I don't exactly know what is possible when they release new OS for the 8100. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tecrishon no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    Retired

OS Upgrade Possibilities?

Advertisement

I don't exactly know what is possible when they release new OS for the 8100. I have seen in several threads about people saying "Well Maybe on the Next OS release."

What all is possible that could be add capability-wise to the Pearl? I'm basically wondering what more things I could do (MAYBE, EVENTUALLY) or what I will have to wait for on a new Blackberry.

For example:

1. Is it possible for them to add A2DP capability for a bluetooth headset for the pearl?

2. Is it possible to add video recording to the camera for the pearl?

3. Is it possible to eventual watch embedded video from websites with an update? (like YouTube...)

4. Is it possible that they could add the ability to have playlists/random play from the media player? (someone asked this in another thread)

Again, I have no idea what is possible with changes in OS. These are the questions I thought have that I would like to see, but don't know if they are even feasible.

Anyone who knows more about this subject that could add some insight?

THANKS!

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: OS Upgrade Possibilities?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I don't think anybody will know until we put it on the pearl and try it...

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Since i'm using the O2 OS, I have no problems with it.

The only problem that I had with the original Tmo OS was the 1gb microSD card limit. I have a seidio case, so the ringer problem wasn't really a problem. And as for the auto-dim feature being mandatory in the O2 OS, I kept it on when I had the Tmo OS anyway, so no big deal.

What I WOULD like to see in the new OS though, is the ability for media controls while the phone is "sleeping"...such as when i put it in my seidio case facing outwards. Right now, I have to put it in upside down in the case to keep it from sleeping so i can still skip tracks and whatever.

But i doubt they are going to be adding any new "features" with the next OS...it's more important to work out the bugs first before introducing features that would create more bugs.

devenyi no está en línea Stack level 1

I feel useless.

How do I get the new OS. I know I go to BB Downloads, then Blackberry Software... then what?

Thanks for your help

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

i'm actually afraid of posting the exact steps needed to "replace" the T-mobile OS.

Please remember that the people who are replacing their T-mobile OS with Rogers or O2 OS are risking warranty and support denial because there is no update. It's just that the other OS's are more up to date than the T-mo one..but it is NOT an update.

I feel that if you're unsure of what you are doing or if you don't want to risk denial of support or warranty, don't do it...it's not recommended.

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

There are a lot of threads about the bugs/glitches with putting a Rogers onto a Tmobile...it's quite extensive. >< I tried the Rogers on my Tmobile since it seemed to work fine for other people but I personally didn't like it. It didn't feel stable enough for me, and had a lag when moving through menus and icons. Try a search though, steps for installing the OS are posted in replies as well.

As far as the new OS wishes, that sounds like a nice list, but I don't mind what it has now. =)

X Factor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204AEE68

Quote Originally Posted by tecrishon
    3. Is it possible to eventual watch embedded video from websites with an update? (like YouTube...)
    This, I believe is a hrdware thing. The phone MIGHT be able to, but I personally have no idea. From what I understand though, is that the processor in the phone would be heavily bogged down by streaming anything, especially video. So from my personal opinion (could be very wrong), it didnt sound like the phone would be able to, at least with video.

Quote Originally Posted by tecrishon
    4. Is it possible that they could add the ability to have playlists/random play from the media player? (someone asked this in another thread)
    The media player already has this. When you are in your "Music" folder, hit the menu button, select "Play All" and then hit the menu button again, and select "Shuffle."

As for the Playlist, make a folder, put the songs you want in it, go into your "Music" folder, Open the folder you made with your playlist songs in it, and select "Play Folder." That will play the songs you put in that folder, and again, hit menu and select shuffle if you want random play.

Hope that helps a little!
    My music is so loud, i'm swinging.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Just a note to posts regarding denial of support/warranty by loading another carriers OS on your BB. Its not that your carrier would deny you support, they just may not have the information you need as they may not know the cosmetic differences between versions. However they can and will patch your through to RIM for this type of support should you need it. And of course if we can't help you through your problem .
    Also, there is no reason whatsoever for them to void your warranty because you load another carriers OS to your blackberry, providing you load an OS that your BB can support. If they attempt to, FIGHT IT!
    I'm no lawyer, but ultimately the warranty of your BB falls in the lap of RIM, not your carrier. If you load another carriers OS, RIM is the author, not your carrier, so the onus is on them.
    Keep this in mind. If you don't feel confident in doing this, or have any apprehension, DON'T LOAD it! If you try, and have issues, come see us. There are plenty top notch support people here to help!
    Hope this helps somewhat.

tecrishon no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor
    This, I believe is a hrdware thing. The phone MIGHT be able to, but I personally have no idea. From what I understand though, is that the processor in the phone would be heavily bogged down by streaming anything, especially video. So from my personal opinion (could be very wrong), it didnt sound like the phone would be able to, at least with video.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor
    The media player already has this. When you are in your "Music" folder, hit the menu button, select "Play All" and then hit the menu button again, and select "Shuffle."

As for the Playlist, make a folder, put the songs you want in it, go into your "Music" folder, Open the folder you made with your playlist songs in it, and select "Play Folder." That will play the songs you put in that folder, and again, hit menu and select shuffle if you want random play.

Hope that helps a little!
    thank you!! as relating to the media player question - i did not know that, so that helps a lot!!!!

relating to your responses in general -- these were the kind of answers i was looking for. you're the first person who answered them (even if it was some) for me. THANK YOU!!

my questions are if these things are EVER POSSIBLE. thats what i'm wondering, b/c i don't know enough about OS's to know.

thanks again!

enderokc no está en línea Stack level 2

all of these things are possible, its weather or not T-Mobile decides to add them. I hope they do!!

X Factor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204AEE68

Well, in response to the first two questions (I dont know why I didnt just cover them as well), I believe both of them will be available in the future, but nobody knows when. The Pearl has capability for both, but the software is the only thing holding it back.

Someday there will (cross your fingers) be OS updates and hopefully we'll be able to record video and use all types of bluetooth headphones/headsets.

I guess I really didnt answer on these because i'm not very sure, they are both very much speculation. So keep the fingers crossed on those two.
    My music is so loud, i'm swinging.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I would like to add something to Toddboy's post. Any newer version of the OS for a specific handheld is an update. It may not be a specific carriers update, but it is an update, because the OS is created by RIM, not the carriers. All the carriers do is specify cerain options and limitations to RIM, then test what RIM gives them to ensure compatability with their network.

I think Rim does a pretty good job of making sure that all minor versions of a given Major version will operate on most networks of a given protocol. How else would Roaming work either, nationally, or Internationally.

Just my thoughts on this
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

every blackberry i have came from roger. I got them all off ebay. i unlocked them before doing anything else. than after that i upgraded with congular updates which render the phone full featured since it is unlocked.