Hi All, I have a BB unlocked ex AT&T, have checked by typing MEDP in ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Aenpecca no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Pearl 8100 won't connect to Internet Service

Advertisement

Hi All,
    I have a BB unlocked ex AT&T, have checked by typing MEDP in Options>Advanced>Sim Card and I find that all the list items is DISABLED so I'm sure it is unlocked.

My Operator is Indosat - Indonesia. Having insert my sim card and changing device to it's BIS control panel website, I find no error and it works as expected. The problem is I can't connect to the internet service because the indicator is always "edge" instead of "EDGE" as expected.

I find that items in the list of the Options>Status like the followings after typing BUYR:
    Data Service: IT Policy Enabled
    Voice Service: IT Policy Enabled

Can anyone explain about it? Is it related to the cause of why my BB can't connect to Internet Service? How to resolve this problem?

Done with upgrade to 4.5 OS but still no luck. Please help.

Thanks Guys.

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    IT policy will limit you in other ways, but shouldn't affect how your phone reads the edge vs EDGE - that's simply related to how the phone is reading the signal. In a part of my basement I get GPRS, in another edge, in another EDGE.

Are you not getting an EDGE indicator anywhere (even near an window or outside)?

Hi Red, thanks for your reply.

Yes not anywhere but with the other handheld it's always everywhere.

BTW, is it normal that the setting of APN always point to Cingular everytime after replacing battery?

Let's back up a bit.

I have a BB unlocked ex AT&T, have checked by typing MEDP in
    Options>Advanced>Sim Card and I find that all the list items is
    DISABLED so I'm sure it is unlocked.
    You can make calls, yes?
    My Operator is Indosat - Indonesia. Having insert my sim card
    and changing device to it's BIS control panel website, I find no
    error and it works as expected. The problem is I can't connect
    to the internet service because the indicator is always "edge"
    instead of "EDGE" as expected.
    I'm taking this to mean you entered your new PIN on the BIS site of your provider and it didn't say the PIN was already in use or linked to a different e-mail, correct?
    I find that items in the list of the Options>Status like the followings
    after typing BUYR:
    Data Service: IT Policy Enabled
    Voice Service: IT Policy Enabled
    IT policies are put in for BES customers, meaning the phone was likely a corporate phone at some point in time.

(EDGE signal) not anywhere but with the other handheld it's
    always everywhere.
    Under Options>Mobile Network>Data Services should be on

Normally I'd suggest updating Host Routing Tables or downloading service books, but that's not likely to work if you're not getting EDGE. Try it anyway though.

BTW, is it normal that the setting of APN always point to Cingular
    everytime after replacing battery?
    It is if you're a AT&T Cingular customer.
    Also nice to know you have done a battery pull!
    How's the actual signal strength showing?

Will PM you about IT Policy removal.

BTW: the only other reason you should never be getting an EDGE and only an edge is if you don't have a data plan on the account linked to your SIM, but then you shouldn't have been able to successfully setup the BIS since you wouldn't have a BIS for it.

Smile

Thanks Red.

Yes I can make a call, it's no problem at all. I entered the pin and does not have any trouble in any way. Yup, the Data Services is set to ON.

Can't update Host Routing Table because no entries there and I've tried the service books through the website from my pc.

About the APN which is pointing to AT&T Cingular. That confuses me a lot. Why on earth it is still there since my handheld is registered to other provider and the phone is unlocked for sure.

My data plan is still valid until Nov 26, and with the same sim card, it works on my wife's handheld 8320 Curve.

BTW thanks for the PM, I try to follow directions in it. Actually I've done the procedure once but with new downloaded policy.bin and set the registry string value to point to that new downloaded one and it works great on Curve 8320. As per your suggestion this time I should remove the policy.bin file or rename it and remove also the registry reference. Aha it's good to try I think. I'll get back to you to report the result.

Thanks Red for helping me so far.
    Last edited by Aenpecca; 11-23-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Can't update Host Routing Table because no entries there and I've tried the service books through the website from my pc.
    In Options>Advanced>Host Routing Table>menu, are you seeing a Register Now option?
    About the APN which is pointing to AT&T Cingular. That confuses me a lot. Why on earth it is still there since my handheld is registered to other provider and the phone is unlocked for sure.
    You should be able to change it, but if it keeps reverting or won't let you change it that would likely be an IT policy issue (not sure if that's it or not, but you should be able to change it - if you can, blank out the APN settings and retry the Host Routing Table update/register).

My data plan is still valid until Nov 26, and with the same sim card, it works on my wife's handheld 8320 Curve.
    Just to make sure we're on the same page, this sim card BIS now has the 8100's PIN, correct? It sounds like that's the case from your earlier comments.

BTW thanks for the PM, I try to follow directions in it. Actually I've done the procedure once but with new downloaded policy.bin and set the registry string value to point to that new downloaded one and it works great on Curve 8320.
    You should only do this on phones that have an IT policy, and if you're not a BES customer (otherwise BES admins will be unhappy with you).

Incidentally, if you hit ALT-LGLG it'll bring up an event log. Choose Menu, clear the log, escape out of there (save any changes if it asks), then do a battery pull.

After it starts up again you can do ALT-LGLG again and see if there's anything in there that gives you more insight.

Hi Red,

I did what you told me about the IT policy removal last night and still not working out. I think it's not the case because I tried the same procedure to another BB handheld which is perfectly working; Options>Status and type BUYR, it shows the same result for the last two rows:
    Data Usage: IT Policy Enabled
    Voice Usage: IT Policy Enabled

Just wondering if I try with a new registration with a new sim card (not switching), it will work? or Bring the handheld to my provider for assistance could be the last resort? What do you think?

I did what you told me about the IT policy removal last night and still not working out. I think it's not the case because I tried the same procedure to another BB handheld which is perfectly working; Options>Status and type BUYR, it shows the same result for the last two rows:
    Data Usage: IT Policy Enabled
    Voice Usage: IT Policy Enabled
    You'd mentioned the BUYR thing before and it hadn't clicked in. If you go into Options>Security Options>General Settings, do you see anything mentioning an IT Policy?

Just wondering if I try with a new registration with a new sim card (not switching), it will work?
    Can't guarantee that.
    or Bring the handheld to my provider for assistance could be the last resort? What do you think?
    You can ask your provider, but they might not be willing to help you since you got the phone elsewhere. Then again they might so it's probably worth a try.

As a 'last resort' and if you have the latest software (4.5) on there you could also use JL_Cmdr to do a wipe and factory reset on the device. If you decide to do that ask for more info first.

Hi Red,

In General Settings, there is no IT Policies enabled.

To answer my curiosity, I finally register a BB data plan with my other same provider sim card but I have not been confirmed by a replying sms up to now (about an hour). Is it a clue for you to see? Usually it replies the confirmation instantly from my experience with this provider.

Yes I'm interested to use JL_Cmdr to factory resetting. Would you mind enlightening me about it Red? Is it the other way of doing Wipe Handheld or it is more powerful than wiping handheld (e.g. for resetting the data/voice usage/lifetimer)?
    Last edited by Aenpecca; 11-24-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Hi again Red,

I've just received a confirmation by sms saying that my new BB service is currently active. But still...the EDGE doesn't come up even after do the batt pulling.

Poor me .

In General Settings, there is no IT Policies enabled.
    You should be okay then. I used the IT policy removal on one of my devices and it no longer shows the actual BES IT policy in General Settings that used to be there, but does show the same as yours under BUYR in STATUS - those should now be basically blank or unrestricted policies.

I've just received a confirmation by sms saying that my new BB service is currently active. But still...the EDGE doesn't come up even after do the batt pulling.
    Figured that might be the case so I didn't want to suggest it. I'm assuming you did try to resend service books, update host routing tables.

Did Alt-LGLG give you any info?

Yes I'm interested to use JL_Cmdr to factory resetting. Would you mind enlightening me about it Red? Is it the other way of doing Wipe Handheld or it is more powerful than wiping handheld (e.g. for resetting the data/voice usage/lifetimer)?
    Will send you a PM about this and a couple of other things.