I'm considering getting a BB Pearl (vs an 8700), but am concerned that the Suretype ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Argelius no está en línea Stack level 2

Online Suretype simulator?

Advertisement

I'm considering getting a BB Pearl (vs an 8700), but am concerned that the Suretype thing will bug the sh&^ out of me.

Everytime I go to my T-Mo store, they only have dummy (nonfunctional) ones for display, so I cant really get a feel for the SureType.

Can anyone point me to an online SureType demo or simulation?

Thanks.

jpodraza no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    202B98F9

Re: Online Suretype simulator?

I can't point you to a demo, but I can endose the SureType. I switched from a 6210 to a 7100g and was worried liked you that it would bug me. I love it. I all I do is worry about spelling the word right and hitting those keys and the technology works.

you may want to swing by a cingula store and test out the 7130 as they usually has working demo units.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff
    BlackBerry 7100g
    New Pin -->> 202B98F9

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    I'm considering getting a BB Pearl (vs an 8700), but am concerned that the Suretype thing will bug the sh&^ out of me.

Everytime I go to my T-Mo store, they only have dummy (nonfunctional) ones for display, so I cant really get a feel for the SureType.

Can anyone point me to an online SureType demo or simulation?

Thanks.
    If you are contemplating a T-Mo Pearl, remember that they have a no-questions-asked return policy. I can't recall the number of days it is, 7 to 20, or something in between.

You can try it out and just return it if you don't like the SureType.

P.s. Once you get your hands on it, you will not want to return it. The Pearl's siren song is very seductive and you will become its love slave once you play with it a few days.

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

Hey,
    I guess I posted prematurely. After some more forum surfing, I found this: http://www.discoverblackberry.com/suretypedemo/

Getting ready to play with it.

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

tmo is a 14 day return before comitment to contract...i can tell you both the 8700 and the 7130 are very good...the suretype is not hard to use...it just takes a few minutes to get used to the keys...go to a cingular store and try it out...but it has to be a REAL cingular store a corporate store

Thanks, all, for your assistance!

My story, for anyone who is listening is this:

I'm a serious gadget addict. I'm embarssingly promiscuous when it comes to cell phones. I had a Palm Treo 650 for about 2 years which for me is like an alcoholic sipping from the same bottle of wine for 2 weeks. From there I switched to Windows Mobile hp 6915 (which I bought on ebay as an unlocked UK model). Was moderately satisfied with it even though I had to reset it about twice a day). Unfortunately, two days ago I forgot I had it in my back pocket and sat on it, breaking the LCD screen.

For most people, this would be a tragic event. For me, I was met with a moment of excitement realizing this meant I had an opportunity to try a new gadget.

So, I've pretty much narrowed things down to the Pearl or the 8700. While I find a camera occasionally useful, that's way down on my list of must-haves.

I'm guessing I'll end up going with the 8700, but need to check out the pearl.

My other plan is to get an unlocked Treo. As much as I need to constantly play with new gadgets, the Treo really was a very, very good phone/pda.

The biggest thing for me making me question going with a BB is its PDA functionality. As much as I want my phone to send email and surf the web, I also rely on it to view my calendar and contacts info. My sense is that BB's PDA functions will be step back from Palm and/or Windows Mobile.

Ah, life is filled with so many difficult decisions....

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

I've had a treo (admittedly an old one.. Treo 180). Although these pda phones will have a wider variety of software, I can assure you BB's have pim functionality which as good as a full fetched pda. I find my self using the calendar, todo, notes, etc. More on my current blackberry than I did on any of my pda's. I think this is due to blackberry's easy to use interface. It is easier for me to scroll through the menu and select menu items than to use a stylus.

I feel blackberrya are the cream of the crop when it comes to convergence of the pda and cell phone. Just give it a try.

BReady

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bbmike no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23A4788C

Well, I can tell you the number of devices I've had over the past 2 years, it's embarassing. Blackberry 7250, 7290 (same device with different suppliers), Blackberry 7130, Treo 650, Motorola Q, and now the Pearl. I like it. It's design is very sleek. I love the 'push mail' option. I don't have entreprise activation at work, so the BB is the your best bet so you can use BIS. That's why Palm and Windows device don't do it for me. The Pearl performs very well with clear phone sound and steady OS. My beef is with sure type. I can't get my head around it. I used to have the 7130 and that lasted about 4 weeks or so. I'll say 20 % of the time I have to correct type 'o' s the system missed. That rarely happens with a full QWERTY. I'm realizing this may be the dominant feature for me. Since the 8800 is still 6 months or so away...I may go for an 8700. To be continued.....
    PIN anytime: 23A4788C

Using Torch on Telus in Canada.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

or you can wait for the 8800

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    or you can wait for the 8800
    Oh, how much easier my decision would be if the 8800 was out now! Alas, since I always have to have the newest and greatest, I'm sure I'll end up with one of those eventually.

Gotta get to a TMo or Cingular store to try out Suretype. Was hoping there would be a real online simulator (rather than the demonstration in the link above). Since my last 3 phones have been QWERTY, I'm afraid the SureType will feel like a major step back. (I'm sure if you were used to using T9, the SureType is a major step forward...)

bwgregg no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C26A9

Trying it out in the store is good for getting a feel for how it works but to decide whether or not it's for you I'd suggest getting the phone and using it regularly for a few days. Then if you don't like it you can take advantage of the no-questions return period. It took me about a week of regular use before I got comfortable with suretype but now I'm just as comfortable with it as I am a regular QWERTY keyboard.

5ive no está en línea Stack level 2

Here is a realllllly good simulator that i used before i got a pearl...does everything the real pearl does...

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...897474079C1477
    choose v4.2

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Thanks, all, for your assistance!

My story, for anyone who is listening is this:

I'm a serious gadget addict. I'm embarssingly promiscuous when it comes to cell phones. I had a Palm Treo 650 for about 2 years which for me is like an alcoholic sipping from the same bottle of wine for 2 weeks. From there I switched to Windows Mobile hp 6915 (which I bought on ebay as an unlocked UK model). Was moderately satisfied with it even though I had to reset it about twice a day). Unfortunately, two days ago I forgot I had it in my back pocket and sat on it, breaking the LCD screen.

For most people, this would be a tragic event. For me, I was met with a moment of excitement realizing this meant I had an opportunity to try a new gadget.

So, I've pretty much narrowed things down to the Pearl or the 8700. While I find a camera occasionally useful, that's way down on my list of must-haves.

I'm guessing I'll end up going with the 8700, but need to check out the pearl.

My other plan is to get an unlocked Treo. As much as I need to constantly play with new gadgets, the Treo really was a very, very good phone/pda.

The biggest thing for me making me question going with a BB is its PDA functionality. As much as I want my phone to send email and surf the web, I also rely on it to view my calendar and contacts info. My sense is that BB's PDA functions will be step back from Palm and/or Windows Mobile.

Ah, life is filled with so many difficult decisions....
    I've gone from QWERTY to SureType and had the same reservations you do. You'll not mind the SureType once you get going with it. If you type like you would with the QWERTY the SureType does the rest. There are a few little quarks with the SureType like a few words having hte same keystrokes. "Are" and "see" use the same keystrokes and you have to choose which word you would like to use. Fat and Day are the same way. Before I realized the wrong word was coming up I told a lot of people to "Have a nice fat." Oops. It's very quick and easy though and I find it helps me not make as many spelling errors.