I'm looking for an office-type application that will open Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and text files. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Mhaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

Office application? RSS Feeds?

Advertisement

I'm looking for an office-type application that will open Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and text files. Actually, just text files would be sufficient, but Office documents would just be a bonus. Is there something like this available (and free)?

Additionally, I have a bunch of news / gaming / blog sites that I frequent, and as I'm with Rogers, I can't afford a data plan, heh. Is there an app that will download RSS feeds from a variety of sites that I can sync up for the morning commute via a USB cable?

Thanks!

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Office application? RSS Feeds?

your bb has the ability to open the office apps it just won't let you edit them, eoffice is a great app for opening and editing but it is not free

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

But without the BlackBerry Data Plan you won't be able to get Office files onto your BlackBerry.

As for RSS, again, BlackBerry Data Plan.

Aside from posting the info into Notes in Outlook then syncing, I think you'll be stuck.

I'm with Rogers as well, and they do actually have some more affordable BlackBerry Data Plans now, though not readily advertised.

I don't know what your budget is, but I have 350 day minutes, free evenings and weekends (6 pm - 8 am), and 50 MB of data for $100.

There are other non-advertised plans available. You'll have to visit a trusted dealer or call Rogers.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

But without the BlackBerry Data Plan you won't be able to get Office files onto your BlackBerry.

Cant you always copy them to your MicroSD card from a PC and open them from there thru the explore menus ?

Mhaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    Honestly? There is no way to transfer these files via USB or over the microSD slot as rkkeller mentioned?
    As for RSS, again, BlackBerry Data Plan.
    Aside from posting the info into Notes in Outlook then syncing, I think you'll be stuck.
    Grrr… no offline RSS support?
    I'm with Rogers as well, and they do actually have some more affordable BlackBerry Data Plans now, though not readily advertised.
    I don't know what your budget is, but I have 350 day minutes, free evenings and weekends (6 pm - 8 am), and 50 MB of data for $100.
    There are other non-advertised plans available. You'll have to visit a trusted dealer or call Rogers.
    Right now I have 200 day minutes, free evenings and weekends (8-8), caller ID, voice mail and a 125 text messaging plan for $35 a month (comes up to $45 ish with the fees + taxes). An extra ~$60 seems pretty steep for the additional perks of your plan, though definitely the most prudent choice, given what I've seen. Do you have caller ID or voice mail as well?

The closest plan that I've seen to what you have is available here - the $95, though its evenings start at 8pm and not 6pm.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

I don't have voicemail. Caller ID I do have, and it's extra.

Those plans are listed as starting at 8 pm for evenings however, there is a not-listed $5 add-on to get 6 pm evenings.

The ability to open Office files (.doc, .xls, .pdf) is a function of the BIS service, not the BlackBerry itself.

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

If you get a BB data plan, pico news is a great rss feeder. You can find information on it, as well as a download at www.piconews.com. Yes, pico news is free.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Dang, in the US, or a non Rogers user...voicemail comes free with your service. I pay just $19.99 more on my plan for (unlimited data via t-mobile)

T-mobile is worldwide. DO they not offer service in Canada?

starwatcher no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20542F84

I wish T-Mobile was in Canada. I pay $60 a month for 25MB of data. Highway robery.

By the way, as I am with Rogers, do I need them to activate something to get the ability to open and view word documents. I have been able to view PDFs but word documents do not give me the choice to read them.

thanks,
    Allan