Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

this is a question that ive been meaning to ask, i currently use OS 4.2.1.101 ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

stuart B no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256c5822

OS version on the Pearl

Advertisement

this is a question that ive been meaning to ask, i currently use OS 4.2.1.101 on my Pearl. I know that there are newer versions out but firstly is there much of a benifit upgrading, does it cause problems? if not which is the best version to have? and whats different?

Oh my currently with o2 (UK) but after changing the original OS run with the mto theme which i love and ideally do not want to change.

Sorry i know there is alot of questions but you know whats it like, you start to type and more comes into your head lol

Thanks

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: OS version on the Pearl

Stuart,

I'm not with O2 but my Pearl is an O2 handset. I'm with T-Mobile but my OS comes from O2 (because it HAS to come from them.) The O2 current OS version is 4.2.1.93, which I am running. The way I discovered all this is that I had a problem a while back, tried to download the latest version of the OS from T-Mobile and, when I couldn't, called BB support thru T-Mo and learned that I had to get it from O2.

Just wanted to let you know that, if your phone is an O2 phone I believe that the only place you can download the OS IS from O2. They are supposed to have an upgrade 1st quarter of 2008 but, if you don't have a problem, there's no reason to be software pioneer unless you want to.

I hope that helps.
    jb

BTW the download address is: http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/B...d_software.asp
    Last edited by jblackfish; 01-02-2008 at 10:15 AM.

PIN/ID
    256c5822

Thanks for your advise jb

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

You can run any carriers OS on the BB as long as it is for your model of BB. The latest currently posted is here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/520686-post45.html

After installing on your PC, you will need to delete the vendor.xml file located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Run Desktop Manager after deleting the file and it should advise you that an update is available. Let me know how that works out for you.

@jblackfish: The carriers will not tell you how to install another carriers OS upgrade, but we will
    @both OP & jblackfish: Try this and advise me of any issus you have and we will walk you through them.

PIN/ID
    256c5822

thanks, so all i need to do is download the software and delete the vendorxxx files? will this still give me tmo theme ? and sorry to be a pain but how major is the difference?

You're the man, doughdaddy! Thanks very much for the info. I'll give it a try when I get a few minutes and report back with the results. (The only reason I did it the way I did was that the BB cust srvc rep discovered my original problem, gave the the O2 address and advised me to do it - not wrong, just incomplete.)

This is the reason I love PinStack...and I'll help whenever I can but I'm still livin' and learnin'.
    Later.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart B View Post
    thanks, so all i need to do is download the software and delete the vendorxxx files? will this still give me tmo theme ? and sorry to be a pain but how major is the difference?
    No problem. The upgrades fix bugs in the os. To get the T-Mo theme search for the thread on how to unlock vendor themes or I can walk you through it when I get to my desk later.

PIN/ID
    256c5822

Thanks

PIN/ID
    256c5822

Thumbs up Re: OS version on the Pearl

Great! Thanks it works a treat. i would be grateful if you could talk me through how to activate the tmo theme again as that would just made it perfect!!
    PS the amount of extra space i have is great!
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by stuart B View Post
    Great! Thanks it works a treat. i would be grateful if you could talk me through how to activate the tmo theme again as that would just made it perfect!!
    PS the amount of extra space i have is great!
    Thanks again
    1. Browse to the following location on your PC; C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\YOUR OS VERSION
    2. Open the BlackBerry.alx file with notepad and do a search (Edit > Find) in the file for the word “theme”, click find next so you find the second instance. You will see several entries that look like the one below. Find the T-Mobile one:
    3. You will notice that each <fileset> has a vendor associated with it, remove that (in bold below)
    4. Save the file and run the DM app loader. It should tell you that new files have been found (that would be the theme).

<!—T-Mobile filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendor="114">
    <files>
    THEME_NAME_HERE.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

You can unlock all the vendor themes if you want but watch the amount of memory it will take up. I recommend opening the themes one at a time and try them. Then re-add the _vendor="114" code to lock it up and remove it again.

Let me know if you get stuck.

PIN/ID
    256c5822

thanks for the above, but i think i messed up the original install. after around 30 mns and several phones my bb stopped working alltogether. i reset the the phone (battery pulled) worked for about 10 mns then the same again. Ive reloaded the original OS well until the weekend then well actually sit in the quite and reinstall the above OS.
    Ive learnt that i shouldnt try this when having people around!

PIN/ID
    256c5822

can i add, the OS does work perfectly but like anything you should allow time to do it.

it will take between 20-30 min to install. Patients is key. Just when you think nothing is happening and you have been waiting on a white screen, it finishes the install. It should go flawlessly, many have installed it without issues.

doughdaddy,

jblackfish here - I just finished downloading and installing 4.2.1.108, platform 2.3.0.85. It went without a hitch and I thank you again for the info! It's so new I don't have any idea what the benefits are but it's nice to have the latest upgrade and know how to do it.

One question left, stuart b wanted to download the T-mobile theme. I can do it from the instructions you listed for him but what am I missing? It all looks good to me - (I'm a T-Mobile user too.)

Thanks again for the great instructions - I can't add to your trust level any more until I "spread it around" but you'll get it when I can.

Later,
    jblackfish

If you are a T-mo user the theme is already unlocked. For stuart the BB is O2 and he wants T-mo so he needs to unlock it. You can follow my instructions and unlock others like the O2 theme or Verizons etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast