Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by schlice ... Sprint's GPS-enabled phones use true GPS co-processors and procude full ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

schlice no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    211C2A7D

Re: Pearl 8130 8120

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by schlice View Post
    ... Sprint's GPS-enabled phones use true GPS co-processors and procude full NMEA 0183 formatted data streams, which is why they work with third-party apps utilizing GPS.
    This is why I recommend getting a WiFi-enabled phone (far more useful than GPS built-in) and buy an external GPS puck (Bluetooth, of course). Leave the heavy lifting to the puck. Makes your phone smaller, lighter, and less expensive.

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0

I've been rockin the globalsat puck + 8100 for over a year now, and I can't say enough good about the combo. I like being able to put the puck up on the dash of a car, or lanyard it to the top of my backpack (on a motorcycle or bicycle). I can place it where it gets great reception and have the phone at the ready. It's small enough (about half the size of the pearl) to keep in a jacket or pants pocket. It uses a min-USB for charging. I've used the crap out of it when traveling--typically in conjunction with google maps. The most recent google maps also has a "my location" feature that gives you a far less-accurate, but still very helpful indication of where you're located. I'm personally very excited to upgrade to a 2 Megapixel Wi-Fi 8120 and continue using my global sat puck for instances where I need to know my precise location.
    Last edited by astroboy; 01-25-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: wanted to explain size better.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Technically, there's no way to "uncripple" it because it's not technically "crippled." It's "pseudo-GPS."

Here's how it works.

With traditional SiRF Star III GPS receivers and their ilk, they have upwards of 24 channels of receive capability. They recieve all of that pseudocode on all 20-plus channels simultaneously, and then have to crunch the numbers to determine a fixed location on the Earth. However, while that many channels will produce very accurate results, you really only need three satellites to give you a 2-D fix, and four satellites to give you a 3-D fix. So what they do instead is use the "GPS" chip in the phone to listen to a few satellites (sorry, I'm not exactly sure how many - it technically can't be any fewer than three) and transmit that pseudocode (and associated ephemeris data) to the nearest tower, which does the heavy lifting crunching the numbers. The tower knows your location within its own cells, and using that along with the transmitted pseudocode, it can approximate your position. It then returns your position to the phone, which uses it along with the VZ Navigator application to show your position on a map. It's a proprietary format used for the location data---not traditional NMEA 0183 format, the standard format for raw GPS data---which is why it can't be used for apps that look for that data, such as GMaps.

To their credit, Verizon chose this path so they could distribute the "GPS" capability to as many handhelds as possible without increasing size, power consumption, or most importantly, price. It does lock you into VZ Navigator as your source for "GPS" capability, but in almost all handsets, this capability is available.

Sprint's GPS-enabled phones use true GPS co-processors and procude full NMEA 0183 formatted data streams, which is why they work with third-party apps utilizing GPS.

So, you assert that the Verizon 8130 has different hardware from the Sprint and all the other 8130s?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    Here are the specs for the 8100, 8120, and the 8130. There is also an 8110 but cannot find that on BlackBerry.com

As for AT&T, not sure since they haven't announced it yet, but people are rumoring it will be the 8120. Will not be the 8130 since that is CDMA (Verizon, Sprint etc).

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...d=H0,C101,P705 This one is the Rogers Wireless Pearl.

CountryMud no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249DF3DF

Interesting.. Can't wait..
    Video record, 2.0mp cam are the two main features Im lookin for.

PIN/ID
    211C2A7D

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post
    So, you assert that the Verizon 8130 has different hardware from the Sprint and all the other 8130s?

Rcbjr.
    You are absolutely correct, and I should have been more specific (obviously, I was not reading for comprehension). For the large majority of VZ handsets, the GPS capability is as I described. The 8130, however, does have true GPS, produces true NMEA output, but from what I'm reading, Verizon is blocking 3rd party software access to the GPS data. Blackberry Maps works if you tell it "Start GPS" but GMaps does not. Turn-by-turn is still provided by VZ Navigator. $9.99 a month, or $2.99 a day (for 24 hour access).

I'm no longer VZ's biggest fan, so I'll have to wait until the 8120 hits AT&T before I can rock any NewPearl goodness.
    Last edited by schlice; 02-12-2008 at 05:39 AM.

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3

You are absolutely correct, and I should have been more specific (obviously, I was not reading for comprehension). For the large majority of VZ handsets, the GPS capability is as I described. The 8130, however, does have true GPS, produces true NMEA output, but from what I'm reading, Verizon is blocking 3rd party software access to the GPS data. Blackberry Maps works if you tell it "Start GPS" but GMaps does not. Turn-by-turn is still provided by VZ Navigator. $9.99 a month, or $2.99 a day (for 24 hour access).

I'm no longer VZ's biggest fan, so I'll have to wait until the 8120 hits AT&T before I can rock any NewPearl goodness.

I am sorry, but I find it hard to believe that all of these VZW 8130's are different on the inside. They were pressed off of the same line and the only difference is the branding and the software. Even the soft ware is the same with the exception of the vendor codes "deciding" which parts of the OS to use. I believe that VZW saw a way to make more money and is eating it up. I have to pay for a data plan and they also want me to pay another $10 a month vor navigator? PUH-LEASE
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

PIN/ID
    211C2A7D

Quote Originally Posted by firegeek View Post
    I am sorry, but I find it hard to believe that all of these VZW 8130's are different on the inside. They were pressed off of the same line and the only difference is the branding and the software.
    I explained that they are indeed the same on thie inside.

Quote Originally Posted by firegeek View Post
    Even the soft ware is the same with the exception of the vendor codes "deciding" which parts of the OS to use. I believe that VZW saw a way to make more money and is eating it up. I have to pay for a data plan and they also want me to pay another $10 a month vor navigator? PUH-LEASE
    That's what we're thinking. What we know so far is that Verizon has found a way to prevent third-party applications from accessing the GPS data stream. This is so they can lock you into VZNavigator. If they didn't do that, you could use TeleNav or MapQuest turn-by-turn products, and VZ wouldn't get that revenue. It's much like long service contracts; designed so that they get the money.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I was just looking at the 8120. I am HOPING T-Mo gets it in both grey and blue so I can choose the blue Berry LOL If I got grey, it would remind me of my 7100t.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12