Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I love the pearl, I have had it for about six months and I love ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rwakemanster no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F791EB

Question Pearl has a mind of its own!

Advertisement

I love the pearl, I have had it for about six months and I love everything about it, but I have not had one Blackberry in the past months, I have had three! After a while (a couple months or so) it will literally start performing on its own! It will call people out of my contacts at any time of day, when I try to call someone it shuts off its antenna or it will mute my microphone! I can't text because it will randomly send the message before I am done with it; sometimes I have to send up to ten messages for a single sentence. The phone recently "learned" how to unlock its own keys and it will just start sending people messages of random words out of my wordlist. Every single blackberry I've had in since May 2007(that was my first blackberry, I've had 3 since) has done this to me. I love the phone while it lasts but when it starts trying to take over the world then I'm out and looking for a new one which isn't hard since the warranties on these things are very good, but still who wants to get a new blackberry every 6-8 weeks? Anybody seen this before or have a fix? My current BB is starting to show signs.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Pearl has a mind of its own!

Wow......that's crazy!!

Uh, I don't even know....?????? scratching my head

PIN/ID
    23F791EB

Yeah it happened on my first Pearl, my Curve and now its happening to a co workers Pearl......Im lost.

jd885 no está en línea Stack level 3

this might sound crazy but if you sync ur BB with a computer that has viruses or currupted files maybe its transferring to ur BB

arysseus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242F676A

Quote Originally Posted by jd885 View Post
    this might sound crazy but if you sync ur BB with a computer that has viruses or currupted files maybe its transferring to ur BB
    That's what I'm thinking.

That, or BB's are starting to get too advanced for their own good... they're developing.... a conscious....

I watch too much sci-fi sometimes.
    Last edited by arysseus; 01-23-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: bad spelling

PIN/ID
    23F791EB

I thought about a virus but first of all its happening to 2 BBs that are synced with 2 seperate computers so that seems unlikely. According to Tmobs BBs are not capable of getting viruses....i dont know how reliable that info is though.

arysseus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242F676A

anything electronic can get a virus basically, just basically external data being downloaded and integrated with your internal data. Of course you need to be more advanced to input viruses into certain types of technology... for example me injecting a "virus" into my old nintendo system so that it plays my Mario games weird, but the point is though it may be hard, its still possible.

In my opinion, BB's would be on the high risk of being targeted by viruses.

-Many people use their BB with internet, i.e. wireless, which if someone really wanted to and has some extra time can crack into that. For instance I can drive and park outside of your house with my laptop, and if I detect a wireless network, after several key jangles i'd be in. Free to either mooch off your wireless internet, or if intentions are worse, intercept some of the data you might be sending or even connect to your PC.

-Files. Have you downloaded any files from third-party sites? Even images can have viruses attached to them. It's such a simple method that my friends I can send each other entire electronic books or messages, simply by embedding the ".rar" them into a .jpg picture. To everyone else, I just posted up a stupid random picture, to friends, they can open it up and receive any messages I wanted to send them.

Anyway, point of this is even though I have T-mobile and love the features and the coverage, they tend to make up things.. basically they think every customer is technologically retarded and won't realize what b.s. they are feeding you. basically like a shady car repair man.

/end rant about t-mobile.

It still might be possible to get a virus from two separate computers, especially if you access the same things on both. Maybe one day you plugged up one BB to computer #2, and bam now that one is infected too. Or it might be as simple as accessing your mail account on both computers, and some type of virus consequently gets injected into both.

enough of explaing how you can get a virus, what you need more is how to get rid of the problem lol.

Virus scan your computers to see if anything pops up. Also if computer saavy, open up your task manager and see if any unknown processes are running in the background.

Check any applications you've downloaded on your BB's. Did you download them from a reliable source (e.g. pinstack), or from another website? Sometimes that nice application you've just downloaded can come with an extra hidden surprise.

If your phone is still in warranty, call T-mobile, but don't tell them you think you might have got a virus from your computer. Advise them that your phone is malfunctioning, and tell them you want a replacement phone due to it being a constant issue. Unknown if the problem will happen again in the future, but at least you'll have a shinier and newer phone . Afterwards again, just watch what you download. Like you said you don't want to be doing this every 6-8 weeks, but you'll have more documentation on the tmobile side, and each time you can get more aggressive. When I used to have problems the kept reoccuring on my old non-BB phones, I threatened to break my contract due to them not fulfilling their end of the contract by providing good service, and magically my problem got fixed, with also a few months discount to boot.
    Last edited by arysseus; 01-23-2008 at 04:17 PM.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well try an exorcism with the goog old BattPull and if that doesn't work U suggest to reinstall the OS.

HTH
    Peter

PIN/ID
    23F791EB

I tried using Jlcmd to wipe the device. That made a little symbol with the number 507 pop up i believe. Then i reloaded the OS and everything worked for about 2 hours then she went right back to her old tricks. That one really confused me. That was without downloading any 3rd party apps.

vinod_patil no está en línea Stack level 2

Possible??? well there are already such viruses and people started maintaining Virus DB like computors for smart phone also
    With new technology & hacker nothing is inpossible
    There is virus on Symbian OS used by Nokia phones
    which try to send MMS to everybody in ur contact & also replicate itself its called "SymbOS/Beselo.A!worm"
    Try googling on "SymbOS/Beselo.A!worm"

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Take it out of your pocket lol

jd885 no está en línea Stack level 3

^ you know that is what i thought to... my cousin leaves his unlocked in his pocket all the time and stuff like that happens all the time.

PIN/ID
    23F791EB

i wish it were that easy. this actually happens while you are on a call too. it randomly will mute the mic then unmute.

dave1721 no está en línea Stack level 1

yeah i am new to this forum, but am having the exact same problem with 2 of my bb recently purchased. i am currently in the process of returning one and cant return the other b/c the return date is up. any help would be appreciated.

dday930 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    240E7BED

had the same issues with the older OS. I went to 4.2.1.107 and that issue hasnt been seen since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast