Does opera mini always take so long to load? From the time I click on ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Bananafish no está en línea Stack level 1

opera mini load time

Advertisement

Does opera mini always take so long to load? From the time I click on the application to the time it finally starts up, a good 45 seconds goes by. I'm used to win mobile and the start up on those phones is almost instantaneous.thanks in advance.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Welcome to Pinstack. Thanks for joining.

Re Your Question: Who's your carrier and what level of signal do you have. Load time is conditional on a lot of different factors. Would you update your Profile so we can reply with a little more info in the future?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Sorry, I'm with Fido in Canada. Same as the Rogers network and the signal is always very good. The pages load quickly; I'm actually talking about the application itself. I should have said 'opera mini start up time'...

Thanks!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It's hard for me to know what is normal load time for the program - I am using wi-fi with the 8320 and the browser loads in about 5 seconds. It was slower when I loaded it without wi-fi but, since I don't get GPRS at home, I can't do a comparison.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Something doesn't seem right. I just loaded Opera Mini in under 5 seconds on EDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Something doesn't seem right. I just loaded Opera Mini in under 5 seconds on EDGE.
    I agree. Even when I was able to load it using GPRS, I don't think it took 45 seconds. Of course, browsing was SO BAD using GPRS that it didn't (50% of the time) ever complete the loads of anything. That's why my wi-fi is on all the time at home. It's great!...even with the occasional dropped calls.

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad I decided to pose the question; I was prepared to accept it as how it is.

It's really strange - I click on the icon, and the appears to do nothing for a long while. I can't access other applications during this time, nor can I move the trackball. Finally, opera mini will go to the splash screen and boot up. I've tried wifi and edge with the same results, though it really is an application level problem so wouldn't expect the network to be the cause. Just for the record, blackberry browser boots up immediately without lag.

Guffeh no está en línea Stack level 1
    Bananafish, I had the same issue as you with my 8120 (on T-mobile network & EDGE) tried on Wifi too, same results. The pearl ITSELF is seemingly lagging a bit (when loading certain applications) .

EDIT: found out why. Easy fix.

On your Pearl, "shut down" any apps you aren't currently using. AKA hit ALT + Back Key to bring up the list, select the app, and hit back until you get to the main screen. repeat for the rest that are still there. As a note: Home screen, browser, BB messanger, call log, messages cannot be "shut down" they always run.

After doing that, I got the same results as posted, about 5 seconds for opera to load up fully.
    Last edited by Guffeh; 04-21-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks for the tip. I shut down the only app I was running and tried again. Timed the startup at 30 seconds. Better, but seems long still. I may just reinstall or wait for 4.1 to come out of beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananafish View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I shut down the only app I was running and tried again. Timed the startup at 30 seconds. Better, but seems long still. I may just reinstall or wait for 4.1 to come out of beta.
    Banana,

I agree with Erica - something sounds wrong with your situation.

Which BB are you using and how much free memory do you have? (Options: Status and look at "file free" for your free memory - it varies greatly depending on your BB)

I don't know which BB you're using but try these steps to see if they help - it shouldn't hurt to try if you haven't already.

- Clear your cache. (go to your BB browser, click menu: options: cache operations, clear cache)

- Clear your log. (from the home screen, press and hold ALT and press L, G, L, G, your log will appear, press menu, clear log)

Then reset your BB. Either do a battery pull and replace and let it re-boot or a better way is:

go to:

http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/

and download "Soft Reset" program to reset BB without having to do a battery pull.

See if any of that helps and post back.

FYI, I've used Opera 4.0 and am now using 4.1 (which I think is a LITTLE faster) but either should function for you faster than they are currently. Good luck.

Hey, I have the 8120. I have about 10mb free on a clean boot, and regularly clean up my memory. I will give it another try with a battery pull, but it's sounding more and more like an isolated problem on my end. Worst case I will ininstall and try again. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananafish View Post
    Hey, I have the 8120. I have about 10mb free on a clean boot, and regularly clean up my memory. I will give it another try with a battery pull, but it's sounding more and more like an isolated problem on my end. Worst case I will ininstall and try again. Thanks for everyone's replies.
    10 mb should be enough memory. Do you run many applications at one time?

Just for comparison, I have the 8320 (also wi-fi) and I normally have 15+mb of free memory...which seems to be "average" for the 8320. I don't run a lot of applications at once either though, usually 2-3 at a time.

Can a few of you other 8120 users verify that 10mb is adequate for the 8120 AND Opera use?

Guffeh no está en línea Stack level 1
    I use an 8120, 1 week out of the box starting tomorrow. 12mb free, loaded Opera Mini 4.1, (with no other apps open) in 5 seconds. Sometimes it takes 6-7. Before, with like 3-4 apps open, it would take nearly 30 seconds.

Might try taking Opera Mini 4.0 off, and reloading Opera Mini 4.1, resetting phone, then trying again. (I work for T-mobile tech, so I'm used to t-shooting these issues if that helps any)

Thanks for the tip. I think that's what I'll try this weekend. I will report back just in case there's someone out there with the same problem.

Ok, I installed 4.1 and am still having the same startup lag. I'm throwing in the towel. Thanks for everyone's patience but it is what it is
    (until the next rom upgrade).

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~