I've had a look at the BB website, and the spec for the handset and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Swiss Admiral no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Pearl - Does it have 'in-flight' mode?

Advertisement

I've had a look at the BB website, and the spec for the handset and can't see whether it has the 'in-flight' feature, i.e. ability to switch to a safe mode whilst flying (which I do a lot of), or do you have to switch the unit off completely when on planes?

Thanks in advance.
    "So tell me, what gave away the fact that I'm a Luddite?"

"Oh not much...but your undying profession of faith in quills and ink may have clinched it..."

tmrepp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Pearl - Does it have 'in-flight' mode?

i haven't noticed any option in any menu for such an option except for being able to 'switch wireless off'

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mdspriggs no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~as far as I can tell, not directly an inflight mode, but you do have the option to turn off wireless, which in effect turns off the radio on the BB. I used to have a nextel that had inflight mode, and from what I could tell that is all it did too. Maybe there is someone else that knows the technical aspect of what inflight mode actually does on some of the other phones.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yup on your homescreen you will see turn wireless off. That's what you need. Hope this helps

Thumbs up Re: Pearl - Does it have 'in-flight' mode?

Thanks guys for the speedy responses!!

Still kinda confused as my current HTC allows you to turn WiFi off (WiFi hear primarily providing access to the Web) AND then has a 'Flight Mode' which kills the Radio (3G & GPRS) signal to the phone.

In fact I have the WiFi feature switched-off permenantly as it crucifies the battery life (ditto Bluetooth).

Any other ideas/views?
    Last edited by Swiss Admiral; 09-12-2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Additional info

"Oh not much...but your undying profession of faith in quills and ink may have clinched it..."

DrSuha no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~what does in flight even mean? I figure clicking on turn wireless off is what you need since they don't allow you to access any kind of network on a plane. You can still access your media and all the other good stuff when you have the wireless feature off.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSuha
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~what does in flight even mean? I figure clicking on turn wireless off is what you need since they don't allow you to access any kind of network on a plane. You can still access your media and all the other good stuff when you have the wireless feature off.
    Thanks, but if you read my post immediately above yours, you'll see that my current HTC has TWO features: WiFi (On/Off) AND 'Flight Mode' - simply turning off the WiFi feature does not kill the phones ability to make/receive calls; indeed it doesn't even interfer with it - by design. The WiFi on my HTC is used to access the Web.

Like I say, I have the WiFi feature on my HTC swtiched-off permanently so as to save battery power and can still make/receive calls up until they ask that you switch off your phone on the plane - in which case it then kills its ability to send/receive calls by turning on the 'Flight Mode'.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before.

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0

Hy Swiss Admiral,
    The pearl doesn't have Wi-Fi, so using the "Turn Wireless Off" feature, kills all phone and data transmission/reception (provided bluetooth is also off). I've turned it off on airplanes before and still watched video and typed emails.
    Hope that helps!

Thumbs up Re: Pearl - Does it have 'in-flight' mode?

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy
    Hy Swiss Admiral,
    The pearl doesn't have Wi-Fi, so using the "Turn Wireless Off" feature, kills all phone and data transmission/reception (provided bluetooth is also off). I've turned it off on airplanes before and still watched video and typed emails.
    Hope that helps!
    Actually come to think about it, that pretty much does cover it! Cheers!

VeryBerry no está en línea Stack level 3

flight mode is the same as 'wireless off' on the bb and is necessary on flights...having ability have wifi on (with wireless off) is for planes with wifi access to still access web, emails etc. I guess wifi doesn't interfere like cell signals do. Also pearl doesn't have wifi so nothing to turn off (or on) for that.

jessmjones no está en línea Stack level 1

Related question ... if I have turned wireless off, but use bluetooth keyboard with my pearl, is that a problem in flight?

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3

it shouldnt be, since you're not using the signal ... you're using bluetooth connection
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Quote Originally Posted by nyydynasty
    it shouldnt be, since you're not using the signal ... you're using bluetooth connection
    bluetooth is still a radio, not as powerful as cellular, but a radio none the less. 30 foot radius radio won't affect aircraft systems to my knowledge. I should know since that is my job, aircraft mechanic/electrician/repair. FM signals won't interfere with UHF/VHF, SATCOM, or their FM transmitters. It is still possible for the FM radios to pick up a radio station, which is rare while in the air, but more possible on the ground. With the close proximity of other wiring to the antenna wiring and 6 inch seperation of signal and power wires, little ol bluetooth won't affect it at all. SO it is safe to use bluetooth while on a airplane with no ill effects.

my .02