Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yes, the Pearl looks cool, is thin and does alot but man is this thing ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

timboritus no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl construction very poor!! Replaced twice.

Advertisement

Yes, the Pearl looks cool, is thin and does alot but man is this thing fragile. It is soo easy to scrach (and dent) the phone it's almost unavoidable no matter how careful you are. I recently joine T-Mobile from Verizon Wireless because my contract was up, I wanted a very compact phone and I was attracted by the data packages that T-Mobile had. Since the phone was brand new I had it in a rubber skin from Seido (which is great) and had clear plastic screen protectors on the front and back to protect the surface. In no time, the battery door cover latch broke off. I called tmo about this and they had me send it back (pending an out of warrantee fee) and I got a replacement. The phone they sent me back had a light on one of the keys out so I had to send that one back too. WTF? The phone just seems to be made very cheaply. The buttons are very flimsy, phone will be destroyed if you drop it and the buttons wear out very quickly. When using the phone, it operates very similarly to a low -end pc, with a long delay to navigate menus, opening files, dial numbers.. i've had similar experience with Motorola phones. The blackberry pearl is a computer first and a Phone second. It basically is a computer with a "phone" application. This is unacceptable, seriously, the phone comes up with the hour glass when i place a call.. wtf? When using a phone, that should be instant. I still In terms of service, I don't know if its the provider or the phone (leaning mostly towards the provider) but it's horrible. I can barely receive any calls at my office (in NYC.. eehem, eledgedly the fewest dropped calls in NYC w/ t-mobile) and people don't receive my voicemails until sometimes 5 days later. When i am able to place a call, the call is broken up with static and almost always goes into a period of back and forth repeating "what??.. " "you there?,..." Horrible. Well, in short i am not happy with T-Mobile or the Blackberry Pearl. I miss verizon right now. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

VanillaEps no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Re: Pearl construction very poor!! Replaced twice.

Why not Cingular? They had the Pearl as well. Their coverage in NYC is flawless. Not sure why you went with T-Mobile.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Wow!! As far on my end my pearl hasn't had to many of the issues you brought up. The construction off the pearl has worked for me, but I can tell you off the bay its going to vary user to user. Its just because we all handle our devices differently. In terms of service I'm able to see where your coming from. Verizon hands down the best provider as far as coverage goes. As in regards of tmobile, tmob isn't known for reception, but more of less there prices, and rates. So with that jump from verizon to tmob, I can tell you the reception is not going to be what your accustomed to. (especially in NY) now in regards of the lag issue with the pearl, that's something that can be resolved! Usually its a sign of low memory within the phone, or 2 many programs being ran at once. Use your alt+back key, to close out some of these apps when your placing a call, taking pictures and etc. I hope this helps some

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Quote Originally Posted by mrcsbrooks
    Wow!! As far on my end my pearl hasn't had to many of the issues you brought up. The construction off the pearl has worked for me, but I can tell you off the bay its going to vary user to user. Its just because we all handle our devices differently. In terms of service I'm able to see where your coming from. Verizon hands down the best provider as far as coverage goes. As in regards of tmobile, tmob isn't known for reception, but more of less there prices, and rates. So with that jump from verizon to tmob, I can tell you the reception is not going to be what your accustomed to. (especially in NY) now in regards of the lag issue with the pearl, that's something that can be resolved! Usually its a sign of low memory within the phone, or 2 many programs being ran at once. Use your alt+back key, to close out some of these apps when your placing a call, taking pictures and etc. I hope this helps some
    The lag issue was frequent with the first OS( 4.2.0.42) but more recent OS's this has been fixed for the most part. As MRCS says, this will happen ALOT if you leave apps running and not close them properly ( like most all computers, if you have 5 apps running at once, there is lag. Not all, but many) The alt+back key solution almost always works for me. Key is to avoid closing apps by using the red end call button. Also, what theme are you using? Some are a tad slower than others. The tmo today plus theme works pretty fast for me.

On the hardware construction, I see your point. I had a battery door latch crap out on me too. Of course I've also had Nokia's, Moto and other hardware issues as well in the past.

With regards to coverage, TMO isn't the best, but they're not the worst. I've been with Nextel and Cingular and TMO is inbetween them as far as coverage. I heard from a buddy who shall remain nameless, that TMO is in the process of attempting to put up over 5000 towers over the next 24 months. One would surmise that these would be placed in heavily populated or growing areas. I bet NYC would be considered "heavily populated" but just a guess =)
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps
    Why not Cingular? They had the Pearl as well. Their coverage in NYC is flawless. Not sure why you went with T-Mobile.
    Because TMO is way better and cheaper lol

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I live in Texas and get great service with tmo.

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Yeah, I haven't had any of the problems you have had, but I am with Cingular. I personally think that Cingular is better than T-mobile. The rep at the Cingy store said that T-mobile is probably eventually going to become part of Cingy, as AT&T did. He said it will eventally (maybe) be Cingular and Verizon as the 2 phone companies. I have no idea if it is true, just repeating what he said. I also like Cingular becuase my parents have been with it since they had the thing you stuck in your car, we have been with Cingular forever, never have been with anyone else.

GP

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

I live in Texas too (Houston to be exact)!!! Perfect coverage from T-Mobile for both my pearl and my GF's!!!!!! We both have the OEM skins and the BSE full body kit!!!!! Treat them like our children!!!!!!!

mctommy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23e74540

Cingular and Tmo typically use the same towers (at least in the west), so coverage should be on average the same. Now that there has been a merger, I think they are moving away from that co-op.

AT&T didn't become part of Cingular. Rather, Cingular bought AT&T wireless back in 2004. Then Q4 of 2006, AT&T bought Cingular (which used to be Pac Bell wireless, which used to be part of the Bells)

And like others have said, it really depends on your use. My pearl is in impeccable condition, I have an OEM skin from bb and my battery cover doesn't slide at all.

Rockwell no está en línea Stack level 3

my pearl is the ishhh!

windowcleane no está en línea Stack level 1

my pearl is the shizzy

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by timboritus
    In no time, the battery door cover latch broke off. I called tmo about this and they had me send it back (pending an out of warrantee fee) and I got a replacement.
    The back latch of my pearl broke off too... Did you get a fee for returning it?
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

vyl10 no está en línea Stack level 1

My experience with the pearl has been total different from your's.my niece dropped my pearl once on our hardwood floor, not one noticeable scratch. Just this morning I was on the second to last steps and I dropped it and still no debts or scratches.

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

As far as T-Mobile goes, no real problems here. I live out in Suffolk County on Long Island 1 dropped call since october at the Cupsogue beach out in West Hamptons and everyone gets my voicemails same day :|

Sorry to hear about your bad luck though! Get an 8800 when they come out!

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

My phone never fell on a hardwood floor or anything else at work.

Ow wait, maybe its cause Im unemployed right now!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast