When i connect my pearl to my computer, it pops up and says: windows does ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jmarley no está en línea Stack level 2

PC Wont Recognize Pearl - Help!!!

Advertisement

When i connect my pearl to my computer, it pops up and says: windows does not recognize device, and something about it has malfunctioned. either way, my pc does not recognize a phone is connected

i have uninstalled my original desktop manager, downloaded the most recent version - no luck

i have downloaded the newest drivers from the blackberry website - no luck

i have done a hard reset on my phone - no luck

i have tried new cables, every desktop manager version, and without my SD card - no luck

does anyone have any ideas whatsoever. i dont care if the suggestion is to dunk it in water - i will try it. im going bananas here. i have thought that maybe i need to upgrade my OS, but without desktop manager, i dont think its possible?

also, i have plugged my phone into my friends who computer who also has a blackberry with desktop manager - computer does not recognize.

PLEASE HELP!!!

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    When you connect the phone to the pc, open desktop manager and try to manually scan the ports. Go to options and selecty connection settings. Select usb pin and you should be good to go. May take a couple tries.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

it just says something about COM3 or some crap. not even usb, and i cant get it to scan for ports...any ideas on getting it to do that ?

okay i was wrong. it says USB, but not usb pin...so the only thing i can do is hit okay and it doesnt scan? its either usb or none, and at the bottom of desktop manager it says PIN: none..

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    How many times have you rebooted your PC in the whole process?

quite a few...i have shut down and restarted, or just a plain restart many times...but no go..and this problem just came out of nowhere so i have no idea whats going on..blows my mind though, i cant find the problem

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Are you trying to install a new OS or anything. Or does it just not connect all the sudden?

i was just going to connect and add some new themes and programs, things like that, then all of the sudden one day i try it and its like its a foreign object. but after i installed the new desktop manager, it always asks for a restart and i always comply...so i dont think that is it. to install a new OS, i need to connect to desktop manager correct?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarley View Post
    i was just going to connect and add some new themes and programs, things like that, then all of the sudden one day i try it and its like its a foreign object. but after i installed the new desktop manager, it always asks for a restart and i always comply...so i dont think that is it. to install a new OS, i need to connect to desktop manager correct?
    Correct. This is no fun to do but it may work for you. Unistall the DM again then go into program files and delete all traces of the research in motion folders in program files/comman files. Reboot your system and reinstall. Reboot again plug in your device and open DM. Doesn't work everytime but from what I have seen works more times than not.

does it matter which version of dm i reinstall? and throughout this whole process i should leave my bb disconnected is that right? i will definitely try this, i am desperate and sounds like getting a clean beginning will be helpful. thanks moderncowboy

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    In my opinion, go with 4.5, I know others will say go the newest with 4.6, but I've personally had problems with 4.6.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarley View Post
    does it matter which version of dm i reinstall? and throughout this whole process i should leave my bb disconnected is that right? i will definitely try this, i am desperate and sounds like getting a clean beginning will be helpful. thanks moderncowboy
    It shouldnt matter what version some say they have issues with4.6 but I never have. do not connect your device until after you have reloaded and rebooted but connect it before you open DM after the reinstall and reboot.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by volscian View Post
    In my opinion, go with 4.5, I know others will say go the newest with 4.6, but I've personally had problems with 4.6.
    see what I mean...lol . It's your choice but if 4.6 gives you issues I agree with volscian go to 4.5.