Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There is no option in the screen/keyboard settings menu for automatic backlighting. the suto backlighting ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mfcull224 no está en línea Stack level 1

No way to turn auto backlight off

Advertisement

There is no option in the screen/keyboard settings menu for automatic backlighting. the suto backlighting really annoys me, how can I turn it off??

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: No way to turn auto backlight off

you will need to upgrade to the newest OS to be able to turn that feature off.

v4.2.1.66

how exactly would i upgrade to the newest os

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

here is a link to it:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...149E92A551338E

back up bb with DM
    download/install OS to your PC
    search/delete vendor.xml file (program files/common files/research in motion/apploader)
    reboot PC
    plug bb into usb, launch DM
    if all steps performed correctly, DM will recognize newer OS on PC than on device and will prompt you to upgrade

thank you, i will try it!

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

i also had the auto-dim problem and updated per cherri's instructions. works like a champ, thx!

winzlo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

For us T-Mobile 8100 users, the T-Mobile web site only provides 4.2.0.64. Their blackberry support acknowledges the auto backlight issue which didn't exist with the older version, but has no plans to update to the newer blackberry OS for just that one issue.

Am I still safe to obtain 8100C_PBr4.2.1_rel102_PL2.3.0.57_A4.2.1.66_Telstra .exe from the above URL, or will this break what T-Mobile has set up for their 8100 Pearl's?

russcrypto no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

That is a very old and buggy OS. You'll want to upgrade to one of the more recent versions. 4.2.1.101 is the most recent. Can't post a link while mobile, but you can easily find it with a quick scan of the threads here.

To answer your question about breaking anything, when done correctly, an OS upgrade shouldn't harm the device. The only thing is replacement/warranty service through your provider. If you should need to exchange your device for some other reason, make sure and put that carrier's OS back on. There's no way for them to know if you ever had any other OS on there.

PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

The process outlined in this thread worked like a charm! Auto backlight option returned and I got 4.2.1.102 up and running.

NOTE: It took about an hour for DM to complete the process. When it completed, I did have to erase and have my e-mail service books re-sent, but that was available on the T-Mobile web site. Everyting else looks like it's working great, but if I should run into any issues, I certainly know where to come!

PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

FYI, the 4.2.1.102 update may have installed smoothly, but produced the following side-effects on my BlackBerry 8100:

1. Media: Playing a ringtone procudes a Java unhandled exception error
    2. Blackberry shuts itself off without warning, even when in stand-by mode
    3. Multiple icons of my Internet e-mail boxes appear on the menu (this was fixed by removing all service book entries for those addresses, removing them from T-Mobile's web site, pulling the battery and setting everything up again.
    4. Media: Opening Pictures on the internal memory takes over 50 seconds each time you go in, where it was nearly immediate in the previous version (4.2.0.64)

I know there are threads on a lot of these issues already, but I wanted to pass along the side-effects I had from the recommended upgrade. I'll be going back to the T-Mobile provided version (4.2.0.64) and then request they send me the original OS version that came prior to this update.

Now, I'm willing to entertain fixes for the issues listed above, but for the moment, I need the working features more than I need the ability to disable the auto backlight. Why can't I have my cake and eat it too? :-)

PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

By the way, I contacted T-Mobile BlackBerry support twice on this issue. The first time, I was advised to perform the upgrade to 4.2.1.102 (as I did, and later backed out due to bugs). Yesterday, I was told that their test phones were unable to reproduce this issue, so long as the option was turned off PRIOR to updating the OS from the original one that comes with the 8100.

I'm _4 days_ past my 14 day return of the phone, and the stores flat out refuse to work with me. So, in protest, I went back to the support lines...

I told them my situation. The person I spoke to was clueless and did the "I don't have that problem with MY 8100." After I walked her through the version identification per this thread of when the feature was removed, and when it was re-added, she checked with her supervisor who had the update and was not having auto backlight issues. Of course, I inferred that they were in a bright location, so I asked them to walk into a dark coat closet and see if their display dimmed. They refused, and I was left to assume that they were not going to properly troubleshoot the issue, no matter how "willing to work with me" they said they were.

After 30 minutes, we agreed for them to ship me a new 8100 ($15 3-day shipping or $10 for 5-10 day ground - I chose 3-day) which should arrive next Tuesday (7/31). I will then have them walk me through the steps they took to address this. If it works, I'll post the process here. If it does not, I am going to be making a MAJOR stink about RIM's policy to only exchange for the same phone, since it would be the OS and not the phone with the problem. I was advised that if they would substite anything, it would be for the T-Mobile Dash. I know that it's an additional $10 a month subscription for the Dash, and I'm not willing to pay for that, nor the smaller screen, nor the fact that all my BlackBerry content becomes useless. Either downgrade me to the 8700g (which has a NEWER OS than the 8100, even though it's an older phone!) or get me an 8800 at no additional cost. Hopefully I won't have to go down that path.

What bugs me is how the older 8700g and the newer 8800 have newer OS's than the Pearl 8100, which is being boasted as the better BlackBerry! They of course could not answer that for me, but it reinforces the theory of their wanting to force people to pay for the more expensive phones/plans to get the newer OS. That may be incorrect, but I'll wait for them to prove me wrong.

More on this as I jump through more hoops...

Jaspreet no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E77069

if you want to update the Os then go for 4.2.1.101 i had already made a post on how to install it correctly

PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

When I went to the link to download 4.2.1.101, it made me pick 4.2.1.102, which is what I tried before and had major bugs in the media player.

If you can get me a link that gets me to 4.2.1.101, I'll gladly give that a try. I'm a software tester as part of my profession, so when I do these updates, I check all features and options for differences/issues. 4.2.1.102 was pretty good outside of the media player crashing when you play any ring tone. Once I have a working link, I'll go home tonight and download 4.2.1.101 and post my results as compared to 4.2.1.102.

I'm wondering if this should go into a different thread, but it's all about the auto backlight option in the end, so...

Thanks for your help!!
    -Brian

ktorres1120 no está en línea Stack level 4

Um....I thought 4.2.1.101 was the most recent OS? What is 4.2.1.102?

PIN/ID
    208CE2E7

When you go to the link in this thread:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...149E92A551338E

You are given a drop-down list of blackberry devices. Select the Blackberry Pearl 8100 Smartphone and click Next. Your only two options are 4.2.1.102 or 4.2.0.75.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast