Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yeah I couldn't imagine rockin' the berry without the data plan. Great way to help ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

avante no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2405C4B1

Re: No Data Plan? You can still download OTA!!

Advertisement

Yeah I couldn't imagine rockin' the berry without the data plan. Great way to help those out without a DP though! Keep up the good work!

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4

I downloaded the device sims ok and got them to run, but I had a hard time following some of the steps when it came to getting the the apps I downloaded in the sim, to show up in the DM. I got lost after step 5. As was stated earlier, I had no idea where the files went as they were being copied. Can someone help clear this up???

b_d0za no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by drew4flt72
    I downloaded the device sims ok and got them to run, but I had a hard time following some of the steps when it came to getting the the apps I downloaded in the sim, to show up in the DM. I got lost after step 5. As was stated earlier, I had no idea where the files went as they were being copied. Can someone help clear this up???
    When it looks like the files are being copied over and it stops and asks you to connect your new phone or whatever do this:

Open My Computer and type in the address bar %temp% and hit enter. This will open your local temp folder.

Click the search button on the toolbar and search all files and folders for *.alx and you should find 1 file that is named something like 23fgy45. If you don't see it try enabling view hidden files and folders in Tools>>Folder Options>>View.

Right click this file and you should see an option to open the folder it is in. In this folder you should see files with the names of the apps you backed up.

You need to now go up one folder(try the button on the toolbar that has a folder with a green arrow pointing up) and remember the name of the alx file as the folder is has the same name. It should be your pin if you know it.

Copy this entire folder and save it somewhere else on your pc. It should just contain one .alx file and seperate files for each of the applications you backed up.

Now disable the simulated usb connection, close the simulators, cancel the wizard for switching phones and close DM.

Connect your actual phone and go into DM and App Loader.

Click on add new and navigate to the folder you saved with your apps.

Now you should be able to install them.

KRAD cleared this stuff up for me in this thread:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...estion_ya.html

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for ya.

pat_ty no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by b_d0za
    I didn't have to configure the browser. Make sure you have the MDS simulator running at the same time as the device simulator.
    It is working!!! Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks for all of your help b_d0za but I'm still encountering problems. Once I pull up the "temp" folder, the files that I want to save do not have an .alx extension. The files are there, just no extension. Therefore, when I look for these files by way of the DM, there's nothing to load. Here's a question for ya'...When it asks me if I want to backup my device, do all three boxes get checked or just the last one (All non-system Apps)???

Thanks for all of your help b_d0za but I'm still encountering problems. Once I pull up the "temp" folder, the files that I want to save do not have an .alx extension. The files are there, just no extension. Therefore, when I look for these files by way of the DM, there's nothing to load. Here's a question for ya'...When it asks me if I want to backup my device, do all three boxes get checked or just the last one (All non-system Apps)???
    Only check that last checkbox. Are you getting a message saying that you need to download OTA again? If so what version of DM are you using and what os is on your phone?

EDIT: Wait a minute, that is right, the file you want should not have an extension. There should be a seperate file with a .alx extension in the same folder you found the app you want. You need EVERYTHING IN THAT FOLDER. Desktop Manager picks up the .alx file. The filename of the .alx file will be yourpin.alx where yourpin is your pin for your phone. Is this .alx file in that folder or not?? Remember that it will automatically be deleted from the temp folder when you exit the switch device wizard. If this file does not show up in that folder with your apps then I ask the same questions as above. What version of DM are you using and what OS version do you have on your phone from which carrier? Also what version of the Simulator are you using?
    Last edited by b_d0za; 04-06-2007 at 02:40 AM.

Also, I just figured out that the files with no extensions are actually cod files. You just need to add .cod to the end of the file name. then you can load them with javaloader if you know how.

I saved the folder to my desktop and gave it name. When I go to DM, it does not recognize any file in the folder (which was the PIN folder) as an .alx. When you say save EVERYTHING in the folder, does that include the two files PkgDBCache.xml and specification.pkg that stay there after the files go away??? I'm running .64 on my OS with TMo. The DM is 4.2.0.10 and the device sim is 4.2.0. Thanks again in advance b_d0za.

For some reason some people never get the .alx file. But the good news is you still have a chance. The files with no extension are actually cod files. You just need to add .cod to the end of the file names.

You can load the .cod files with javaloader if you know how. Or you can make the .alx file if you know how.

Here is something from someone that had the same problem:

Quote Originally Posted by Vires
    So I finally got it working, but not as easily or efficiently as expected. I had to install the simulator, desktop software etc. on my Laptop. I found on my Laptop (running Windows XP) all the temp files were saved, well in the %temp% folder; where as on my machine running Vista they were nowhere to be found. Also, I had to rename all the files adding the COD extention and I found no ALX file in the folder, but had to create my own:
    Code:
    <loader version="1.0">
    <application id="OTA Downloads">
    <name>OTA Downloads</name>
    <description>Mobile Blackberry Downloads</description>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <vendor>Mobile Blackberry</vendor>
    <copyright>Vires<copyright>
    <fileset Java="1.0">
    <files>
    BassAssassin.cod
    com_plazmic_games_circlepopper.cod
    com_plazmic_games_circlepopper_graphics_resources_ 240x260.cod
    com_plazmic_games_circlepopper_sounds_resources_QC MIDI_MP3.cod
    com_plazmic_games_meteorcrusher.cod
    com_plazmic_games_meteorcrusher_graphics_resources _240x160.cod
    com_plazmic_games_meteorcrusher_sounds_resources_Q CMIDI_MP3.cod
    KaGlom.cod
    Klondike.cod
    MedievalKings2.cod
    SpiderSolitaire.cod
    Sudoku.cod
    THK2.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    </application>
    </loader>
    I think that's almost every game (I missed Raging Rivers or something like that), hope it helps.
    It looks like you could make the .alx file based on his. Good luck.
    Last edited by b_d0za; 04-07-2007 at 03:09 AM.

Well, I renamed the files I wanted to dl as .cod and that didn't work. I then changed them to .alx files and when I clicked on "add" and the file I want to dl, it gives me a "There is a syntax error on Line 1" error message. Where can I find javaloader?? Would that do the trick??

Well, I renamed the files I wanted to dl as .cod and that didn't work. I then changed them to .alx files and when I clicked on "add" and the file I want to dl, it gives me a "There is a syntax error on Line 1" error message. Where can I find javaloader?? Would that do the trick??
    Desktop manager can only read the .alx file. The files you want to dl are cod files. If you haven't already done so, give them that extension. They will not work as .alx files.

As I stated previously, you can load the .cod files to your pearl with javaloader. It is a part of blackberry JDE. But you must use it in DOS or make a batch file to use it. Your best bet may be to:

1. take the code that I provided in my last post that Vires used to make the .alx file. Just open up notepad and copy that code into it.

2. Erase everything between <files> and </files>. These are the names of the applications.

3. Add the exact names of the applications you want to load between <files> and </files> just like Vires had his his in there.

4. Save and name the file something.alx and put it in the same folder with all the files you added the .cod extension to (your applications you want to load).

5. Open up App Loader in DM and see if it recognizes this .alx file you just made. Remember it has to be in the same folder as all your apps and they need to have the .cod extension.

Hope this helps. Let me know.
    Last edited by b_d0za; 04-07-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks b, I'll give that a try....

xxbenbenxx no está en línea Stack level 1

i can't find the Sun JDK 5.0 and the link on the other fourm didn't direct me straight to it i'm lost

bonelafide no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FFECE7

can i use this just to test out things like BBmessenger and BBmaps?
    and will that give me any problems?

apiorkow no está en línea Stack level 1

if u dont have data plan does it cost money to be OTA surfing that net and doesn't it cost money to download games?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast