Hello, New blackberry user, new to the forum.. Anyway, got my first blackberry a few ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

PDM
    PDM no está en línea Stack level 1

No longer able to set homepage

Advertisement

Hello,

New blackberry user, new to the forum..

Anyway, got my first blackberry a few weeks ago, a PEARL from Rogers. Great phone, am enjoying the whole blackberry experiance.

My problem is I can no longer change the homepage. I say no longer as I ws able to do so when I first got the phone. I wanted to change it yesterday and it would not let me. This is while using RIM Internet Browser not the WAP one. (I can actually change the home page in the WAP browser) Right now it is stuck on mobile.blackberry.com. In the browser settings, the start page selection has dissapeared and home page address can not be edited or deleted.

So...my questions;

1) Anyone heard of this and has a fix?

2) If not, as a long time windows sufferer, I have learned some problems can be only fixed with a reinstall of the operating system. Is that a possible or suggested fix?

3) Is there a way to just reinstall the browser? Where would I be able to download it? (and I was not impressed with Opera)

4) If I do a reinstall, does that overwrite or delete all my settings, phone numbers, etc? Is there a way to back this up beforehand?

I think that covers it, thanks for any help you can offer.

Picasosz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B2E96
    Are you going to post in every BB Forum you do not have to reintall the browser try reading the manual.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    PDM, you can reinstall your browser without reinstalling the entire OS on it...

First off, do you have the browser on your device right now? Maybe you wrote that and I didn't see it.

Anyways, if you connect your device to desktop manager and go to Add/Remove applications, it will bring up a list with boxes check marked...Find Browser...If it is not check marked, check mark it, then click next...It will then load the browser into your device.

This can be done with any programs you want to remove and/or add back onto your device, like the memo pad, help, tasks, calendar, etc.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    PDM, Welcome to PinStack.

1) Anyone heard of this and has a fix?
    Haven't seen this but have you done a Cold Reboot (Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in), sometimes this will fix minor problems like this.

2) If not, as a long time windows sufferer, I have learned some problems can be only fixed with a reinstall of the operating system. Is that a possible or suggested fix?
    This is a solution that will probably work, but try some other things first. Go to Options/Advanced Options/Service Books and delete the Service Book for BLackBerry Internet Browsing Service. Then to Host Routing Table, open the menu and select Register Now. Return to the Service Books screen and see if the Internet Browsing Service returned. Check to see if that worked.
    4) If I do a reinstall, does that overwrite or delete all my settings, phone numbers, etc? Is there a way to back this up beforehand?
    If you use the Desktop Manager Backup/Restore function to back up before reinstalling the OS, and restore after, you shouldn't loose anything.
    Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Hope this Helps.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Perhaps this is not "broken" and therefore does need a "fix".

Are you on BES?

I have a Pearl, with Rogers, on Rogers. The homepage of the internet browser cannot be edited, however, the homepage of the BlackBerry browser can be edited.

Therefore, switch to the BlackBerry browser.

You can also set all browsers to open at the homepage or to the list of bookmarks.

PDM
    Tried all of the above and still no change. Even did a reinstall of the operating system.

And it is the blackberry browser that I can not change the homepage...I can change the homepage on rogers browser....

PIN/ID
    204B2E96
    how are you opening the browser

PDM
    From it's icon, shows the blackberry splashscreen when loading.

PIN/ID
    204B2E96
    OK On my 8100 there is only 2 browser the TZones browser and the Internet Browser there is no Blackberry browser you can however configure emulation mode as Blackberry,Openwave,Openwave Gateway, Microsuck IE MicroSuck Pocket IE and Netscape so we need to clear up the fact that there is no Blackberry Browser however there is a browser on your Blackberry.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Picasosz,

Actually there is a BlackBerry Browser. He may even have a BlackBerry Browser. There can be up to Three Browsers, The WAP Browser, commonly denoted by the Carrier Name, The Internet Browser, and finally, If you are on a BES, the MDS Browser, commonly known as the BlackBerry Browser. Some people confuse the Internet Browser with the BlackBerry Browser, due to the Fact that during the Inital page load on opening the Splash screen has the "BlackBerry" Logo and Name, while the WAP Splash screen shows the Carriers Splash Screen.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles