just updated to DM 5.0 and found there is a newer phone OS than what ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Brandxman no está en línea Stack level 2

Question OS update with DM 5.0

Advertisement

just updated to DM 5.0 and found there is a newer phone OS than what i have currently. I would like to update to the most current BB OS, but DM 5.0 doesnt think I have it installed on my computer. anyone else have this problem? is there a solution?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Silly question, perhaps, but do you have it installed on your computer?

If you do have it installed and it is from another carrier, have you deleted the vendor.xml file from?:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader

You can also circumvent the DM altogether and launch the Application Loader directly from the above folder by double-clicking on the Loader executable. You'll recognize it by the little phone icon next to it.

Post back if you have more questions.

Roger

kyleresq no está en línea Stack level 3
    I actually did a bunch of OS updates with 5.0 and in every single one I had to use the apploader directly from My Computer instead of using DM. I don't know if anyone else noticed this or had an issue with it and I forgot to post it but it is strange...

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Brandx, You probably know this too but when you install a new DM it somehow wipes out all the installed device OS's on your p-c, at least it always has done that to me. (Sounds like you're past that issue anyway if you're using the apploader to install to your BB.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

JB, in my experience it uninstalled the OS, when I uninstalled the Desktop Manager, not when I installed a new version.

I haven't used 5.0 to do an upgrade yet, so I can't really comment on that, Kyle. Thanks for the heads up.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    I haven't used 5.0 to do an upgrade yet, so I can't really comment on that, Kyle. Thanks for the heads up.
    I think you're right, Roger. I guess it's because I always uninstall the one I'm getting rid of before a new installa and forgot at what point the OS goes away - thanks for clarifying that.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I think the issue is the same as with DM 4.7, it knows your vendor ID and checks automatically for updates. Even if you delete the vendor .xml it often won't update unless you disconnect your internet connection before you hook your BB to the DM or do like kyleresq said and go straight to the folder with the app loader and skip using the DM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

I thought I read somewhere that 5.0 would actually show you which OS's you had on your computer and allow you to choose which one to upgrade/downgrade to.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    You can also circumvent the DM altogether and launch the Application Loader directly from the above folder by double-clicking on the Loader executable. You'll recognize it by the little phone icon next to it.
    Roger
    That just helped me out, thanks. I have BBDM 5.0 and it seems to not want to update the OS properly :-/

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3

If you do have it installed and it is from another carrier, have you deleted the vendor.xml file from?:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader

Post back if you have more questions.

Roger
    Helped me too, thanks!
    Andy