OK i have to ask a noob question. I work in the gulf of mexico ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

derrickman no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Pearl and tomtom connection over BT.

Advertisement

OK i have to ask a noob question. I work in the gulf of mexico on a drilling rig, If i connect my pearl to a tomtom can i make calls with out being near a tower going through the tomtom to a sat. Just wondering. Other than that reason why would i want gps on my pearl if i have a gps tomtom unit which im getting in a few weeks. "company safety award" TOMTOM ONE ver 3 i think its called.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

Re: Pearl and tomtom connection over BT.

tomtom have released a client for some symbian based mobiles, unfortunately it was developed in c and not java (symbian has a java vm so lots of applications are written using java as it has a quicker development period than c).

tomtom have recently been looking to hire a mobile java programmer for their scotland office so they are definitely working on a java solution and it'd make sense for them to include a blackberry port in their release.

like cellguy says, i also cannot pair with the tomtom (tomtom one in my case) for anything other than the speaker. the bluetooth implementation on blackberry is pretty basic and doesnt contain many profiles. my guess is only gps pucks that allow the bluetooth serial port emulation profile will work, maybe tomtom use another profile (can't be sure, never looked into it too deeply).

derrickman no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

ok that answers my question, so i can assume that in future there could be some nice things come from this set up if they get a java program side to the tomtom.

asht_200 no está en línea Stack level 1

Using OS 4.2.1.66 you can pair the BB and Tomtom together and use the blackberry as a modem for the plus services.

Only works with OS 4.2.1.66

And I don't think you could use the Tomtom as a Sat Phone as suggested in the original question - for starters, GPS is not a communications system