:be sure you back up file is saved in mydocuments or a similar folder*
    Step 4: go to tmobile.com/bbupgrade
    Step 5: click on the type of phone you have; click on the latest desktop manager (4.3) and download.(follow given instructions)
    Step 6: return to tmobile.com/bbupgrade then click on latest OS (4.2.1.107, I believe), download, follow given instructions.

After doing all that,restore your information. That should do it.

Be very patient. I did this when I experienced the same problem you are, it took almost an hour.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Angel

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Or he could go to http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...f_09jan08.html

in the middle of Post 1, and posted again on Page 6 Post #153, and get the Rogers Wireless OS for the Pearl. I have it on my Pearl.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 01-27-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W

Yes, they could both go there! Thank you Erica.

*giving u trust points for that *

yeah thanks for the info...... only problem is i have tried this 4 times now and it doesnt seem to make any difference. im completly lost on this issue. 2 BB pearls which are now basically useless. problem is that with both of my phones it does not even last any amount of time in working order and continues to have random keys pressed from the moment i load the OS back onto the phone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast