Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know what the new release date is yet? I know it was suppose ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ironzeppelin04 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask me=)

OS 4.5 for ATT

Advertisement

Does anyone know what the new release date is yet? I know it was suppose to come out mid September, and a few CS reps at ATT didn't seem to even know they were coming out with one.
    As we all know.... What Goes Around, Comes Around

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    Haven't heard of a date yet. The other carriers 4.5 works just fine. -Ive loaded every release so far with no issues. Up to the .80's already.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    I was going to upload to another one, but I think ATT is suppose to be a .93 if I heard (read) correctly. I also heard that updating could take up to an hour so I figure I would wait for that OS so that I dont update it and then want to update again a week or two later....
    BUT I do need to do something as I only have 4.3.0.91=(

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ironzeppelin04 View Post
    Does anyone know what the new release date is yet?
    I do not know, however I am going to wait, as it will not be much longer. And even though others will work (I'm using the Vodafone version on my other Curve) I prefer to keep one of my BlackBerrys on the proprietary AT&T OS.

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    (I'm using the Vodafone version on my other Curve) I prefer to keep one of my BlackBerrys on the proprietary AT&T OS.
    Yeah that's another question I have, Do you know if it voids any warranty loading a different "carriers" OS?

("carriers" is quoted b/c Im not sure if they actually own any rights to the OS or if RIM owns it all)
    Last edited by ironzeppelin04; 10-12-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Yeah that's another question I have, Do you know if it voids any warranty loading a different "carriers" OS?

("carriers" is quoted b/c Im not sure if they actually own any rights to the OS or if RIM owns it all)
    Technically yes, the carriers are not happy when you load an OS that is not "approved by AT&T" using AT&T as an example. If your phone crashes so bad that you must send it back because you cannot fix it and they find another OS on it, you are out of luck.

Another reason it's generally a good idea to use only the OS version that is supplied by your carrier, is that you are assured that if you do have a problem it's not related. Now, for more experienced users or those who simply do not care, many people choose to "upgrade". however just because it's a newer OS, does not always mean it's better. Before I upgrade any software I first research it to see what's new, then I ask myself "do I really need / or want this?" Is it worth all the time and effort to make the change. But before I make the change I be sure to read the reports of problems users are having and ask myself if I want to deal with that. If do I proceed, if not I don't. Why fix it if it's not broken? If your BB is working well, why mess with it?

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Yeah, thanks, I figured they would....
    and hear that (the part about why fix it if its broken). I trouble shoot networks, and I'm always telling people not update firmware unless they know they need it!

thanks again!!!

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I updated to 4.5 even though I'm on att I wasn't that impressed so I reverted back, when it comes out ill upgrade but I'm in no hurry

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    I upgraded my Cingular 8800 to OS 4.5.0.81 and love it!

Here's a short list of some of the reasons I didn't go back to an older OS:
    • Support for 16Gb SD Card
    • Stereo Bluetooth (unconfirmed)
    • "HTML" email
    • Playlist support (create and view)
    • Better Theme support (Today +)
    • Documents to Go SE
      (Support for Word, Excel, PowerPoint viewing & editing - can "create" new docs by copying blank ones)
    • ONE OS for ALL Language Support
      (no more hunting for an OS with specific language support)

Sorry, but there is a LOT to be impressed with! And I'm sure there's more than what I've listed above.

One thing I did discover is that if you have any corrupt files on your SD card, the OS will constantly reboot. I recommend upgrading without the SD card, then if it starts rebooting once you put it in, make a backup copy of everything on it and reformat it on the BlackBerry and slowly copy files back on. A corrupt JPG was the culprit for me.

As noted above OS 4.5 should be released by AT&T this month
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    I upgraded my Cingular 8800 to OS 4.5.0.81 and love it!

Here's a short list of some of the reasons I didn't go back to an older OS:
    • Support for 16Gb SD Card
    • Stereo Bluetooth (unconfirmed)
    • "HTML" email
    • Playlist support (create and view)
    • Better Theme support (Today +)
    • Documents to Go SE
      (Support for Word, Excel, PowerPoint viewing & editing - can "create" new docs by copying blank ones)
    • ONE OS for ALL Language Support
      (no more hunting for an OS with specific language support)

Sorry, but there is a LOT to be impressed with! And I'm sure there's more than what I've listed above.

One thing I did discover is that if you have any corrupt files on your SD card, the OS will constantly reboot. I recommend upgrading without the SD card, then if it starts rebooting once you put it in, make a backup copy of everything on it and reformat it on the BlackBerry and slowly copy files back on. A corrupt JPG was the culprit for me.

As noted above OS 4.5 should be released by AT&T this month
    I agree 100 percent. And everything seems to launch faster.

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~they are being released one at a time between late oct-early nov.

Ash07 no está en línea Stack level 3

Yea but then you can always just downgrade to which ever OS atnt is up to right now and send it in if your phone is not that messed up.. then they cant find out you upgraded to a different OS just send it in and wait till they send you your new BB

im on ATT and i think it was worth it to upgrade rather then waiting so long for the offical for att to come out.. which seems to be taking forever.. there's video recorder, voice notes, better browsing, docs to go , bEtter THemes ofcourse and overall just better....i hope they just release the dam OS quick
    Last edited by Ash07; 10-14-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Installed OS 4.5.0.81 on one of my AT&T 8310's then did a side by side comparison with my original 8310 running 4.2.2.170. Speed of opening apps is nearly the same, with 4.5 being marginally faster. Other new features are nice if you need them, I don't. So I rolled it back to 4.2.2.170, as I've used that OS for a year with perfect reliability which is of ultimate importance to me. I'm not suggesting that 4.5 isn't, it's just that I like 4.2 for it's smaller footprint. No sense in running an OS with more features than I will use.

PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    I guess I'm one of the few that finds it a big plus to be able to add birthdays and anniversarys to a contact and have them auto populate the calender with a reminder. Just like the palm software. Can't do that on 4.2

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Fritzdoss, I would agree with you that that is a very big plus!!!
    The reason I haven't updated is because I know that I am going to eventually and would like to have the latest one (which will be ATT when it comes out) but I do not want to spend a lot of time to keep upgrading it....

jdellasala, Thank you so much for posting the upgrades, that is most amount of changes I have seen in one spot... lol!

Everyone else... Thanks for your opinions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast