Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I don't really understand the pin is data thing? but no I'm not worried bout ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

shayne63 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20E0D453

Re: Okay...I AM blonde...so be kind!

Advertisement

I don't really understand the pin is data thing? but no I'm not worried bout that just don't want people im'n me everysecond especially if I don't want to talk. I think that would be annoying. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Remember that only members of PinStack can see the Profiles or the PINs associated with poster's information. If you put it in the body of the posts it CAN be seen. Not if guests can see signatures or not. I'll check, next time I get on the PC. If I don't have a senior moment

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3

You guys are hitting it on the head. What I was trying to tell SweetPoison is that if she's using the standard AIM/Yahoo messenger that comes with the Blackberry, she could be racking up SMS message charges. SP, if you have an unlimited SMS plan, then its not an issue. All depends on your plan and your carrier.

The thread started with comments about the Blackberry Messenger, which is PIN to PIN, and does not use SMS, so its free. The only drawback is giving out the PIN...which is a personal decision. I'd probably be inclined to not make it public myself.

The other alternative is the "free" messengers like JiveTalk and IM+. By "free", I mean that they use your data plan, not SMS. The messengers themselves have a one-time cost, like $20-$30. JiveTalk and IM+ use AIM/Yahoo, etc. screen names, not the Blackberry PIN. I'm using a trial of JiveTalk now for AIM and Yahoo and I think I'll buy it shortly...

SweetPoison~ no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by richmo58
    Do you mean that you didn't have to download anything to use AIM/Yahoo on your Blackberry??

On mine (T-Mobile) a messenger program was pre-installed on the device, but it uses SMS so I would get messaging charges for each IM I sent. Maybe you don't have that...

Well ~ I may not be explaining this well ~ I have AT&T ( cingular ) and I pay for unlimited internet access, which incl texting ~ so then I went to AOL and Yahoo and registered my mobile number and ....well there ya go!

I'm using a trial of JiveTalk now for AIM and Yahoo and I think I'll buy it shortly...

Okay, Rich ~ I think I am getting this now ~ actually, pehaps not ~ totally lost my train of thought here dagnabit! Tell me about Jive Talk...how much is it? I pay for unlimited internet access so I can text and IM thru AOL and Yahoo...I specifically made sure we were on the same page re this issue ~ I have 450 anytime min, as I use my work cell for calls and 5000 weekend min, unlimited internet access which incl texting....and min roll over next month ~

at least it better be ~ or I will be so in there face! And you are right, I do use SMS....what is that anyways? What does it stand for?
    Last edited by SweetPoison~; 06-12-2007 at 10:20 AM.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

SMS stands for Short Message Service. A lot of people call it text messaging, because it only allows the use of tezt characters.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

Thanks, Rich ~ what else is there beside "text characters"....?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Binary data, formated text or anythig else that is not meant to be interpreted as unformated Ascii text.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

SP, sorry if I've confused you. All these messaging options are confusing.

From what you say, I guess you have a plan that has unlimited texting...which is SMS (short message service). An unlimited internet plan does not necessarily imply unlimited texting. Texting is usually a separate charge. Most carriers charge you an amount for a certain number of messages per month if you have a texting plan, or per message (usually 10 or 15 cents per message) if you don't have a texting plan.

In my case, I have no Instant Messaging plan, so I would have to pay the per message cost for each message I send using the IM provided with the Pearl thru T-Mobile. To get around that, I use JiveTalk, which lets me send messages using the internet portion of my plan, which is unlimited.

If you truly do have unlimted texting in addition to your unlimited internet, you likely won't need Jive Talk or equivalent. I need Jive Talk since I don't want to pay additional messaging charges.

Now I've probably really confused you!...

Oops...forgot to answer your question about Jive Talk. There's a one time $20 charge for your device. You can also get a $30 version that lets you move it to another device (like if you get a new Blackberry for any reason).

SP, sorry if I've confused you. All these messaging options are confusing.

From what you say, I guess you have a plan that has unlimited texting...which is SMS (short message service). An unlimited internet plan does not necessarily imply unlimited texting. Texting is usually a separate charge. Most carriers charge you an amount for a certain number of messages per month if you have a texting plan, or per message (usually 10 or 15 cents per message) if you don't have a texting plan.

In my case, I have no Instant Messaging plan, so I would have to pay the per message cost for each message I send using the IM provided with the Pearl thru T-Mobile. To get around that, I use JiveTalk, which lets me send messages using the internet portion of my plan, which is unlimited.

If you truly do have unlimted texting in addition to your unlimited internet, you likely won't need Jive Talk or equivalent. I need Jive Talk since I don't want to pay additional messaging charges.

Now I've probably really confused you!...

No No..Rich I got it! I may be blonde....no comment...! I got your pm too I am not confused! Since I have your undivided attention and you are on line...and it is my thread ~ lol!....can I ask you something else? My turn to confuse you!

okay ~

I was on this other thread and someone wants their track ball to light up dif colors when a call pops in...and I followed the directions...and I do have the 8100....and I have no option for a color trackball........The only option I have is on or off, man!

I want it I want it, Rich!!

Lol!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

sp what app are you in when you hit menu then options.
    you need to hi tthe call button, AKA phone app.
    then hit menu then options, general options, at the bottom of the list is ringtone lighting.
    mine can change from off to trackball. is yours not the same?
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Quote Originally Posted by kayos72
    sp what app are you in when you hit menu then options.
    you need to hi tthe call button, AKA phone app.
    then hit menu then options, general options, at the bottom of the list is ringtone lighting.
    mine can change from off to trackball. is yours not the same?

Yes, Kay...I am re-doing this now...yes...! Okay...mine does that too, but there is no color option?....am I missing something? lol!

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rl_change.html

See, Kay check this out ~ they say that there should be a color option?

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

no they are talking about the app colorpearl!!!! thats the confusion, 1 person is talking about an app I'm talking about the built in one that makes the pearl dance when a call is recieved.

without the app, do what my directions are. it will dance diff colors when a call is recieved
    change rintone lightone lighting to "trackball", there will be no color option.

I see where the thread went haywire

let me know if this makes sense
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast