Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi! The new pearl firmware upgrade has (in options, advanced) a 'GPS' entry (but no ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mik
    mik no está en línea Stack level 2

Pearl and GPS / blackberry maps?

Advertisement

Hi!

The new pearl firmware upgrade has (in options, advanced) a 'GPS' entry (but no further options)

Does that mean that the Pearl has the necessary hardware to receive a GPS signal? I am confused? (I have a friend with an 8800 who says it DOES have build in GPS....)

I have seen people saying that they are running the 'Pearl' and GPS....

Also, the Blackberry site says that Blackberry Maps is available for the pearl - why would one want Maps without GPS?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

Mik

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Pearl and GPS / blackberry maps?

Mik, the 8800 has built in GPS and the 8100 does not.

You can use BBmaps and google maps with the Pearl these will give you maps and directions to restaurants,zip codes etc and traffic updates. But not full GPS capability.

You can sync the pearl with a external GPS via cable or Bluetooth.

wyattjp no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E73DDB

I have a RoyalTek bluetooth GPS that I have paired with my 8100 and it works perfectly with Maps.

jeepnh no está en línea Stack level 1

Does anyone know if
    ANY BlueTooth GSP receiver 'paired' with 8100 will make ANY maps programs (GoogleMaps, MapQuest) live, meaning reporting where you are and capaple of directing me to another address (ie entered / selected from address book)?

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

You'll want to browse around the stacks a little for some specific models that people have working, but yes, when using a external bluetooth GPS puck both Google maps and BB maps are 'live'.

Welcome to the Stacks! Let us know anytime there is something we might be able to help with!

kenshincruise no está en línea Stack level 1

hi guys, i dont know if i'm getting stupid, since i updated my OS i can't find the MAP...
    core2duo:gigabyte-ds3:corsair520hx:g.skill2gb:swiftechliquidcooled:
    blackberry8100 pearl

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Quote Originally Posted by mik
    why would one want Maps without GPS?
    I just read this again and had to laugh. You do realize that maps were around before GPS right? And that there is a way to read one without a GPS to interpret them? Not trying to be mean or anything, it just sounded funny. I guess I was a boy scout for too long or something..

TravisMLC no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm thinking about upgrading the OS, but the forum on AT&T mentioned the MAPS icon disappearing. I have an external GPS that I use with my Pearl on its original OS. Will I lose MAPS if I upgrade to .96?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

You shouldn't lose it. Everything gets backed up and restored. Just remember to backup before you start the process also just to be safe.

AT&T is clearly trying to bury BB Maps in favor of its subscription GPS Service. After the upgrade, BB Maps was still on the device, but there was no way to launch it. Moreover, the mapping menu item for the address book was not available.

I went to blackberry.com to upload BB Maps directly from Blackberry. During the process, a message specifically came up that BB Maps is not available to AT&T customers. I ignored the message and loaded it anyway. After the load, it works fine, just like it worked before I upgraded the OS. People need to get the word out that AT&T is trying to kill off BB Maps in the upgrade process to the new OS.

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Wow, this is pretty brazen of At&t. Can anyone else collaborate this? This is the kind of thing I am expecting from wifi enabled phones also. Tmobile just launched its hotspot@home service and it sounds like a similar move.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I just went to the mobile.blackberry.com site on my phone and selected the BB Maps application. It doees indeed contain a note right above the download button that states:

"Note: BlackBerry Maps is not available on the AT&T network."

I don't like this at all. I did notice that when I upgraded to the latest AT&T OS the BB Maps went away. For the record, I am an AT&T subscriber.

Note: Downloading now -- it still seems to work if you just ignore the "Note".

After I downloaded BB Maps, my e-mail stopped working correctly. I received a Searching for Network message. I powered down, then up, and then I was on the "edge" network instead of "EDGE". I removed BB Maps, the phone re-initialized, and I was back on "EDGE".

I don't know if BB Maps is the actual issue in my network access problem, but it is starting to look suspiciously like ATT did something to conflict with BB Maps.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Not to mention that when I did an update through the Application Loader it removed the icon for BB Maps. Now it's on my BB but I can't get to it.

This is really BAD in my opinion.

I just posted a note on the AT&T BB Forum asking why BB Maps aren't available for AT&T network customers. I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast