If you experience this problem, don't throw your BB out the window.. I've had two ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

OS Upgrade , stops at second last step "wait for device initialization"

Advertisement

If you experience this problem, don't throw your BB out the window..

I've had two OS upgrades now, and both stops at this point.

Simply,wait 20min for it to try make contact, if PC says: connecting to phone, and phone says: connecting to desktop take out the USB cable from the phone. Pull out the battery (don't turn the unit off by holding disconnect button). Place the battery back inn.

Power up the unit, when at the menu screen you can use your phone with factory settings.

To continue the process, connect the USB cabel and the apploader will finish the job and place the restore file on the phone..

This helped me, please don't take this for granted it will help you, if any problems arise I take no responsibility for that. Do this at your own risk. Consult a BB technican if you are unsure.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Re: OS Upgrade , stops at second last step "wait for device initialization"

Good info to know never heard of it happen to anyone but thanks trust level ^

, np. Maybe someone in the future will experience the same..

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Are you sure it stops or is it just running and you thought it had stopped?

Just curious, since the whole upgrade process is quite time consuming. Most just become impatient and unplugged the device because they think it's frozen, while in all actuality it's just doing it's job still.

Just be careful and patient. Not exactly sure what you're situation is as long as it worked though. Just keep in mind it you unplug the device while it's working it can cause corruption in the files and you will need to start the whole process over again.

true reddog. I was quite sure, I left it at that screen for aprox one and half hour.. it wasn't transfering any files. The only step it had left was to restore the phone from earlier created backup.

I could use the phone fine before backup restore, but all settings and info where gone.

Plugged the device back inn, and it continued the process of "upgrading".
    Seen from DM point of view the device was never gone, just slow ;p no error messages or anything..

javabrett no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: OS Upgrade , stops at second last step "wait for device initialization"

Thanks. My 8100 had the same problem updating to 4.2.1.164 (8100C_PBr4.2.1_rel164_PL2.3.0.80_A4.2.1.101_Telst ra.exe), I followed these steps and it worked fine.

glad to hear the post helped you! I myself had a very high pulse when doing my first OS upgrade and this happend

aaronwok no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,

Can someone help me with this please?

Problem:

My BB pearl 8100 can't start up. white screen with hour glass running, then turns off, and red light on top right corner on for about 2 seconds, then white screen with hour glass again. it does this forever if it last forever.

what i did....

-I tried to use JL_Cmder to format it, wipe, reset to manufacture.....nothing happended.
    -Download new OS from T-mobile, deleted vendor file, and tried to have it upgrade...at the second step "wait for device initialization" it failed.

please help me or this BB will be out of my window very soon.....thanks

this is regarding the last step (in OS upgrade) of wait for device initialization, the first one is way more vital. Your phone seems throwable, hope you still got warranty on it

whallify no está en línea Stack level 1

This *almost* helped me

I was sitting waiting at the "Wait for device initialization" arrow during my 8700c upgrade from 4.2.something (I think... might have been 4.1) to 4.5 and decided to google.

Found this thread and considered pulling the USB cable.

I ended up waiting another 15 minutes and it DID get to the next step of "restore device data" and I'm very glad I waited.

Just thought I'd add this in case others google and wonder if it affects the 4.5 upgrade as well.

I'd say it was a 35min wait on that step.

8700C
    PC running Vista SP1, Dual-core 2Ghz w/3GB ram

itsrichduh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25476af4
    what i did was left a little marker on the status bar.. since it didnt look like it was moving at all..

i then noticed 5 mins later that it was indeed moving.. hence still doing stuff.. just be patient
    Aim: Richsidekickinit
    PIN: 250DE7B9
    YIM: itsrichduh