hi to you all. as you can see this is my first post on this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ic
    ic no está en línea Stack level 1

os version comparison

Advertisement

hi to you all.

as you can see this is my first post on this forum. i should be getting my pearl in from amazon later this week and have a few general questions.

there is a lot of talk here about the new os. could someone please compare the differences between the.42, .64, .69 and the most recent telefonica one (.79 i think). does BB officially publish the changes in the updated versions on their website or anywhere else?

the most serious problems i have heard about are:

1. sensitivity of a trackball when in a pocket
    2. phone stops ringing, receiving calls etc. have to take out the battery to reset.
    3. phone does not accept 2gb memory card

have the later versions taken care of the problem?

thank you in addition for your replies. have a good day.

ic

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: os version comparison

The original .42 version won't allow a 2gb card, the .64 will. The .64 "fixes" the thing that bothered people where if it rings in your pocket and you grab it and spin the trackball it stops the ringing and (I think) goes to your voicemail. That bugged people who didn't put it in the standby mode when they put it in their pocket. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with .42 if you put it in standby and it rings and you move the trackball, it will keep ringing.
    The .64 update will not allow you do disable the autodim backlight, which some users like to do. The .69 and telephonica updates are basically worthless from what I gather. They add nothing to the .64 update from tmobile. My advice is stick with what you get unless something bugs you or unless you really need a 2gb card for your music/video.

ic
    ic no está en línea Stack level 1

thank you for the quick response. is there a site that lists all the changes from the previous os versions, together with updated operating instructions?

does the 8100 come standard with .42 version or will it have the .64 version automatically installed? i ordered the phone 2 days ago.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Depending when amazon bought it from Tmo if they bought in the last week it shoud be updated but can't confirmed sorry....

Hope thsi helps

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3

I just installed the Telefone one or whatever (you can get the download link from another thread in this forum) and it's been working great. It also fixed some problems I've been having. I imagine that Cingular's OS version is excellent as well, as they are the most recent carrier to release the pearl.

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Quote Originally Posted by ic
    hi to you all.

as you can see this is my first post on this forum. i should be getting my pearl in from amazon later this week and have a few general questions.

there is a lot of talk here about the new os. could someone please compare the differences between the.42, .64, .69 and the most recent telefonica one (.79 i think). does BB officially publish the changes in the updated versions on their website or anywhere else?

the most serious problems i have heard about are:

1. sensitivity of a trackball when in a pocket
    2. phone stops ringing, receiving calls etc. have to take out the battery to reset.
    3. phone does not accept 2gb memory card

have the later versions taken care of the problem?

thank you in addition for your replies. have a good day.

ic
    The .69 update is the latest release and worth it. It fixed the number one bug for me, the delay when answering a call on my tmo 8100. Even when I paused for 2 seconds and then said hello nobody could hear me. this fixed it and I can talk immediately after hitting the answer key.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

sounds like all your questions were answered.

enjoy your new blackberry and welcome to pinstack