Hello all. I got my 8100 BBP from Tmobile about 18 months ago. I believe ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lurkin no está en línea Stack level 1

Overheated Pearl

Advertisement

Hello all. I got my 8100 BBP from Tmobile about 18 months ago. I believe it was one of the first generation. It's running the latest software from Tmobile, vr4.2.1.107 and the lastest DM, vr4.7. Here for the that month or two it has been giving me alot of problems. 1) The phone overheats. I have a clear two piece shell protector on mine that snaps together and it overheated so bad that it seperated the shell and the battery door warped. The battery was extremely hot. 2) The indicator light will flash 3 red then flash 2 red. Which I'm guessing is error 32. It looks as if the phone is off but its not. I have to do the battery pull reset to get it to come back on. 3) Sometimes I get a white screen that shows error code 505 and just under that it says reset. 4) Here recently it will lose the media card folder and I have to do the battery pull for it to reconize the card. I tried alot of things to get to get rid of my problems but none have worked. Heres a list of things I've done. First I replaced the battery. Worked ok for awhile but back to the same problems. Replaced sim card. Nothing. I think it has something to do with the sim card because I left my BB on without the sim card in for about 4 days and not one problem. It seem like I get the problems when I get calls or texts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My Tmobile contract is up soon and so is the life of my Pearl.
    REF YOU!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Well you have done well with your troubleshooting so far. Has your phone been dropped hard, left in extreme weather conditions, gotten any water damage? I can't believe t-mobile still doesn't have 4.5 available for the 8100, every other carrier does...but maybe you can try upgrading to 4.5 from another carrier...an OS upgrade may help, but I am leanig more towards some kind of hardware malfunction...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

The phone has never been wet or dropped (that I know of), I have kids. I talked to a BB tech and he asked me if I have any other themes installed or apps. I told him that I have 1 app (soft reset) and 1 installed and using theme. He told me that some themes may change the voltage of the phone. I have heard of themes doing bad things. So I have uninstalled all 3rd party themes and apps Everything is the same as I bought it except for the device firmware. I will see how it goes and then reply back.
    REF YOU!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'd be surprised if themes were the problem. I had an 8310 that did the same thing, so I wiped it completely and installd a new OS, and it still did it. You've got an electrical short/drain in your device it sounds like. I hope you can get it to work, but I had no luck.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Its a mechanical problem. I had 2 8100's that did this.

They went into reboot cycles on their own when connected to my PC or a portable charger and showed the 505 reset screen. Upgraded, wiped and reinstalled multiple OS's on both and still had to replace them. My 3rd 8100 which is the backup for my 8120, still works fine without any issues.

Thumbs up

Well it's been about a week now since I have uninstalled the one and only app on my BB called soft reset and one theme called Luminous. Guess what? Overheating - gone, code 32 - gone, random resets - gone, error 505 - gone. I guess what I'm saying is that all my problems are gone. I believe it was the theme that was causing all my problems, just like the BB tech said. Me so happy that my BB doesn't have A.D.D. anymore.
    REF YOU!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's great to hear. I am happy we were able to help. Some apps are memory hoggers that can cause problems. I had Viigo on my 8120 a couple months ago and one day while reading an article, I got the spinning hourglass. It spun so long that it literally drained my battery. A battery pull solved it.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Lol, that's great. Never heard of a theme making a Berry overheat . I guess you learn something new every week here on the Stacks.

Yes I agree about the weird theme issue. The BB tech said that some themes will change the voltage in someway. Is there a list of error codes for the BB8100. If so could you direct me in the right direction please? Thanks. By the way I would like to use the program called JL_Cmder to wipe my BB clean. Do I have to remove the sim and SD card first? Also it says to make a backup before the wipe. Then after the whole wipe process it tells you to do a restore of the backup. What exactly am I wiping if I just install the restore? This probally should of been a new topic. Sorry. [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
    Last edited by lurkin; 06-25-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    REF YOU!

PIN/ID
    nada
    I would remove the SD card. JL_Cmder will completely erase your OS, but a backup I guess would be good. You will have to reinstall your OS completely, like it had no OS on it which it wont. Install the new OS and then maybe install the backup after. Just make sure you install the exact OS as the one thats on it now. Also make sure if youre installing an OS thats from another carrier than yours that you delete the vendor xml file before installing.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red