Hi I’ve searched a few forums and not found the answer I was looking for; ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cottoneye no está en línea Stack level 1

O2 UK > T-Mobile UK, Which firmware to use?

Advertisement

Hi

I’ve searched a few forums and not found the answer I was looking for; hopefully someone can shed some light on this…

I have a non T-Mobile UK 8100 handset (it's by O2) and it’s unlocked to work on any other UK network apart from 3.

I was wondering as it’s an O2 UK branded handset could I load on a T-Mobile UK firmware update/software or would they need to be from O2?

PS: I've not added it to the T-Mobile network yet, do I just call them and I assume they send me the settings?

Thanks

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: O2 UK > T-Mobile UK, Which firmware to use?

Quote Originally Posted by cottoneye
    I was wondering as it’s an O2 UK branded handset could I load on a T-Mobile UK firmware update/software or would they need to be from O2?
    Hi Cottoneye,

As has been mentioned many times in these fora, the firmware that you use is phone dependent and not provider dependent, so you can use any provider firmware that you like, as long as it is for your phone.

Do a search for vendor.xml in Pinstack for further clarifciation, as you will need to remove that file from your computer or the BB will not recognise the new firmware when you want to install it - if you are not using your own provider's firmware.

Thanks for your help sinkers!

Can I leave it as it is and just use it on the T-Mobile network with their settings?

Thanks again,

Thanks for your help sinkers!

Can I leave it as it is and just use it on the T-Mobile network with their settings?

Thanks again,

Yes. I am on Voda (UK) and I use the telfonica firmware. It is still Voda branded.

Have a look here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._own_risk.html for the link to Telefonica's firmware - which is the latest and also an explanation about the vendor.xml file

That makes more sense now,

One final question if you don't mind, as the phone belongs to a friend of mine will they need to remove the IMEI or something from their account in order for me to use it, he's on O2.

Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated

gstull no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E8EF14

I had the TMO pearl and installed the latest firmware (Telefonica) with no problem. I recently purchased the Cingular Pearl and want to install 3rd party apps but cant because Cingular hasnt posted their handheld software yet. Can I use the other other firmware which I installed on my TMO pearl? I know it has been said many times here that firmware is generic to the handset but I'm new to this stuff and am afraid to try it because of Cingulars PTT which I like and dont want to loose. Will for instance the telefonica firmware work and keep push to talk active?

That makes more sense now,

One final question if you don't mind, as the phone belongs to a friend of mine will they need to remove the IMEI or something from their account in order for me to use it, he's on O2.

Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated

I think the answer is yes.

When setting up voda email for example - one needs the IMEI