I know a lot of you have the new pearl, can any of you post ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

didomenico77 no está en línea Stack level 3

Pearl 8130 review???

Advertisement

I know a lot of you have the new pearl, can any of you post an overall review of the browser, battery, new OS, and all the new improvements and how you like the device so far?

Its greatly appreciated!

davidscott no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c28f5e

Re: Pearl 8130 review???

Also.. would there happen to be any useres that have the new Pearl and were previous owners to the 8830?.. if so whats your feedback?

I will probably have a review up before anyone else does. And I dont even have the phone till the 23!

xsists no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

I got the phone last Saturday and I haven't put it down since. This is my first berry but I work on them all the time. I can give up a few of my thoughts on the device. I came from an enV and I don't think I'll be looking back.

The browser: Well obviously not full HTML like the windows mobile devices but decent none-the-less. It uses a lot of WAP pages like the mobile web on my enV. I do, however, prefer the bb's browser because it is quite a lot faster than mobile web 2.0 and much easier to use. I have mine set to colum view and have a pointer to make selections. You can switch it to "page view" and zoom in and out of sites. Overall, I wish I had full HTML but I am quite pleased with what it has/does.

Battery: Like I stated before, I haven't put this device down much. I am constantly on it. Playing brick breaker/other games, browsing, texting (I send about 4.5k texts a month) and phone usage. The phone will last me a full day at work and most the night. Once I get everything set the way I want it and calm down with it a little I can foresee being able to get 2+ days of usage out of it.

OS: I am not sure about older OS versions but I haven't had this thing freeze at all. No need to reset it or anything. I get a few hang ups now and then but no actual freezing. I played with other berries before but not enough to notice many differences between the OS. One thing I did find is I cannot load themes or apps onto it with the desktop manager until the OS is released. I found a back way to load themes though.

Media: The camera is pretty nice. It takes great low light pictures with the flash which I was surprised with but still not as good as the 2 mp that was on my enV. I don't think the pearl has the auto focus like the enV. The video recorder is excellent though. Takes very clear, very smooth video. Really impressed with this function. The mp3 player is phenomenal as well. The interface is just like a iPod. The stereo headset that came with the phone is quiet though. I haven't tried regular headphones yet though. Sound quality is great though. Also, without the headphones the phone plays music very loud. The speaker is kinda muffled by the battery cover though. If you take it off the sound is louder/clearer. Hopefully Seido makes a replacement cover like they do for the original pearl. On a side note about the battery cover, I have tested this with a few different pearls, it slides back and forth when on the phone. Not a big deal but rather annoying.

Device: After getting used to the keyboard I am loving this device. I am seriously addicted to it right now. I guess the term "crackberry" is true. The pouch that is included in the package is rather lackluster though. I was hoping for a small pouch similar to one that comes with the 8830 but nope. It is a stand alone pouch, more like a sleeve. No clip on it. The belt clip that verizon carries is clear as well. Not quite good looking at all. I carry this phone in my pocket and plan to get a BSE for it anyways.

However there is another device about to launch for verizon that I have my eye on. I originally wanted the i760 since last January but after seeing/using the device I did not like it. I wanted to be able to use t9 on the front with the buttons that are there but there is no option. The other device is the HTC 5800. I have heard it does have t9 and windows mobile 6 smartphone on it. I am waiting to see if I will like this device and replace the berry with it. It is going to be very very hard to replace the pearl though. I love the functionality I am getting out of the device and I like the fact I'm saving $15 by having the bb plan @ $30 rather than the $45 plan for other pda/smartphones.

If anyone has any other questions, ask and I'll try to answer them as best as I can. You can pin me if you'd like as well.
    Last edited by xsists; 11-08-2007 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks alot xsits! I appreciate the review!