The back plate / cover on my BB Pearl just won't "catch" shut. No need ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

KSGranite no está en línea Stack level 2

Pearl Back Cover

Advertisement

The back plate / cover on my BB Pearl just won't "catch" shut. No need to press the release button - it slides off very, very easily........... anyone experienced similar ??

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA
    Hey,
    Just letting you know that half of us have this same problem. So u gonna have to get use to it lol Its just the way pearl is

Genaro no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbabiy
    Hey,
    Just letting you know that half of us have this same problem. So u gonna have to get use to it lol Its just the way pearl is
    ... are you kidding me! Take it back and get one that works as it should! Nobody here has had it longer then 30 days, right?

Other than putting it on wrong once and one of the tabs not catching, mine doesn't have a problem with that, you shouldn't have to settle for it either.

Very poor engineering....... I'm on Vodafone and I've also suffered the answer delay problem raised on other threads so, having already had it replaced 3 times I think I'll just accept it........ just like Peterbabiy suggests.

MickPick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E890D7
    Ya it sucks why would RIM release it knowing that it is faulty! They should mail all of us one that works at no charge!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Quote Originally Posted by MickPick
    Ya it sucks why would RIM release it knowing that it is faulty! They should mail all of us one that works at no charge!

Along with a holster!

phidauex no está en línea Stack level 2

Try taking it back first. You deserve a functioning BB. However, one of those silicone skins would be a cheap solution - and your phone could be pink, just like you've always wanted.

PIN/ID
    23E890D7
    uhh, the Skin at www.bestskinsever.com are cheap and CLEAR not pink... It functions fine... just the battery cover is loose... its not Cingular's fault its RIM!

I found another thread where the guy explains how to do a DIY job on it whaich appears to have fixed his. I'm going to try that.

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    i'm the one that came up with the DIY and successfully implemented it on my phone. But i would suggest you first bring it back and only do the DIY as a last resort only if the store refuses to replace it for you.

do a search on the threads again for this topic and notice that it's not the cover that's defective, it's a missing piece of foam or tab in the latching part and tell this to the store when you bring it back to prove to them you should get a replacement. If you try the DIY first, they may refuse to give you a new one if you break something or do something wrong with the DIY.

PIN/ID
    23E890D7
    do you just pry the button off with a small screwdriver? carefully of coarse

no, the button is VERY easy to pop out. You can probably do it with a toothpick, so a screwdriver is overkill.

There is a super-duper tiny spring underneath and it's not secured to anything, so be careful you don't loose it otherwise your button will go down and not come up.

mrdeeno........ I do have the foam square securely placed on my back cover ? Still a very feeble connect. Maybe it's not thick enough or something ? Vodafone are hard work once the sale is concluded so I think I'll have a go at DIY.

not the phone square on the back cover...this one:

If you are missing the foam square or tab (I have a tab, not a foam piece), then the silver button goes up and down very easily and will not latch tightly to the cover.

If you have it, the button will be very hard to push down but this is how it should be to secure the cover.

If you don't have it, bring it back to T-mo or whoever and tell them to find a phone with a button that is hard to push down and then show them your phone is missing it.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba
    I guess, I'm just a member of the other 50% percent of pearl users!! I haven't ran into any major issues with my pearl, that I haven't ran into with other smartphones. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of the backcover being stable, and hopefully you can just grab another pearl before you even have to do an DIY... But look at the brightside, at least you don't have a sidekick!! Lol peace to all!!