Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My friend has an 8830 & his trackball feels very smooth when rolling. Mine on ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jr!
    jr! no está en línea Stack level 3

Pearl 8130 trackball feels....gritty

Advertisement

My friend has an 8830 & his trackball feels very smooth when rolling.
    Mine on my 2 week old 8130 feels...gritty for lack of a better word. I went back to the Telus store & was told it was normal on new phones.
    Is this normal??
    It's still under warranty & Telus told me if it continues & it bothers me to bring it back & swap it out under warranty.
    Thoughts?

Xyxyll no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Pearl 8130 trackball feels....gritty

Mine feels the same... and it's about two weeks old. I think it's just how the 8130's came out.

BTW, I much prefer the feel of the 8830's trackwheel to the new 8130.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

you can try a q-tip with light rubbing alcohol to clean it

yoshio no está en línea Stack level 2

Trackball is the same on the new curves as well. I think it was mentioned the assembly is different, and the trackball itself has changed. We all miss the old trackball setup...

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yeah I had a pearl and the trackball was much nicer. I wonder why they changed? Gritty is definately the word you would use. And it feels looser too. I saw a post in pinstack on how to swap the trackball out. Haven't had the guts or ehem - balls to do it yet, but I think I'll give it a go. Anyone find that the new trackball is less responsive too than the Pearl?

playa4life5794 no está en línea Stack level 1
    New trackball is a no go. I'm not sure exactly wat it is but the trackball is not the problem.I bought 3! Still tht "gritty" feeling. LOL

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    trackballs vary from device to device and from model to model. I have an 8310-feels grainy and its new. I have 2 8100s-one feels grainy and the other is extremely smooth, go figure.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Hmm, I had been noticing a little of this grainy feeling with my few month old 8130, but in all fairness, I like having that little bit of resistance/feel to it, something that I can feel through my thumb that tellan me its working.

I dunno, I've tried some smoother ones and it just feels weird. Only time I can say I ever had any accuracy issues with my "gritty" trackball was when I first got the phone and wasn't used to it...all's well now.

armageddon513 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I noticed that too on the new phones. It seems the older 8830 have a smoother trackball. I have the pearl and I just ppord it out and switched it. Now my 8130 is smooth. Fortunately I work for a cell company and I have access to BBs that people being back damaged. So I swapped a coworkers of mine as well. But I am noticing that all the BBs that I send out the door no matter what model has that grainy feeling. You can buy replacement trackballs on eBay but you can't be 100% sure that they are going to be smooth.

KMAC14 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I too have a trackball problem. My phone is about 3 weeks old, a few days ago it was very unresponsive so i took it apart and cleaned it. The trackball setup is almost identical to the old non-optical mouses for computers, but, instead of just 2 of the bars, there are 4 surrounding the entire trackball. They are magnetically held in place to the entire tracking system. I took the entire thing apart, which encompasses the outer shiny ring, trackball, plastic bracket, metal bracket, and 4 track pins. i took a little alcohol and a knife and cleaned the little grooves on the track pins, put it all back together and it works like new.

jr!
    jr! no está en línea Stack level 3
    I ended up replacing mine with one from blackberrytrackballs.com, I just popped it in, the ring they gave me didn't fit flush, so I just used my old retaining ring. Enough is enough, I uses my sister in law's 8130 this weekend & her trackball was totally gritty & nasty, it felt like it wasn't even round, but lemon shaped or something...

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610
    I have often felt that the trackb all was gritty, but after doing some reading I have come to find out that they are made that way to ensure maximum responsivness when in the ball housing. I have seen a few articles where people have taken out the stock ball and replaced with a glass marble or berring, both did not work in conjuction with the phone.....alas we are left with a gritty dirty ball, but at least it works!

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Just want to make sure I'm talking about the same thing here, what I experience is a rough feeling under the ball during use, not actually a gritty trackball.

I can perfectly understand how the gritty response would help with accuracy of the ball and I'm fine with mine.

KMAC14 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    Just want to make sure I'm talking about the same thing here, what I experience is a rough feeling under the ball during use, not actually a gritty trackball.

I can perfectly understand how the gritty response would help with accuracy of the ball and I'm fine with mine.

cosign. The gritty-ness does increase responsiveness. The ball itself as some texture on the surface, however, the gritty feeling is coming from the 4 trackball pins located on all 4 sides of the ball. They have tiny grooves on them that increase accuracy of the trackball. So in the end, it really doesnt have anything to do with the ball itself, but the entire trackball system.

jbezeau no está en línea Stack level 1
    from my understand the trackballs went from being made in canada to being made in mexico and its actually a lower quality trackball.....you can get the old ones a cnn.cn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast