last night i was playing with outdoor shots, and my friends were amazed at all ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mm
    mm no está en línea Stack level 2

Pearl Camera Question

Advertisement

last night i was playing with outdoor shots, and my friends were amazed at all of the options on the pearl camera. only, i don't really know what settings might be best to use at the time. can anyone break it down for me in layman's terms? especially "white balance"? san francisco? you out there?

thanks, mm

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Re: Pearl Camera Question

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    GREAT question!
    This would be an excellent review for somone who has a clue. I for one haven't got one! I just use indoor and outdoor. But someone with orespecive and experience would be a big help.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

White balance (WB) is the process of removing unrealistic color casts, so that objects which appear white in person are rendered white in your photo. Proper camera white balance has to take into account the "color temperature" of a light source, which refers to the relative warmth or coolness of white light. Our eyes are very good at judging what is white under different light sources, however digital cameras often have great difficulty with auto white balance (AWB). An incorrect WB can create unsightly blue, orange, or even green color casts, which are unrealistic and particularly damaging to portraits. Performing WB in traditional film photography requires attaching a different cast-removing filter for each lighting condition, whereas with digital this is no longer required. Understanding digital white balance can help you avoid color casts created by your camera's AWB, thereby improving your photos under a wider range of lighting conditions.

mm

thanks N8, great explanation on what wb is. so, basically would i change the setting until whatever is "white" in the frame appears white? and what if there is nothing "white" to go by? for example, i was taking a night shot, outdoor, of jack'o'lanterns. i tried to fool around with the flash and wb settings, but the very orange pumpkins always came up green. which prompted the post... (thanks for the props, todd...)

anyone up for creating some noob catch phrases for the different wb settings?

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by mm
    thanks N8, great explanation on what wb is. so, basically would i change the setting until whatever is "white" in the frame appears white? and what if there is nothing "white" to go by? for example, i was taking a night shot, outdoor, of jack'o'lanterns. i tried to fool around with the flash and wb settings, but the very orange pumpkins always came up green. which prompted the post... (thanks for the props, todd...)

anyone up for creating some noob catch phrases for the different wb settings?
    Night shots are the most difficult pics to take. Unless there is lots of light, you are not going to get good pictures. Same goes for indoors.

The cameras on these devices are what I call "emergency" or "secondary" features. They are great for capturing that shot where without a digital camera, one is not going to get a pic. But if I am attending an event where I know I will want to take pics, I take a dedicated digital camera.

Be aware that the 1.3 megapixel camera on the Pearl is not a sophisticated device. All things set to "high" or super fine, you still will only get pics good for a computer display, but not much else [usually the higher the megapixel cameras are only needed if one intends to print pics].

The Pearl is also guilty of taking slightly faded pics. You have to use an editor to adjust the saturation [meaning to make the colors richer, brighter or more intense].

You should take some pics outdoors and indoors [under bright lights] and post them here so we can see if there is a problem.

As to settings, make sure your display says "1x" on zoom, which means the zoom is off. It is easy to hit the trackball and make the zoom go to 2x-5x. The zoom on the Pearl is digital, which means all it is doing is magnifying the dots, so to speak, and NOT optically magnifying the scene. Just don't bother with the zoom, it is crap.

Also make sure your settings are on:

Flash: off
    White Balance: Automatic
    Pic Size - Large
    Pic Quality: superfine

Lastly, check you lens, make sure there are no obstructions and that the lens is clean.

Here are some sample pics I took today. I edited them for sharpness, saturation, grain, contrast, brightness, and size. But the basic pics were fine.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

When did you sneak into my guest house San Fran?? Lol

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    When did you sneak into my guest house San Fran?? Lol
    I hear the best thing is to drink some hot tea, get to bed early and the delusions will pass by the morning.

mm

knew i could count on you san francisco!

WHOAH. you took those with your PEARL?! amazing.

i'm setting my camera to your specs. wish i could turn that zoom off completely... so, you never use the flash?

umm, and as for the lens, it's definitely clean, as i have covered it with a screen protector in my panic to keep it free from scratches. guess i'm shooting myself in the foot. i'll take it off and get some pics for your diagnosis...