Cingular allows SMS to email. It does this by "reflecting" your SMS to a target ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

oxbobc no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl Bug: SMS to Email (Cingular) NOT!

Advertisement

Cingular allows SMS to email. It does this by "reflecting" your SMS to a target email address. This requires that the SMS target an email address as the recipient instead of a phone #. My BB 7130e[v4.1.0.318; 2.2.0.127] (from work) allows the SMS to target a phone # or email.

The pearl however [8100;V4.2.0.71; 2.2.0.41] only accepts a phone #, and the field does not accept a @ symbol. I can not find any discussion of this except that it was a bug resolved in some much older phones [ 4.1... ].

Can anyone shed light on this - give me hope?

Thanks.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Re: Pearl Bug: SMS to Email (Cingular) NOT!

Yeeee, not really following u dude. Lets see what other have to say

Welcome to Pinstack

robertmrome no está en línea Stack level 3

I know what your getting at... and this might not be the answer... if I understand the final result you are trying to achieve then this could be a good work-around for you.

Cingular does allow you to do the exact reverse of what you are looking for... You can send an email from your computer to any cingular phone as an SMS. On the blackberry you can then reply to that email with an SMS.

To send an email to and cingular phone's SMS just send the email to '10-digitnumber'@cingularme.com (ie. 2015551212@cingularme.com) it used to be "number'@mobile.mycingular.com which still works when recieving SMS messages, but if the recipient tries to reply it will not go back to the email address like the @cingularme.com address will!

Thus if you are able to send an email to your handset as an SMS you can always reply to it... thus the work-around.

Hope this helps!!

RR

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Oxbobc. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

he was verbose, but I get it..

he wants to send to an email address via text msg on the pearl and he's unable to type the email address INTO the txt message because it is in number lock. since he can't type in anything besides numbers he wants to know if there is a workaround to this.

Ok, I just sent an email to mynumber@tmomail.net (the sms gateway for tmobile phones) and I received the message and at the top says "501". I guess t-mobile's (and probably cingular's) resolve to this is to assign a permanent 'reply' to number. It seems to run a similar system as Upoc.

have the person msg you first at your sms gateway (yournumber@cingularme.com) so they system can record and give them a 3 digit number that way you can reply back or send a brand new message to them from that point on.

again, i'm basing this on t-mobile. I'm guessing another US GSM network carrier would run a similar system.

-edit-
    informed by robert that in order to get the 3 digit gateway number, they would have to send to you at number@mobile.mycingular.com.
    Last edited by blackninja; 03-15-2007 at 12:48 PM.

robertmrome no está en línea Stack level 3

have the person msg you first at your sms gateway (yournumber@cingularme.com) so they system can record and give them a 3 digit number that way you can reply back or send a brand new message to them from that point on.
    For Cingular... there are the two options I guess I didn't explain well above. If the person sends you a message to number@mobile.mycingular.com you will recieve one of these 3-digit gateway access codes... I am not sure how long it is set to stay in their system... For that reason I have the emails sent to number@cingularme.com as it provides an individual address you can reply to SMS's with.

I guess the problem your having is that you are unable to send this from your address book... I have not tried to do this. You can however always reply to the initial message.

Hope this helps!

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

hehe, it wasn't for me robert. I understand your explination, but thought to test on my phone to try and give him an alternative method instead of having to save an unknown amount of messages (then having to dig through saved messages for that particular person so he can then press 'reply').

the assigned 3 digit number usually stays put for 30 days from the date of last activity. as long as he would send atleast 1 msg to his contact a month, it could prove a very useful shortcut. he could then put in the contact's address marker "workphone: 501" and then when asked who to text, he could use said contact and click the "501" and it would send sms-to-email.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

for cingular phones when you compose the SMS and wish to send to email put the number as 36245 (it should match with the word email spelled on the keypad). Then in the body message start off with the email address you are intending such as "blah@gmail.com" then space then the short message. I just tried it and works fine... see screenshot

It's a PITA but it works...other model phones and devices have that number programmed into the OS of it so it works behind the scenes. Not sure why pearl was not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cliffr39; 03-15-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

oxbobc no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: Pearl Bug: SMS to Email (Cingular) NOT!

Cliffr39 you ROCK!! It works like a champ. I'm so stoked! I'd given up after cingular tech support told me that RIM told them that I'd have to sign up for $30/mo service and download Communication Manager - this is beautiful! Email for $5/mo - that's me.

Thanks!

PS: There's no email subject or cc, but I can live with that.

laurie4563 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM me

hi
    just checking if any other solution has been found? it's great that it works, but it really takes a long time to write a sms, especially when the email address is loooooong!
    thanks in advance!
    Last edited by laurie4563; 01-10-2008 at 05:14 PM.