Hello all, I havent really posted here a whole lot if at all but I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49

Question Pearl Broken?

Advertisement

Hello all, I havent really posted here a whole lot if at all but I read here all the time

Anyhow I have the Pearl for T-Mobile, and it has been working beautifully until this morning. I dont know what happened to it overnight but whenever I press the Menu button it opens the menu but goes straight to the first option on the list without me selecting it. Its almost as if the button is stuck or something. The pearl is now somewhat in the same situation, I have to press the pearl pretty hard to actually get it to select anything. It seems as though it somehow its getting stuck....

If there is any solution to this problem or maybe an idea as to how to fix it that would be great cuz I really use my phone alot and this is affecting how I use it dramatically. I have tried to pull the battery a few times and that doesnt seem to fix it.

Thanks

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Pearl Broken?

when you say select, do you mean it highlights that option, or does it actually open that particular one?

do you carry your phone on a holster or do you drop it in your pocket?

it sounds like it might be collecting dust. i would say take the trackball assembly apart and clean it but if you not careful, you might brake something. so...
    grab a q-tip, dip it into some alcohol, and simply pass it over the pearl. it should clean it.
    also, try doing a battery pull
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

PIN/ID
    241EDB49

I have a holster and use it about 80% of the time. The rest of the time its either in my hand or just chillin on my desk.

Like what I mean with the Menu is when I hit it, lets say if I hit it in the Messages window, it will just go straight to the open option which is the first on the list and open the message without prompting me to do so.

I will try to take the assembly apart and clean it out I guess. Not really sure otherwise why this would happen. I do take good care of my phone so I doubt it broke due to neglect.

if you are going to take the assembly apart, BE CAREFUL!
    make sure that you put things how they were, and make sure not to bend the inner circle or any of the little clips.

[Former]

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

No matter how much you take care of your pearl it will collect dust I promise. Before you go all out and take it apart take a air can or some type of air and blow around the keypad and the trackball and see if you can free it up. If you need help with taking it apart just ask. Im sure you will figure it out since your in IT

PIN/ID
    241EDB49

Well to follow up, I took the trackball assembly out *although didnt disassemble it* and found a few small pieces of dirt/dust i dunno what it was lol but I took that out and put it back together and that seemed to fix the stuck menu button problem...

However my pearl seems to still kinda feel harder to push down than normal for it to actually go into something. Could that possibly be the little metal piece underneath it not moving as normal or hmm not sure heh. Maybe it would be something that is fixed by taking the assembly apart? Dunno :P

Also on an unrelated question, the pearl in my phone is no longer really white heh, if I dont have colorpearl on, the white actually looks kinda faded yellowish lol is there a way to fix that? or maybe get a new ball?

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

You can clean it with alcohol on a cue tip but it doesnt do much. I think your pearl button will free up after a with the peace of dust probably bent it a bit.

PIN/ID
    241EDB49

Hmm, well it seems that pushing it is getting harder the more im using it. is this the assembly going out perhaps? I wouldnt mind buying a new assembly if I know that is whats wrong with it, but it scrolls just fine, just the button actually wont activate all the time :P

Or am I SOL and am probably gonna end up having to get a new one.

lupuseven no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Pearl Broken?

I am having the same problem!
    except now its gone insane and wont stop clicking
    It silenced my alarm this morning and I woke up an hour late.
    as I am typing this it anwered the phone, muted, unmuted continuosly until I pulled the battery.

PLEASE PLEASE does some one have a fix for this I am very mechanicaly inclined. the warranty is up so If I scew it up oh well... either I fix it or buy a new phone.

amanderbander no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2452AA5C

if you dont want to take it apart, trying using canned air...and spray around the button...

I have taken apart, cleaned it well.
    still doing it.
    right now I have the trackball out lets see if it still does it....

PIN/ID
    241EDB49

Sounds like your probably having the opposite effect of me. Mine isnt contacting enough with the metal on the bottom of the assembly and yours is touching too much. If you took the assembly apart when you cleaned it did you bend the metal prong on the bottom? I found that when I took mine apart that little bevel in the middle of it was flat and its not supposed to be like that :P Yours is probably bent too far out and therefore constantly touching the contact on the board. Just my guess

I'll try that,

Thanks!

yea the little metal on the bottom should be all the way down, or up, should be in the middle, sort of balance... jbreidel, glad to hear yours is working! and that is all in one piece...

the pearl gets dirty after a while, alcohol and q-tip works but not as much.. you can always get a new assembly if you too concerned about it.

[Former]

PIN/ID
    241EDB49

I had to buy a new assembly before I got mine working lol...the push button part of the pearl for me wasnt working anymore. But I found if anyone is curious, or in Minnesota, World of Wireless sells the assembly for 35$ with the pearl. I know its a bit more than some sites however it was on the spot and took about 5 minutes to put in.

Mine is up and running and man...I cant get used to how white my pearl is anymore lol